Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to keep bagged lettuce etc. fresh?

Options
  • 15-08-2009 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Now and then I buy a bag or bowl of mixed leaves but as I live alone I would never eat them all in one evening and they tend to be a little wilted and smell a little off the next day.

Should I get rid of the bag to store them and if so, should they be in an airtight container? (I just need them to be fresh enough to enjoy on the second evening)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Riordan123

Do you store them in the fridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

A friend of mine swears by putting them into a brown paper bag. Never tried it though. But I'd say - whatever you do, make sure they're not too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭mjg

@Riordan, I usually just fliing the half-bag back into the fridge alright but suspect that the moisture in the leaves makes them sweat in the plastic.

@ Olaola, I'll try the brown bag, thanks. Maybe I should leave them out of the fridge then?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,447 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Use a resealable container.
    This applies to meat, cheese pretty much everything that you buy in a packet that goes in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Hve you tried JML keep fresh bags(http://www.jmldirect.com/currency/EUR/Keep-Fresh-Bags-PK6776)?You get them in Dunnes and other shops.They're €5.99 for 15 and the bags are reusable. They have a coating on the inside that retards the natural aging process of fruit and vegetables. It says on the pack that the coating is natural and made from a clay derivitative. I haven't tried them with bagged lettuce but the definitely keep a head of lettuce that's been cut in half fresh for a few days longer than usual.

It's nearly impossible to keep cut lettuce as fresh as you'd get it out of the bags you buy cut washed salad in.Usually those bags are pumped up with Carbon Dioxide. The lack of a normal oxygen filled atmosphere in them prevents the natural deterioration of cut vegetables.Even though it's less convenient you are better off with a full head of lettuce.Otherwise you're better off making sure you eat the whole lot once you open the bag.Also pre washed salads are linked to an Ecoli and lysteria risk so eatting them as early as possible is probably best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

chilly wrote: »
    Also pre washed salads are linked to an Ecoli and lysteria risk so eatting them as early as possible is probably best.

Have you a source for this scare mongering?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

mjg wrote: »
    @Riordan, I usually just fliing the half-bag back into the fridge alright but suspect that the moisture in the leaves makes them sweat in the plastic.

@ Olaola, I'll try the brown bag, thanks. Maybe I should leave them out of the fridge then?

Put them in a ziplock bag with a sheet or two of kitchen paper to soak up the excess moisture.

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I buy iceberg lettuce cause it tends to last a bit longer. Even when it starts to wilt, it does so from the outside-in, so you can just peel the leaves off and use the still-fresh inner leaves.

Advertisement