Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research A Soldier

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

"C" COY means C company.D of D ..he may have died in a military hospital in 1921

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Thanks Matt, hadn't considered him being in hospital!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

tyview wrote: »

the 1st bn was demobilised in 1918. Would this be right? If so I'm wondering why his DOD states 1921.

not sure where the info re 1st Battn being demobilised in 1918 comes from. They were in Palestine in 1918. 6th Battn ceased to exist in 1918. 1st and 2nd Battalions were disbanded in 1922 with the creation of the Irish Free State. The Connaught Rangers Mutiny in June 1920 was initiated by men of the 1st Battalion, C Company.

The CWGC cut off date for WW1 deaths is 31st August 1921. He needn't have been in hospital. Daly who was shot for mutiny in November 1920 was still entitled to a CWGC commemoration

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1498907

as was John Miranda who died in prison post mutiny

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1481689

For Michael Casey, his number 7144229 is one issued after the Army re-numbering exercise carried out in August 1920. I cannot find a WW1 medal card for a Michael Casey for this number. Any chance that there are any medals in the family for him to confirm number/regiment during 1914-1919?

You might like to adopt his record on Findagrave :

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=casey&GSfn=michael&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1921&GSdyrel=in&GSob=n&GRid=23737593&df=all&

The Connaught Rangers were allocated the block 7143001 thru to 7177000 in August 1920.

There was an order to the renumbering exercise, seniority, number, service meant that you appeared higher in the new numbering.

7143002 went to the RSM,, J Callaghan/Callinan
    WO Class I John Pont was issued 7143006. His previous number was 4796

5369 James Duncan became 7143010
    6373 Albert Stanton became 7143017

9045 George Bonnick became 714143
    possibly, 9088 Michael Casey became 7143146

35038 John Miranda became 7144229
    35232 James Daly became 7144396

9088 Private Michael Casey was entitled to the 1914/15 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal having entered the Balkans ie Gallipoli (the 5th Battalion was formed in Dublin in August 1914 and sent to Gallipoli) 2nd Oct 1915. There's a note to say 1743 KR 1912 (King's Regulations 1912, paragraph 1743 - couldn't deliver the medals which were then to be kept in store for 10 years before being destroyed)

http://www.naval-military-press.com/record-of-the-5th-service-battalion-the-connaught-rangers-from-19th-august-1914-to-17th-january-1916.html

The Connaught Rangers were allocated the block 7143001 thru to 7177000 in August 1920.

There was an order to the renumbering exercise, seniority, number, service meant that you appeared higher in the new numbering.

7143002 went to the RSM,, J Callaghan/Callinan
    WO Class I John Pont was issued 7143006. His previous number was 4796

5369 James Duncan became 7143010
    6373 Albert Stanton became 7143017

9045 George Bonnick became 714143
    possibly, 9088 Michael Casey became 7143146

35038 John Miranda became 7144229
    35232 James Daly became 7144396

9088 Private Michael Casey was entitled to the 1914/15 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal having entered the Balkans ie Gallipoli (the 5th Battalion was formed in Dublin in August 1914 and sent to Gallipoli) 2nd Oct 1915. There's a note to say 1743 KR 1912 (King's Regulations 1912, paragraph 1743 - couldn't deliver the medals which were then to be kept in store for 10 years before being destroyed)

http://www.naval-military-press.com/record-of-the-5th-service-battalion-the-connaught-rangers-from-19th-august-1914-to-17th-january-1916.html

Thank you so much, feel like I've loads of info on him now and to think this time yesterday he was only a name on the 1901 census.

• Advertisement

duplicate..sorry

realised that I placed the worng number in the text

"For Michael Casey, his number 7144229 is one issued after the Army re-numbering exercise".

Sorry about that.

