Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Problem - Any solutions?

Options
  • 15-08-2009 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

A friend had a small downstairs extension built recently. It included connecting a new radiator to his existing system. When the job was completed, his heating system failed. First suggested solution was to replace the pump (which was old) with a new, more powerful pump.

He did did but the problem remained.

He called in a new plumber who told him that it was either a blockage or an air lock. He drained the system but the problem remains.

He is now suggesting that all the piping (gun barrell) needs to be replaced. This would involve digging up floors, floor boards etc., etc.

Besides the mess, it would cost him a small fortune that he cannot afford.

Anyone got any thoughts on what may be causing the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

No but no harm getting a couple of opinions. Try get a plumber that has worked with GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

What reason was given for replacing the gun barrel ?

Despite what many people think gun barrel is not such a bad system, the main problems tend to be caused when GB is buried in concrete.

Was the system power flushed ? it is possible that the problem is caused by dirt in the system, it could also be caused by excessive use of boss white and hemp when joining in the pipes for the new rad.

Perhaps the system needs to be balanced, I'm sure others will have a few more possible causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

PeteHeat wrote: »
    Hi,

What reason was given for replacing the gun barrel ?

Not sure why they've suggested replacing the gun barrell. My friend seems to think that they may be just "creating a job"

I'll pass on your thoughts. Thanks.

Advertisement