Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rucksack size recommendations

Options
  • 15-08-2009 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Planning on camping out overnight next weekend when hillwalking. I have a Vango Banshee 200 and sleeping bag to pack along with some food/water/clothes etc. just looking for recommendations on rucksack size.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Honestly depends on how much stuff you are going to bring.
    If you go very light weight (mountain marathon style) you can fit a full set of overnight kit, and food, in 25/30 litres.

On the other hand, if you've a big tent, sleeping bag, change of clothes, cooking equipment, lots of food etc you might need 50l or maybe even more.

It really depends on how many creature comforts you need, the size of your gear, etc.

Have you any bag of which you know the capacity?
    First, pack that with what you really need to bring, and put it on your back.
    Then, remove the stuff that you realise you don't really need, put it on your back. Repeat a few times. :-)

See how much room you have left, or kit you have over, and use that to estimate the ideal capacity you want, accordingly - really don't think there's a better way. If you've no better solution, bring all your kit to an outdoor shop and make sure it all fits in whatever size bag you are considering - but if you do this, make sure not to either end up buying a huge bag, or lots of expensive smaller gear!!

For 2 overnights in winter conditions, with some spare clothes, cooking equipment, small tent, small sleeping bag, lots of food, I need around 45/50l.
    If I go very very light I can squeeze it into 30, if I use a big winter tent and sleeping bag, I need more like 55/60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I don't even carry a tent, and I always carry a 120L ruck. It's always full, too.

Donny5 wrote: »
    I don't even carry a tent, and I always carry a 120L ruck. It's always full, too.

Well, that's the issue isn't it - really, the size required is such an individual thing, depends on the amount and type of your gear, the type of expedition, the amount of contingencies you allow for, etc.

120l sounds like a lot of gear for a weekend camping trip to me, especially without a tent, but its not right or wrong, just a different way of doing things.

fergalr wrote: »
    Well, that's the issue isn't it - really, the size required is such an individual thing, depends on the amount and type of your gear, the type of expedition, the amount of contingencies you allow for, etc.

120l sounds like a lot of gear for a weekend camping trip to me, especially without a tent, but its not right or wrong, just a different way of doing things.

I guess my point is that the bigger your ruck, the more you'll carry.

Anyway, anything less than 20kg is softcore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

120L is ridiculous imo. What the hell are you carrying?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

What are you doing that requires so much kit?

1l water
    2l sleeping bag
    .5l first aid kit
    2l rations
    2l basha
    2l misc equipment
    110.5l body of boardsie that asked too many questions

I've not met donny, but from his previous posts on here he seems to belong to the pretty hardcore school of outdoor craft, so I wouldn't be too pointed in my questioning :-P

I'm betting you bring fairly well built, bigger, reliable, army style gear, Donny, and plenty of bushcraft style stuff, and that's where the volume goes?

Like the other guys, 120l seems like a lot to me; is there any one item that's particularly big, or is it just lots of things adding up? Just idly curious - always interesting to know what way other people are doing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

paulocon wrote: »
    Hi,

Planning on camping out overnight next weekend when hillwalking. I have a Vango Banshee 200 and sleeping bag to pack along with some food/water/clothes etc. just looking for recommendations on rucksack size.

Paul, a fairly solid size recommendation would be for something like a 60 + 15/20L type pack. Here's a good offer from Jackson Sports for something that doesn't scream of outdoor hero, but will do the job for years and years:

http://jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7208

Would also recommend having a look at something from Deuter if you can make it into the Great Outdoors - They carry a good range of their products.

The Lowe has an adjustable back, so the usual warnings about sizing are somewhat moot - I'd take a punt on it if I didn't have time to go to gear shops to browse around.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Gil

fergalr wrote: »
    1l water
    2l sleeping bag
    .5l first aid kit
    2l rations
    2l basha
    2l misc equipment
    110.5l body of boardsie that asked too many questions

I've not met donny, but from his previous posts on here he seems to belong to the pretty hardcore school of outdoor craft, so I wouldn't be too pointed in my questioning :-P

I'm betting you bring fairly well built, bigger, reliable, army style gear, Donny, and plenty of bushcraft style stuff, and that's where the volume goes?

Like the other guys, 120l seems like a lot to me; is there any one item that's particularly big, or is it just lots of things adding up? Just idly curious - always interesting to know what way other people are doing things.

:D The 110.5l body of boardsie that asked too many questions is the rations!

I carry a load of crap, stuff I probably don't need. Most of my gear is army surplus, because you can't break it. Climbing up stupid inclines and sliding down the other side is no fun when your poxy Lowe Alpine ruck falls apart or the stitching on the shoulder straps breaks because 30kg is too many kg (according to one store when I tried to return gear).

A lot of the bulk is because I carry everything in dry bags in case I decide to jump in a lake, and you just can't compress things in a dry bag like you can when you're shoving them in manually.

It's also hilarious when dayhikers or lighterweight campers come across you lugging a bergen up Luggala and give you dirty looks, as though I'm bringing the tone of the mountain down.

Also, Fergal, you forgot booze. As least 2l of that!

Advertisement