Haven't been able to confirm that 7143146 was 9088 so at the moment it's just a theory. It is possible that your man didn't serve in WW1 or possibly served in another regiment. If there were any medals in the family they would help confirm or disprove the theory.

it would be worthwhile trying to delve into some material re the Connuaght Rangers Mutiny to see if there is any reference to him. He's not on the list Brendan Lee has put together

http://www.irishmedals.org/gpage6.html

but there might be something lurking in a newspaper archive or book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Hi everyone, due to some rare circumstances, I've found myself in Belgium for a few weeks! I was up in Leper (Ypes) for a day last week, and visited the Flanders Museum, the Menin Gate, and Tyne Cot Cemetry - and was honestly moved by the scale of the un-ending list of Irish names!

This got me to thinking about a name I heard many years ago, and all I could remember was a surname, and a location. By searching the CWGC website, I found who I was looking for: Joseph Dougal.

Find A Grave link.

A quick search on google maps, tells me it's little over a 2 hour drive from here to the Serre cemetry, and I feel compelled to go there, just to pay my respect to my great, great uncle. I might never get such an opportunity again.

I have no idea how to find any further details about him, how he died, how he lived - any direction/assistance/help would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Unfortunately his service records seems to have been badly burned during the Blitz but there are still some available on Ancestry.com including the receipt that his sister Katie signed for his Victory Medal.

You should try and find out what the Royal Irish Fusiliers (8th Bn) were doing and whee on the day of his death, 06/09/1916.

A quick Google search says that the 8th Bn were part of the 16th Irish Division so try and find a chronology for the 16th online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

22nd Bn, DLI, Born Eyremouth, Berwickshire and enlisted in North Shields, died of wounds. Formerly he was with the Northumberland Fusiliers where his number was 32873.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

The 8th battalion do have a war diary for that time around your relatives death so it is possible to find out what was happening on those days,it most likely won't mention his name but might give you a better idea of events.

enfield wrote: »
    22nd Bn, DLI, Born Eyremouth, Berwickshire and enlisted in North Shields, died of wounds. Formerly he was with the Northumberland Fusiliers where his number was 32873.
    Cheers.
    Tom.
    Hi Tom,SDGW gives Joseph Dougal as been formely with the Royal Irish Regiment with a number of 3658 and birth and enlistment location of Newtown Cunningham Co.Donegal.

He enlisted at the age of 19 and his occupation was that of a labourer,his mothers name was Jane and his fathers was Hugh,he had three sister's at the time there names been Nellie who was 30,katie 26 and Mary 24 living at a place called Moneygreggan.He enlisted on the 19/7/1915 into the 6th battalion of the Royal Irish Regiment and was posted to Kilworth Camp on the 22/7/1915,he then was transferred to the 8th battalion of the Royal Irish Fusiliers on the 14/10/1915.He was 5ft 10in tall with a chest measurement of 36 and a half inches weighing 146 pounds.He went to France on the 19/2/1916 embarking at Southampton and was promoted Acting Corporal on the 28/4/1916,the casualty document has details of his death but it's too faded to read.His Memorial Scroll was signed for by his Father(I think) on the 20th of May 1920 and his British War and Victory medal were signed for by his sister Katie on the 1st of September 1922.

Arnham you are correct when I looked at
    'This got me to thinking about a name I heard many years ago, and all I could remember was a surname, and a location. By searching the CWGC website, I found who I was looking for: James Dougal.'

I just searched for JAMES Dougal, my mistake it should have been Joseph.
    Cheers.
    Tomn,

From 'The County Donegal Book of Honour' page 154.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

enfield wrote: »
    Arnham you are correct when I looked at .........

I just searched for JAMES Dougal, my mistake it should have been Joseph.
    Cheers.
    Tomn,

Sorry Tom, my mistake, not yours - it is indeed Joseph Dougal.
    I have his War Medal at home, along with my teenage coin collection, but I haven't looked at this in over 20 years. I don't know what came over me, but looking at all those names on the Menin Gate, and row after row of white stones at Tyne Cot, just made me sad, and full of respect for the young men that died there.
    arnhem44 wrote: »
    Hi Tom,SDGW gives Joseph Dougal as been formely with the Royal Irish Regiment with a number of 3658 and birth and enlistment location of Newtown Cunningham Co.Donegal.

