Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research A Soldier

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

There are 2 Michael Whelan's from Co Wexford listed in Ireland's ww1 casualties. Both Royal Irish Regt and both killed 19th Oct 1914. No 7389 aged 30 from New Ross and 8917 from Piercetown

A Michael Whelan is on the 1911 census in India with 1st Battn Royal Irish aged 27 from Piercetown, co wexford

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thank you guys I will pass on that info. He was indeed Michael but I have to check the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Oryx wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone could help with identifying this uniform? The soldier is a Whelan from Wexford who was killed in Oct 1914. We just dont know what regiment he was with, so any help would be great.

34ilsgp.jpg
    TIA
    Great pic, thanks for posting, he appears to be wearing a Brodrick cap(no peak) and this was worn from 1902 but was phased out by 1907.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Can I just ask if the baton he is carrying is a standard thing, or does it have a particular significance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

It was called a swagger stick, explained here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swagger_stick

I also remember reading that it encouraged soldiers to stand straight with their hands not in their pockets and to have a military bearing.Enlisted men usually carried it when walking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 foxmike

Just found out about a relative of mine who died at the somme,his name is on the Thiepval Memorial.John Moore 22473 8th Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers.Would there be a grave to see.Plan to go over next year to Thiepval.How can I find more information on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

foxmike wrote: »
    Just found out about a relative of mine who died at the somme,his name is on the Thiepval Memorial.John Moore 22473 8th Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers.Would there be a grave to see.Plan to go over next year to Thiepval.How can I find more information on him.

www.cwgc.org

www.ancestry.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

He is also listed on page 100 of the Meath War Dead by Noel French.
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Here are a couple of items related to John Moore. looking at the medal index card he was likely to have landed sometime in 1916. if he is mentioned on the Thiepval Memorial he does not have a final resting place.

Here are a couple of items related to John Moore. looking at the medal index card he was likely to have landed sometime in 1916. if he is mentioned on the Thiepval Memorial he does not have a final resting place.

Where can the memorial scrolls be located?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 foxmike

thanks for all the information recieved .

i got the scroll from findmypast. if you want some either PM me or put the names up here and i'll get you what you need.

i got the scroll from findmypast. if you want some either PM me or put the names up here and i'll get you what you need.

Soldier
    M Hynes
    Royal Munster Fusiliers
    Killed 1916

All help appreciated.

We have everything - medal rolls etc - but the scrolls.

He is listed in Forgotton Heroes by William Henry on Page 143.
    Tom

Yes, but with no new information, He is also in SDGW, IMR and CWGC. There are Pre war records of a Martin Hynes from Killmacduagh, Gort, of the Connaught Rangers, Born 1991 available on findmypast. Father John, Mother Honora.

Soldier
    M Hynes
    Royal Munster Fusiliers
    Killed 1916

All help appreciated.

We have everything - medal rolls etc - but the scrolls.

have attached his scroll.

Listed as one of the dead?

I have seen this book new for 1 euro , if anyone has not got this book it is worh getting.

'There are Pre war records of a Martin Hynes from Killmacduagh, Gort, of the Connaught Rangers, Born 1891 available on findmypast' not in SDGW

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

In searching for information about my G-Gfather, I came across this record and as he has the same name as my grandfather and born in the same town, I thought I'd look for more info but haven't found anything more than what's already in this record (Ireland's Memorial Records 1914-1918)

fRWo6.jpg

I used Ancestry to pull up his Medal Card which doesn't offer up much.

I found this link which I think refers to the correct regiment but don't give up any clues as to what was happening on Feb 1st 1918.

What's strange is that I can't find a Thomas Egan born in or around Cahir/Caher, Co. Tipperary in the Irish census.

Does anyone know of any other sources (online or offline) that I can try ?

From 'The Tipperary War Dead"
    EGAN, THOMAS. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Unit; 5th Bn. Date of Death: 1-February-1918. Service No: 59946. Formerly he was with the Cheshire Regiment where his number was 54979. Born in Cahir. Enlisted in Chester while living in Cahir. Killed in Action in Egypt. Grave or Memorial Reference: O. 109. Cemetery: Jerusalem War Cemetery, Israel.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, killed in action in Egypt yet buried in Jerusalem War Cemetery, Israel ?

Does that sound right?

Most of the casualties killed in Egypt are buried in Israel.
    Tom.

While Irelands' Memorial Records has him deceased in Egypt, SDGW has him deceased in Egyptian Theatre - the unit was part of the 53rd Division in the Egyptian Expeditionary Force operating in Palestine/Sinai.

