Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research A Soldier

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Patrick DOWLING

Rating: Shipt. 2nd.

Birth date/place: 18.11.81. Balbriggan, Co. Dublin.

Section scan: 8/0170

Service branch: R.N.

Ship unit: HMS MONMOUTH

Official number: 346003. (DEV)

Cause of death: Killed or died as a direct result of enemy action.

Date of death: 01/11/1914

Location of grave: Not recorded

Cemetery: Body not recovered for burial

Relatives notified: Mother. Elizabeth Dowling. Drogheda St, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin.

Irish Independent; Dowling-First Anniversary-In sad and loving memory of Patrick Dowling, Drogheed Street, Balbriggan. Who lost his life on board the Monmouth November 1st, 1914. R.I.P. We did not know what pain he had, we never saw him die; we only knew he passed away, and never said goodbye. –Inserted by his loving parents, sisters, and brothers.

Irish Independent; Roll of Honour
    Dowling-Private Patrick Dowling, RDF., aged 20 years, killed in action, 4th May, 1918; son of James Dowling, 5 Seafield Road, New Ferry, Cheshire; late of 5 Thompson’s Cottages, off Summer Hill. R.I.P.

Irish Independent; In Memoriam. Dowling-Second Anniversary-In sad and loving memory of Patrick (Paddy) Dowling, third eldest son of John and Elizabeth Dowling, Drogheda Street, Balbriggan, who lost his life, November 1, 1914, on board HMS Monmouth, R.P.I. Masses will be offered up this day (Wednesday) for the repose of his soul…A light is from our household gone, a voice we loved is stilled. A place is vacant in our home, which never can be filled.-Inserted by his loving mother, brothers and sisters.

Dublin David McComb Chief Stoker Royal Navy H.M.S. Fox 299381 12/03/1919 35 Naval Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. Husband of Lucy Bond McComb, of 15, Cambridge Street, Ringsend, Dublin. Naval. 7. 367. Gillingham (Woodlands) Cemetery, UK.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Thanks so much for that, Patrick Dowling is my great grand uncle.
    really appreciate it. none of the other dowlings ring a bell but will hit my mother up to check the names as im not au fait with great grandfathers / uncles first names.

• Advertisement

Not a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Hi,
    Im researching Daniel Gorman from Dromore, Co. Tyrone. Not sure of a regiment etc. I think he survived the war though. Any information would be a great help! Thanks

Sorry guys, I should have said this before, I only collect data on WW1 casualties from the 26 counties.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

http://cookstownwardead.co.uk/persondepth.asp?cas_id=95

This person is a relative of mine, is it possible to find out more information or would all known information be included on that page?

I think that we already 'did' this guy a few months back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056915458

yes but i wasn't specifically looking for info on him back then, he was a stepping stone for info on the family.

I don't think that we were able to locate any other war records for him, no.

• Advertisement

New from findmypast for those who have a subscription; Searchable by location, name, covering Tipperary, Carlow, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow, Kerry, Cork, Longford, Roscommon, Laois, Offaly, Kilkenny, Limerick, Westmeath and Clare. Dublin is to be added next with 8,500 names.

http://search.findmypast.ie/search/ireland-records/military-service-and-conflict/ireland-national-roll-of-honour-1914-1921?keywords=%22royal%20navy%22

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

enfield wrote: »
    New from findmypast for those who have a subscription; Searchable by location, name, covering Tipperary, Carlow, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow, Kerry, Cork, Longford, Roscommon, Laois, Offaly, Kilkenny, Limerick, Westmeath and Clare. Dublin is to be added next with 8,500 names.

http://search.findmypast.ie/search/ireland-records/military-service-and-conflict/ireland-national-roll-of-honour-1914-1921?keywords=%22royal%20navy%22

Any idea when Kildare will be added? I've two Royal Dublin Fusiliers I'm trying to find more info on.

Thomas Keating
    Royal Dublin Fusiliers 25290 Private
    Labour Corps 382875 Private
    Royal Dublin Fusiliers 41472 Private
    Connaught Rangers 32434 Private

Jeremiah Keating
    Royal Dublin Fusiliers 3/25277 Private
    Army Veterinary Corps SE/31123 Private

Although Kildare is queued to follow Dublin it will only have information on casualties not those who survived.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 redjim

tyview wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've just today found out my gt grandmothers brother Michael Case died in the war and found his details on the CWGC website:

I'm just wondering what the "C" Coy means? I've read as much as I can in the last few hours and from what I can make out, the 1st bn was demobilised in 1918. Would this be right? If so I'm wondering why his DOD states 1921. Any help appreciated! Sorry if this duplicates another post, still trying to get through all the thread
    Casualty Details

Name:CASEY, MICHAELInitials:MNationality:United KingdomRank:PrivateRegiment/Service:Connaught RangersUnit Text:"C" Coy., 1st Bn.Age:33Date of Death:18/04/1921Service No:7143146Additional information:Son of Maurice and Julia Casey, of 48, Beresford St., Dublin.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:3. C. 1.Cemetery:RAWALPINDI WAR CEMETERY
    Hi Regarding Michael Casey 7143146 he was my Grandfather Jack or Jaimsey Caseys Brother .I actually lived in 48 beresford St.I think i have some photos of him .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

ive been trying to fine my grandfather

Right so...