He enlisted at the age of 19 .....

WOW! That is fantastic information! I really do appreciate the effort you are making on my behalf! I know it is a very small payback, but I will be going to Serre Cemetery, with hopefully a re-visit to Tyne Cot, or one of the other Memorial sites - if there is any grave, or name engraving that you would like a picture of - don't hesitate to ask! If I can get there next week, I will happily do so.

I'm not a sentimental kind of person, (my Wife can testify to that!), but such a vast loss of life, by so many young Irish men, cannot be forgotten. I honestly felt embarassed that I knew so little about this man, good or bad, rogue or hero - but killed in conflict, aged 20!

Dougal.jpg
    Cheers.
    Tom.

the service document and the census records vary the surname between Dougal and Dougall :

1911 census for the family
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Newtown_Cunningham/Glar/500805/

1901 census
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Newtowncunningham/Glar/1190920/

The parents aged rapidly between 1901 and 1911 (the old age pension was introduced between those dates.....).

Thanks to everyone for their help, I'm amazed by your efforts, and the trouble you went to on my behalf.

I jumped in the car and drove 140km to Serre No.2 Cemetery this morning. I stopped off at the 9th Scottish Memorial, and Point Du Jour cemetery on my way.

I was taken aback by the number of graves at Serre - so many lives, so many graves of an "Unknown Soldier", so many families affected, so much pain.

I sat there for over an hour, just thinking of what kind of hell those soldiers went through, nearly 100 years ago; and hope to heaven that my kids are never exposed to such horror.

I hope to get a picture or two posted up soon.

Thanks again to everyone - it is really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CCMYPLAYMATE

im in possesion of 2 ww1 medals and a queen mary christmas box belong to a Pte J Commiskey 4804 of the 7th batallion of the leinster regiment buried in carmin north of arras can any one help on how to get his service records as to find out where he might come from .. finding it difficult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

im in possesion of 2 ww1 medals and a queen mary christmas box belong to a Pte J Commiskey 4804 of the 7th batallion of the leinster regiment buried in carmin north of arras can any one help on how to get his service records as to find out where he might come from .. finding it difficult

here are 2 medal cards for the name and number above but i cant find any information at the moment about the KIA details, maybe someone else can help.

• Advertisement

Private J. Commiskey 4804 Leinster Regiment was not a casualty.Pte.John Comiskey is the soldier listed as been KIA,his service number was 1519 and he served with the 7th Battalion of the Leinster's who was born and enlisted in Belfast living at an address of 21 Upton Street, his service record does survive but badly damaged.The medals you have belonged to a pre war regular and it looks like his record is one of those lost in the blitz of WW2,he was entitled to a 1914 Star with Roses and Clasp,British War medal and Victory medal.He entered a theater of war on the 25th of October 1914 and later served with the Connaught Rangers with the number of 31549,a second medal index card also exists for this soldier showing his number as 32549,one of the two numbers is an error.Based on his regiment number for the Leinster's would indicate that he enlisted sometime in the middle of 1896 and would appear he was in the second battalion arriving in France on the 12th of September at St Nazaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CCMYPLAYMATE

Private J. Commiskey 4804 Leinster Regiment was not a casualty.Pte.John Comiskey is the soldier listed as been KIA,his service number was 1519 and he served with the 7th Battalion of the Leinster's who was born and enlisted in Belfast living at an address of 21 Upton Street, his service record does survive but badly damaged.The medals you have belonged to a pre war regular and it looks like his record is one of those lost in the blitz of WW2,he was entitled to a 1914 Star with Roses and Clasp,British War medal and Victory medal.He entered a theater of war on the 25th of October 1914 and later served with the Connaught Rangers with the number of 31549,a second medal index card also exists for this soldier showing his number as 32549,one of the two numbers is an error.Based on his regiment number for the Leinster's would indicate that he enlisted sometime in the middle of 1896 and would appear he was in the second battalion arriving in France on the 12th of September at St Nazaire.