Jerusalem had been captured in December 1917. Egan and his compatriot Samuel Bott were probably killed between Jerusalem and Jericho. The following map shows the position of the 53rd (and others) division in the run up to the battle of Jericho.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/Falls_sketch22.jpeg

BOTT SAMUEL S 32 01/02/1918 Private Royal Welsh Fusiliers "B" Coy. 1st/5th Bn.
    EGAN T 01/02/1918 Private Royal Welsh Fusiliers 1st/5th Bn.

Egan's war medals do not appear to have been claimed. There is no reference to the Cheshire Regiment on his medal index card

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tippds

Evening all,

Just wondering could anyone help me track my grandfathers movements during the war. I know he was part of the West Riding Regt, enlisted on the 13-4-1916 before being discharged on the 11-07-1918 as a result of being injured. Also he was awarded 3 medals, unfortunetly they were sold by an aunt. I'd love to have replacements made for my father as losing them has been tough on him. Is there anyway i can find out what medals they were and what they would have been awarded for?
    The only real info i have is his Cert of discharge no:20220 Rank: Pt Name: Samuel Dann. Enlisted at Roscrea 13-04-1916. Regiment West Riding Regt.

Any and all help appreciated.
    Thanks

While Irelands' Memorial Records has him deceased in Egypt, SDGW has him deceased in Egyptian Theatre...

Thanks Johnny. Excellent work as ever.

Tippds wrote: »
    The only real info i have is his Cert of discharge no:20220 Rank: Pt Name: Samuel Dann. Enlisted at Roscrea 13-04-1916. Regiment West Riding Regt.

Here is his medal card : http://i.imgur.com/CLIJL.jpg

He had the Victory and British as well as the Silver War Badge (The Silver isn't on the medal card as I believe that there is a separate medal list for the Silver War Badge, but is mentioned on his service records).

edit : I found the SWB archives and confirmed that he's listed and marked as being entitled to the SWB.

edit 2: Wow, there sure are/were a lot of a lot of "Isaac Dann"s in your family. Anyone still around with the name? (just curious)

Samuel Dann's medal index card shows he was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal and was issued a Silver War Badge (number 424605)

The UK National Archives website page re the campaign medals outlines the reason/dates for issue

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/medal-index-cards-ww1.htm

His service papers, medal index card and Silver War Badge entry are available to view on ancestry.co.uk

Discharged as no longer physically fit (gunshot wound to back of head).

He has a note re 3rd Battaltion Duke of Wellington's Regt (aka West Riding) which was a reserve/training unit, based in the north of England

Another note has him in 4th Division, 12th Infantry Brigade on the 28/1/1917 so likely to be 2nd Battalion, Duke of Wellington's Regt

http://www.1914-1918.net/dukes.htm

He was Home theatre 13/4/1916 to 3/8/1916; France 4/8/1916 to 1/11/1917; Home again 2/11/1917 to 11/7/1918. His service record is difficult to read but looks like he was heading to England 31/10/1917 after receiving gunshot wound to head (possibly on 13/10/1917). He had been on leave for a short while 25/9/1917 to 5/101/1917 - looks like he might have been wounded before this but hard to read.

Can't see a pension record for him.

Wow thank you guys so so much! Can't believe how much info you got for me and how fast. Really appreciate it.
    edit 2: Wow, there sure are/were a lot of a lot of "Isaac Dann"s in your family. Anyone still around with the name? (just curious)
    --- Yes there is one cousin still alive called Isaac. Is it through the ancestery.co.uk site you were able to get all that info?

Thanks again!!

Tippds wrote: »
    --- Yes there is one cousin still alive called Isaac. Is it through the ancestery.co.uk site you were able to get all that info?

That's good to know :)

Yeah, I have an Ancestry account so that helps but there's a bunch of free sites out there which you can use to search (such as www.familysearch.org and Google Books [where we see 2 Isaac Dann's in the Roscrea area in 1899, a farmer and the Postmaster).

There's only so far that you can go before you need to spend $$$ on birth/marriage certs though. While I know that you probably have cousins named Roe, Davis and Clarke (or at least uncles/aunts), I don't know who they are or how you're related :)

Any idea why your grandfather appears in the 1911 census but there is no sign of the family in 1901 ?

• Advertisement

Any idea why your grandfather appears in the 1911 census but there is no sign of the family in 1901 ?[/QUOTE]

I know that the family moved from carlow, but can't tell you when. I'm trying to get the info on my grandfather together in time for my fathers birthday, don't really want to give him any idea what i'm doing till then :) I'll ask him after that and let you know if he can shed any light on it!

Off topic a bit i know, but do you know of any way to try track down the medals? I've googled a few things but not sure where to go. Long shot i know but........ Replicas would be my best bet i'd guess.

Advertisement