Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Studio Hybrid - €199.97 - PC World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Great little system for a HTPC..nice and neat.

Ram can be upgraded to 4GB. (DDR2)
    Note..only takes 5.4k 2.5" drives.

I'll check my cpu later on as it has the highest spec in it for the hybrid.
    I'm running vista 32bit on it but switching it over to win7 x64.
    There's built in wireless for keyboard/mouse in this and there's an option to buy the remote control from dell or on ebay.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Berkut wrote: »
    Great little system for a HTPC..nice and neat.

Ram can be upgraded to 4GB. (DDR2)
    Note..only takes 5.4k 2.5" drives.

I'll check my cpu later on as it has the highest spec in it for the hybrid.
    I'm running vista 32bit on it but switching it over to win7 x64.
    There's built in wireless for keyboard/mouse in this and there's an option to buy the remote control from dell or on ebay.

I think the highest processor is the T8100, I could be wrong though. I'd love if it could be upgraded higher than that.

Any one know of a good cheap keyboard with built in touchpad. There is the dinovo edge but that's pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Any one know of a good cheap keyboard with built in touchpad. There is the dinovo edge but that's pricey.
    I bought one off Dabs for about €50 last year that'd good (but I rarely use it actually)..

http://www.dabs.ie/products/keysonic-super-mini-wireless-keyboard-with-touch-pad---black-soft-skin-5HYW.html (this in silver)

http://cgi.ebay.ie/DVI-USB-2.0-Network-Cable-KVM-Switch-w%2FAudio-ief_W0QQitemZ200373046487QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090813?IMSfp=TL090813146001r394#MRLOCATE

Ooohhh.. this should do the job merging my Mac Mini and Studio Hybrid to use the same monitor (DVI), mouse (USB), keyboard (USB) and speakers (standard 3.5mm jack for me)!

Unless anyone else can tell me different..?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yup, that would do the job for you.

Edit: Actually it says it doesn't support vista which is odd. I didn't think the os would make a difference to this.

Edit: Actually it says it doesn't support vista which is odd. I didn't think the os would make a difference to this.
    Balls.. didn't even notice that. Back to the drawing board! :(

basquille wrote: »
    Balls.. didn't even notice that. Back to the drawing board! :(
    I can't understand it though. It's just a kvm switch, they shouldn't even see the os.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

i had one of those some time earlier this year.

it has dvi and hdmi out displays but but, it does not output to both at the same time. its an either or situation. the hdmi has sound in it as well.

as an htpc it does well. it is quiet.

it is cramped inside, there is NO space to upgrade anything apart from memory. it has all the components of a laptop though.

had to return it back to dell (after a month of wrangling) for false advertisement as i think they did say it output to 2 different sources...

all in all, it has a good price and would be a steal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

Picked up one of these in PC World Naas at 5.45pm today. Beautiful machine, slate grey in colour. The ship date to PC World (October 2008) is printed on the label on the side of the box. I guess they are not going to be selling this model anymore. I will be keeping an eye out for a sale on the colour shells, which are €20 now, if they are no longer going to stock the Studio Hybrid. I got the last one, I think, unless there are more of them in stock out back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

if i got a usb tv tuner, would it be suitable for recording tv.
    if i get a hdmi cable, would this display on a tv with a hdmi slot (would it give me both sound and video)
    also any update on the windows 7 upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I can't understand it though. It's just a kvm switch, they shouldn't even see the os.

But the os might see it...

I have a KVM here and two identical DELL latitude laptops, works with one, but not the other. Its tries to install something and i do not have admin rights to the machine.

Just looked at the eBay link, that KVM supports "Transfer data between two PCs with speed up to 480Mbps (USB V2.0)" which might require a driver.

AdrianII wrote: »
    if i got a usb tv tuner, would it be suitable for recording tv.
    Yes.
    if i get a hdmi cable, would this display on a tv with a hdmi slot (would it give me both sound and video)

Yes and it will give you audio and video.
    also any update on the windows 7 upgrade.

Unfortunately no nothing further on that.

But the os might see it...

I have a KVM here and two identical DELL latitude laptops, works with one, but not the other. Its tries to install something and i do not have admin rights to the machine.