My grandfathers name Was Robert Smith from Waterford who served in the royal navy in WW1

My grandfathers name Was Robert Smith from Waterford who served in the royal navy in WW1

No Date of birth ?

Is he in the 1911 census ?

edit : This is a possible match. He was a Merchant seaman.

8QzWIkh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Murph51

Ok, new to this board so please forgive if I'm posting in the wrong place.

Yesterday I discovered I had a grand uncle who died 26 April 1917 in France while with the 2nd battalion of the Royal Irish Regiment. I know his rank and service number and that he's buried in Longuenesse St Omer cemetery near Calais. It an exciting and sad discovery - no one in my family ever knew what became of this man and thankfully now we do.

His name was Michael Doolan, Private, 4522. I know he enlisted in Waterford but was from New Ross. In the Medal roll he has the Victory British Star - it says the qualifying date was 18-5-25 - is the when he enlisted maybe? Also, although he was a private he was awarded the military medal, and is apparently mentioned in the London Gazette, though I couldn't see anything.

Can someone help me with this? Was there a particular battle around April 1917 - how can I find out more & why would he have been mentioned in the Gazette? Thanks for any light you might shed on this.

• Advertisement

DOOLAN, MICHAEL. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit: 2nd Bn. Age at Death: 26. Date of Death: 26/04/1917. Service No: 4522. Born in New Ross, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Waterford while living in New Ross, Co Wexford. Died. He won the Military Medal and is listed in the London Gazette. Supplementary information; Son of Edward and Kate Doolan of Barrack St, New Ross. Co. Wexford. Grave or Memorial Reference: IV. B. 60. Cemetery: Longuenesse ( St. Omer ) Souvenir Cemetery in France.

DOOLAN, MICHAEL. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit: 2nd Bn. Age at Death: 26. Date of Death: 26/04/1917. Service No: 4522. Born in New Ross, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Waterford while living in New Ross, Co Wexford. Died. He won the Military Medal and is listed in the London Gazette. Supplementary information; Son of Edward and Kate Doolan of Barrack St, New Ross. Co. Wexford. Grave or Memorial Reference: IV. B. 60. Cemetery: Longuenesse ( St. Omer ) Souvenir Cemetery in France.

Thanks enfield, good of you to reply. Is there any way to find out how he died, what was going on Apr 1917? And why he was awarded the MM? I looked but couldn't any other information. - I heard service records sometimes had photos or a description of what he may have looked like?

Always start you research here;
    http://www.1914-1918.net/
    Then join and post your query here;
    http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showforum=21
    These guys are THE experts.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

Always start you research here;
    http://www.1914-1918.net/
    Then join and post your query here;
    http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showforum=21
    These guys are THE experts.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

Appreciate your help - thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

his Military Medal award appears in the 9th December 1916 issue of the London Gazette. No details of the action behind the award unfortunately other than Bravery in the Field

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29854/supplements/12044

He was entitled to the 1915 Star, the Victory Medal and the British War Medal.

18th May 1915 would be when he entered France for duty.

His will is online at

http://soldierswills.nationalarchives.ie/reels/sw/DoolanM_E399184.pdf

his Military Medal award appears in the 9th December 1916 issue of the London Gazette. No details of the action behind the award unfortunately other than Bravery in the Field

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29854/supplements/12044

He was entitled to the 1915 Star, the Victory Medal and the British War Medal.

18th May 1915 would be when he entered France for duty.

His will is online at

http://soldierswills.nationalarchives.ie/reels/sw/DoolanM_E399184.pdf

Thanks so much for that, much appreciated.

Is there anyway to find out when he enlisted and what circumstances surrounded the day he died, 26/4/17? I read about the battle of Arras but I don't know if his regiment was involved.

Thanks again for all the help to you & enfield.

Ponster wrote: »
    No Date of birth ?

Is he in the 1911 census ?

edit : This is a possible match. He was a Merchant seaman.

8QzWIkh.png

I'm pretty sure thats him

I'm pretty sure thats him

He was the only match in the records. No way of knowing more unless you order the records where it should list next of kin, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Murph51 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for that, much appreciated.

Is there anyway to find out when he enlisted and what circumstances surrounded the day he died, 26/4/17? I read about the battle of Arras but I don't know if his regiment was involved.

Thanks again for all the help to you & enfield.

deceased soldiers are generally listed as :

Killed in Action
    Died of Wounds
    Died

Michael Doolan has Died recorded against him which generally means either :

died of natural causes or
    died of disease e.g. influenza

His burial location is in the rear area near a number of hospitals.

Re enlistment, without a service or pension record I look up the medal index card numbers around the soldier for anyone with a Silver War Badge (SWB) entry. The rolls for this badge gives enlistment date. In the case of 4524 Edward Coyle, Royal Irish Regiment, he enlisted 23/12/1914. Generally this would be a good indicator of enlistment for Michael Doolan as sometime in December 1914 but 4436 Patrick Collins is noted as enlisting 3/11/1915 so there is some quirk re Royal Irish Regiment numbers potentially. Could be numbering for different battalions at play here.

2nd Battalion Royal Irish Regiment landed in France 11th August 1914 and were decimated soon after and in need of replacements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bjp1967

Hi,

How do i get info about my grandfather

John Maher Pte.
    Royal Dublin Fusiliers 8th or 9th Btl
    Reg No: 18945

Thanks in advance, new to this

Advertisement