Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renewal

Options
  • 15-08-2009 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

just a thought...i think we all envy the guys who stuck to the standard .22, and 12 gauge at this stage,the rest of us with our bazookas and howitzers (joke) are in for a mauling one way or another,be it monetary,a lot of questions to answer, or refusals ,i think we all were the cheese mouthing about our personal arsenals,this could be the winter of our discontent.......dont shoot me pardon the pun:( its only my refection on it:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

gunshy wrote: »
    just a thought...i think we all envy the guys who stuck to the standard .22, and 12 gauge at this stage,the rest of us with our bazookas and howitzers (joke) are in for a mauling one way or another,be it monetary,a lot of questions to answer, or refusals ,i think we all were the cheese mouthing about our personal arsenals,this could be the winter of our discontent.......dont shoot me pardon the pun:( its only my refection on it:rolleyes:
    I think the Supers are going to love those guys as well; they should be the easiest. ;) I've been trying to figure out how many of these our district Super is going to have to handle and on the basis that there's about thirty five thousand licences in the division and dividing that by 3 (number of districts) and then 8 (the number of months that they are divided into) he will have to go through approximately one and a half thousand a month :eek:

That's a bit mad Ted ;)

I'm basing the estimate on the last figures for Wicklow/Wexford which was 70k licences for the two and just divided by two. Not very scientific, but even if it's half that, 750 licences is some amount to try and get through in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

I don't envy anyone and yes it could of course go the way you describe or worse.

I share part of your sentiment and this is not a personal criticism. However, the defeatists told me in 2004 that I should avoid getting any pistol as they would all soon be outlawed and I'd lose the money. I decided to take the risk as I wanted to compete and to enjoy pistol shooting.

Even if I do eventually lose mine soon (not a foregone conculsion !) and don't get reimbursed for the cost (not a foregone conculsion) , I still had it, used it and enjoyed it for 5 years !

I prefer that than shooting a 22. like a good little boy and praying that they leave me alone (again, far from a foregone conculsion).

Wait till the antis decide that you only need a bolt action .22 and a double barrel sotgun and that eveything else is mad, wild, uncontrollable and revolutionary, then I suppose some peole will wish they had just stuck with their pellet guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How closely are these going to be checked? Surely for the 12G and .22lr lot it will be no more than a rubberstamping operation for the local supers?

It will be the other stuff that gets checked more closely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gunshy

hopefully when the dust settles and if we cross the t and dot the i correctly we should be ok......study the application forms and cover your a-- fingers crossed lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

A while ago I had a conversation with a Garda regarding the number of firearms I had.(General chat)

Now I only have 4 (3 shotguns and 1 rifle) and he asked me why I needed so many. After I explained that I have an o/u for clays
    an o/u for pheasants/game
    a semi for duck and vermin and
    a hornet for foxes
    he said (sarcastically) would I need anymore. My answer was quite simply "yes" a 22lr would be ideal because I need something for rabbits and vermin.

He looked a bit shocked untill I used the old Golf comparison

"Have you ever played golf with only a driver"

Once you have good reason to have one or a flooking good reason for a restricted one
    Once you can secure them safely whats the issue

I am getting rid of the old o/u this year to get a 22 lr. I have a four gun safe and four is enough for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Bond-007 wrote: »
    How closely are these going to be checked? Surely for the 12G and .22lr lot it will be no more than a rubberstamping operation for the local supers?
    It will be the other stuff that gets checked more closely.
    Yes, but if you're caught with a restricted firearm and an unrestricted licence, it's your liability, not the Gardai's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gunshy

good logic and answer cavanshooter....but bordering on cheeky:P

Advertisement