Just ,looked at the eBay link, that KVM supports "Transfer data between two PCs with speed up to 480Mbps (USB V2.0)" which would definatly require a driver.

Yeah but it says that only works on vista if I remember correctly. Which is quite odd now that I think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Yes.

Yes and it will give you audio and video.

Unfortunately no nothing further on that.

dont want to go off topic can you recoment=d one, i had a hauppage usb one a few years ago that was rubbish, wouldnt mind something that can record off ntl/chorus digital

dont want to go off topic can you recoment=d one, i had a hauppage usb one a few years ago that was rubbish, wouldnt mind something that can record off ntl/chorus digital
    I've never tried any. So I'm not much use. Maybe try sticking a thread up here (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=643).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Yeah but it says that only works on vista if I remember correctly. Which is quite odd now that I think of it.

Nope, to quote "It does not support Vista."

I've found a few KVM switches on Ebay since but none of these specify what OS are supported.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/New-Tested-2-Ports-DVI-KVM-Switch-Cables-Built-In-uk3_W0QQitemZ200373947789QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_NetworkSwitches_RL?hash=item2ea737cd8d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/AKSUP02D-2-Port-USB-DVI-KVM-Switch-w-Adaptor-uk3_W0QQitemZ200371669702QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_NetworkSwitches_RL?hash=item2ea7150ac6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Both are from the same seller of the KVM I posted originally.

Christ.. bit of a pain in the arse considering the cheapest one I can find on Amazon / Dabs is over €50!

Nope, to quote "It does not support Vista."

Yeah I could have sworn after the usb transfer part it said vista only. After checking it says windows only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭savemejebus

OT Basquille but with KVMs you get what you pay for. Have gone through a few ebay cheapies and they don't handle high resolution well, nor colour reproduction for that matter. It could be worth posting somewhere on computers & technology to get a few recommendations before purchasing.

Cheers savemejebus...

I know what you mean alright, but it's quite puzzling how much more expensive the DVI KVM switches are, as opposed to the VGA.

Some of the ones recommended on Engadget retail anywhere between $200 and $500 .. christ! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Anyone know if there are any left in Sligo?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭savemejebus

would you consider getting a VGA kvm switch and using either your pc or the mac mini with VGA?

Possibly.. but I'd prefer not to be messing about with adapters (converting DVI - VGA etc).

But I'm not willing to pay through the arse for a DVI KVM so might be on the cards to give in to getting a VGA KVM so.

If I pick up a decent DVI KVM for between €40 - €50, I can live with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I've had no luck with registering it on their site. I assume that's because the shipping date is well before the date for eligibility. Calling dell to confirm receipt details and things like that would probably work but I really couldn't be arsed doing that now. Might try it another day though.

I don't think that upgrade reg site is fully live yet and if it is it ain't working.

I've tried to register about 20 systems bought direct from Dell since 26/06, none successfully. All I get is the error that the service tags are not in their database. Eventhough I know they are.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I don't think that upgrade reg site is fully live yet and if it is it ain't working.

I've tried to register about 20 systems bought direct from Dell since 26/06, none successfully. All I get is the error that the service tags are not in their database. Eventhough I know they are.
    Not too bad so. Hopefully it's that.

Can't see how Dell can say no to the free Windows 7 upgrade in our case..

The hybrid is in their "eligible models" list and we have receipts saying we bought it during the period.

They can't say "well.. it was manufactured last year".. that's not what their T&C's state.

I configured the same model on sale in PC World (€199.97) on the Dell.ie site and the price was €599.01 !! The only difference was the processor (a T3400 vs a T3200, ie 2.16Ghz vs 2.00Ghz). I think this is a splendid bargain, thanks OP :)

pauly3 wrote: »
    I configured the same model on sale in PC World (€199.97) on the Dell.ie site and the price was €599.01 !! The only difference was the processor (a T3400 vs a T3200, ie 2.16Ghz vs 2.00Ghz). I think this is a splendid bargain, thanks OP :)
    Even better than that..

It'll be €180 more in 10 days time.. there's currently €180 off the Hybrid models but only until August 26th.

According to wikipedia the processor in these actually went as high as the T9500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Even better than that..

