Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Needed Psychology or Psychoanalysis!!

• 15-08-2009 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi new to these forums, just looking for a bit of guidance, I'm about to start a degree in Psychology with Open University but the truth be told I have a love for Psychoanalysis and am now looking at the degree in DBS. From a career point of view which is the best place to start, would a degree in Psychology and a Masters in Psychotherapy keeps all doors open or would I be best doing a degree and Masters in Psychotherapy! Any help appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I did my BA and MA there. Though it was LSB at the time of my BA, then changed to DBS by the time of my MA. I don't think they do the BA in Psychoanalytic Studies any more though the Psychology BA has alot of Psychoanalysis in it, and that is PSI accredited. DBS is not only focused on Freud but also draws very strongly on the work of a French analysis Jacques Lacan who is very difficult to read, so I would suggest you try reading a few introductory books on him if you are thinking of DBS.

Career wise I'm working in the Addiction Services for the past 12 years. I did the Research MA as I was already working in the area by then, but the clinical MA there is also run through St Vincents Hospital and you get a wide range of placements through it.

However, if I was to do it again I would go for psychology merely career wise it would open more doors for you. I went for Psychoanalysis as I was reading psychology and psychoanaltic books for a good while before hand and my interest was more towards psychoanalysis. Most of us don't do this work for money but you would earn more in the psychology area.

Also to add I not saying there are not significant commitments with psychology there are. However with psychoanalysis the is a significant commitment around ones analysis. I was in analysis for five years, for three of them it was twice a week. If I can be of any help with the psychoanalysis side of things feel free to ask any questions here, or PM if you wish.

Advertisement