Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Moon.

Options
  • 15-08-2009 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

There was one last Thursday/Friday [5-6th]
    Did anyone else's animals go a bit ape sh*t?
    My beloved hamster escaped, went down the stairs, did god only knows what, and my dad found her dead outside the kitchen:(

I was in pet shops that weekend and the bunnies, hamsters and stuff were going crazy in their cages..
    I want to know what happened to my hamster, this is all I can come up with. Anyone else have crazy animals when there is a full moon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yes, our dogs are proper "lunatics" during nights with full moon.

But that one's easily explained: Due to the nights being brighter, there is more wildlife activity outside during the night and the dogs can see most of it as well ...so they tend to be a bit hyper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Anna Molly

Haha what about hamsters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Wow that's awful about your hamster I'm sorry to hear that.
    I'm afraid I don't know about why they go mad during full moon, as peasant said, full moon = brighter and things are more visible / maybe more active. As hamsters are generally nocturnal perhaps he just got worked up.
    I know my dogs can get a bit unsettled during full moons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Poor hamster:-(

Doubt it was anything to do with a full moon, hamsters are notorious escape artists so it was probably just bad luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

My hamster Hammy (lazy ass namers) constanly escaped. She learned to open evey cage we got for her.I never noticed if it was worse during full moons. She always tried to move house under the oven.
    What i learned from it is that hamsters do not make good pets. they don't like living in cages, they don't like human comapny, so just stop subjecting them to human cruelty. A animal that likes being a pet returns to their owner when let off.
    Just a thought for Animal lovers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have had hammies a few times, and although they aren't the most ideal pet many can become very tame and you can create a bond. Many do like human company. However they are nocturnal and naturally travel large distances at night this can make them bored and frustrated and want to escape.

Having a secure house is important but cages aren't really great for hamsters, something like a large Habitrail or Rotastack (sp?) (once tubes are regularly checked and extra secured with sellotape on outside) or a converted fish tank (with timber wire lid) etc. are safer options.

Hamsters do tend to need an owner that will let them out in the evenings for a run about, they aren't a great pet for kids they are noisy at night and hate being disturbed during the day.

They're a lovely critter but the majorty of hammies are kept in cramped boring conditions people aren't willing to make space for them. They get them thinking they'll be grand in a tiny cage and they won't get in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Yeah , My husky sometimes just sits in the middle of the garden howling when theres a full moon, It's kind of cool so I just sit and watch him sometimes.

Advertisement