Thanks so much great help !! It's more info but probably won't lead to the medals being returned ,, but hey we know more now thanks alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 crowdaw

Hi all
    Just stumbled across this by chance and was wondering if anyone can help me.

Some time ago I purchased an old folding Lifeguard trench periscope, made by F. Duerr & Sons, at an auction. Inscribed on it is "AH McLean 10th R.I.RIFLEB". I'm interested in tracing what might have happened to him. I know the 10th was a services battalion but I don't know anything else & everytime I go searching I run around in circles being distracted by what I'm finding :>).

Much appreciated
    Seamus

Hi Seamus,I've only had a quick look and there are soldiers by the name of A Mclean or McClean but none are matching to the 10th battalion,does the telescope have a makers date on it or is there are other details inscribed on it?

Thanks for the reply and quick findings.
    I'm afraid there is no date markings on the periscope. I've attached some shots of it which shows the careful manner in which he inscribed his name, unless he was told one thing & was then posted elsewhere.
    With regards to date of the item, I've failed to find firm indications of dating bar one entry here http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30541&st=0&p=240893&hl=lifeguard&fromsearch=1&#entry240893 but the relevant photo is no longer there, and some pictures/comments here by the same person: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/42033-rare-boer-war-trench-periscope/page__st__20: note the accordian bars are individual bars. As the bars of mine are u-shaped to provide lateral stability it must be the revised model but I still have no date for it.

An interesting group of photos showing the periscope in use at http://lagrandeguerre.cultureforum.net/t37364-lifeguard-trench-periscope.

Kind regards
    Seamus

Hi Seamus,I've only had a quick look and there are soldiers by the name of A Mclean or McClean but none are matching to the 10th battalion,does the telescope have a makers date on it or is there are other details inscribed on it?

i had a look and came up with the same as you A44 but there is an Alexander McLean 1204 18th Batt R. Irish Rifles it is possable he transfered but would a private have such an item?

It would be unusual but, as the periscope could be bought openly, it could belong to anyone. The cost of 20 shillings (£1) would roughly equate to about £40 stg today so, yes, he could be any rank.

However, against that, your average Tommy would have been keeping his head down & certainly wouldn't be looking over the top on his own time. If he was on duty, he would have been provided with the big wooden periscope. An officer would have far more reason to require his own method of looking over the top so I've been leaning to the idea he was an officer. If no officer fits the bill, though,...

It looks like it had some use in it's time; a lot of wear & tear on the corners, a few dings and I would say the mirror(s) have been replaced at some stage.

Kind regards
    Seamus

crowdaw wrote: »
    It would be unusual but, as the periscope could be bought openly, it could belong to anyone. The cost of 20 shillings (£1) would roughly equate to about £40 stg today so, yes, he could be any rank.

However, against that, your average Tommy would have been keeping his head down & certainly wouldn't be looking over the top on his own time. If he was on duty, he would have been provided with the big wooden periscope. An officer would have far more reason to require his own method of looking over the top so I've been leaning to the idea he was an officer. If no officer fits the bill, though,...

It looks like it had some use in it's time; a lot of wear & tear on the corners, a few dings and I would say the mirror(s) have been replaced at some stage.

Kind regards
    Seamus

dont give up hope yet there is bound to be more posters willing to give help and advice.

• Advertisement

nearest I can find so with the initials AH McLean and a rank are :

Lt Alexander Henderson McLean, Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) from Lanarkshire, Scotland

Lt Arthur Howard McLean, Royal Irish Regiment from Dublin on the roll of honour at Blackrock
    http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/html/place-details.php?show=117

Advertisement