Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Course?

Options
  • 15-08-2009 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

leving cert next year lads.. not a clue what im gonna do:rolleyes:
    subjects are
    physic
    dcg
    german
    art
    english/irish/maths

geographically speaking i probably prefer to go to galway but its not vital or anything. kind of interested in architecture or maybe pyscology or the like.. any tips as to what course would suit me? that has decent money as well as satisfying work.. aiming for about 550 points or so.. any help would be appreciated! thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

Did you consider going to a Career Guidance Counsellor- in your school or privately? They're of help sometimes (though not always).

You mentioned psychology, I do that as part of my course. It's not exactly like what many people would perceive it to be... A lot of people in my course hated it in my first semester of college, it got better after that. In my course at least there is a serious amount of reading to do, maybe a chapter or two of quite a thick big book every week...could be 50+ pages. A primary degree in Psychology alone is not usually enough to get employment in it. You'd have to do a masters after your first degree as a professional qualification, be it clinical psychology, educational psychology etc. You could do Psych in Galway.

I was considering doing architecture when I was filling out my Cao, I decided against it in the end though. The subjects you're doing are very well suited to it .. physics, art and DCG... that's a good start. But you'd have to give serious consideration to the future of the job with the amount of architects that are unemployed at the moment. But that could be totally different by the time you qualify. No job is certain at the moment. The closest place to you for doing architecture would probably be UL.

Your favourite subjects should be a guide for what course you choose. So many people enter courses that have large portions of time dedicated to subjects they hated in secondary school, because they did not research the course well.

And I wouldn't be too worried about the CAO yet. You have until next February, and if you are not applying for restricted courses you have until next June.

Best of Luck in the year ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭adamtj09

It's kinda funny how theres a new breed now of new Leaving Cert hopefuls already!!!None of us "veterans" even have a place yet in college!!:D

Best of luck to yas!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

ha ya were already being moved off this forum!!..damn what will i spend my free time doing now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr.Helpful

ok here's a piece of advice for yourself. Have a look at college prospectus' and see what takes your fancy, remember money doesnt equal happiness!!! Take me for example I've picked auctioneering in DIT as my number 1 and let me tell you there is shag all money and jobs in the sector at the moment but that doesnt really bother me as I'm reallly interested in it plus if you really like what your doing, it will never become "work" per se!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

college open days .. go to them alll they really heped me decide what i wanted to do and where i wanted to do it :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement