Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ive just turned 19 and want a tattoo

Options
  • 15-08-2009 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

All my friends say I should leave it a year.. I want a large one on my shoulder. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

have you any particular design/theme in mind? best to find a design you like and wait a year - see if you still like it then - if so go get it. nothing worse then getting a large tattoo and hating it a year or so later. I personally started small - got it when i turned 20. I am now working/saving up for my next tat which will be considerably larger.
    hope this helps. no doubt more here will give more advice/tips then I - :) keep us updated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if you want it go for it - I think your friends are thinking that maybe you might change your mind ....and they might be right (or the might be wrong)

Either way - its your body - your decision.

some tats look good on people....some dont.

as the other poster said - start small... then if you want get a larger one. (so you get a taste for the experience first)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭blacon9

Yeah i'd definitely start small if i were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I wouldn't say start small. Just proceed slowly! Put lots of time and thought into what you want done, and maybe draw it up, or print off a design you like, put it somewhere you'll see it all the time and see how much you like it months later! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 millnc30

I wouldn't say start small. Just proceed slowly! Put lots of time and thought into what you want done, and maybe draw it up, or print off a design you like, put it somewhere you'll see it all the time and see how much you like it months later! :)

As DamoELDiablo said:cool:I waited 4 years b4 i got mine,i only have mine 2weeks now and luv it:DI put alot of time and thought in to it,so the design of mine is very personal to me.Just take ur time and dont rush it,like my friend did,he got a picture of Freddie Kruger on his forearm and regrets it now,his words are Why did i get that done??? So think long and hard what you want and where you want it.Anyway best of luck with it,and if you do go for it be sure to post up pics:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Jessica xxx

All my friends say I should leave it a year.. I want a large one on my shoulder. Any advice?
    I would get it where it can be hidden if needs be, alot of people get tattos around your age and by the time they are 23/24/25 they are sick of them totally. If i had a choice of having no tattos now i would have none. I like one of my tattos but the other 2 im sick of.... So just make sure its something you really really want and be wise of what you get and the size also, and if it is something u decide you wana go for, best of luck!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

I would advise more to try and wait a year AFTER you get your first one. I remember before I got my first one, I had thought getting about 2 more after, but hadn't given them much thought. When I got home from getting my first, I peeled off the cling film and was like, 'ok, what am I getting next, and where, and when...'. So many ppl are like this, you could be covered in a year!

So like some of the other posters have said, I'd wait a while before you get it done, and another while before your next one.

You change so much between 18 and 25, every year you wait will take you closer to something you'll like when you're 40. Try and get to know a tattooist, watch them work, see what they do. I didn't know they used stencils when I first went, and would have made a better job of the design if I knew it was going to be copied directly. Also, try not to go with an exact design, rather let the tattooist have input. It's taken me 3 goes to realise that even the world's best tattooist is unlikely to do a great job on a design you hand it to him / her.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

even though it's good advice, its tough to wait, especially if you know what you want and have decided you definitely want one. i decided on the final design for my first one about 20 minutes before i got it done, that was 3 years ago and i still love it.
    and as soon as i peeled off the cling film, I was also figuring out what i would get next! it's an expensive habit but it is definatly addictive!
    basically, go for it! especially if it's small!! those ones are harder to regret and easier to cover up if needs be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 anuk

I would wait for some time before making the tattoo and I would choose a design and see if I would still like it after some time has passed. If after say a year has passed and I will stilll like the idea of the design and the tattoo I would then go for it. I would definetly wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 krystel

I think we're all different...

the "start small" theory doesnt make sense to me for one simple reason: you might regret it later. not because it's permanent but because you always wanted something bigger and you might have to cover it up.

i think a tattoo has to be thought over and over for a while before you get started. and if she wants something rather big, well she should get it that way.

I started getting tattooed about 4years ago now and i didnt start with "small". I got started on a sleeve. and i have no regrets. i actually think it was smarter than going for the smaller option i would probably need covered up right now.

but again, it's her body and her call!

• Advertisement
Advertisement