It'll be €180 more in 10 days time.. there's currently €180 off the Hybrid models but only until August 26th.

Well, theres either a HUGE profit margin on these or PCWorld are selling these at a loss. Good bargain alright, if only i didnt get the Dell Vostro bargain alert last year, which i'm still using:)

• Advertisement

I opened mine up last night and had a look inside. Just 3 screws and you're in!
    Take off the transparent cover, then unscrew the top panel which pulls forward towards you. Inside is a small handle which allows you to pull up and out the DVD drive and hard disk. First remove the small silver screw holding it in place. That's about it really. There are 2 wireless slots, one marked WLAN, the other BD (Blu-Ray accelerator card). The wires connecting to the antennas are in place, just pop in the mini-pci express cards.

There is no way of upgrading the graphics, though the T3200 CPU should work fine. It can be upgraded all the way up to a T9500 (2.6Ghz/800/6MB) if you're rich. Gaming is out of the question, at least modern games. But this box is ideally suited to life as a media player. It is quiet and runs cool.

To upgrade the processor is easy. Just remove the heatsink (6 screws) and both the GPU and CPU are underneath. The GPU is soldered onboard, but the CPU (T3200) is a zif socket. There is an interesting article and some good photos here:

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Dell-Studio-Hybrid-Small-Form-Factor-Desktop/?page=1
    http://hothardware.com/Articles/Dell-Studio-Hybrid-Small-Form-Factor-Desktop/?page=2

Note the comments re turning off DirectX when playing Blu-Ray. Hope this helps.

A video showing how to disassemble and upgrade the Studio Hybrid here:

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Dell-Studio-Hybrid-Small-Form-Factor-Desktop/?page=8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

pauly3 wrote: »

Configuring on Dell site inculdes monitor.......

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Configuring on Dell site inculdes monitor.......
    Nope, it doesn't..

EDIT: As below:

hybrid.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Are these all sold out now? I'll be in Blanchardstown later on and would pick one up if they had one (tried calling them, but no answer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

any of these available anywhere anymore? :(

As CombatCow said earlier in the thread..
    Only sligo, navan, and dundalk have them.

Sligo had 5 or so left when I was in at 12 yesterday.. but I wouldn't say there's many left now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

shoot, and I'm in dublin..

Can I put a WTB in here? Someone from Sligo wanna make 50e (-postage)? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

AS of 10 mins ago:

Navan - 5 all held for collection today

Dundalk - 2 also for collection today

Sligo - didn't bother to check

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I'd be correct in assuming that there's limited upgrade options with this yolk? Hubby needs a new pc for his drumming but it needs to take a firewire sound card and the card needs to run off on board or pci firewire card. It'd be ideal if we could do that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Can't see how Dell can say no to the free Windows 7 upgrade in our case..
    That's the fun thing... the system is a MS system. Also, the Aldi system that my Dad bought said that you can't get the W7 upgrade until after the W7 starts to get sold in shops.

Finally, If the f**king joke of a system that allowed people to upgrade from XP to Vista is anything to go by, yer f**ked either way :( :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

None available in PC World in Galway... only the changable colour sleeves for the unit itself.

Boss picked up last one in Sligo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭m4rkiz

none in Naas, Waterford & Navan :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Great find OP!
    Think I've missed the boat this time, but surely other crowds will be trying to offload stock in the same manner?

*crosses fingers* :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

m4rkiz wrote: »
    none in Naas, Waterford & Navan :mad:

None in Limerick either and he told me the only 2 left in the country was 1 in Nass and 1 in Waterford. that was at 12:30ish so they must have sold out straight away.

Fingers crossed something else like this comes up soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I think the highest processor is the T8100, I could be wrong though. I'd love if it could be upgraded higher than that.

I absolutely love this keyboard - If mine was lost or stolen tomorrow I'd replace with same without a moments thought.

- There's great reviews all over the Web - including a few here on Boards.ie.

Think I bought mine from Elara but not sure they stock them any more......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

For any one that has the iphone or itouch use an app called Airmouse (it's about €2) but it gives you basically a wireless keyboard/mouse built into your iphone for your htpc with media/broswer shortcuts...very handy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

Anyone know where these Dell machines can be sourced for cheap , I saw them refurbished on some US site for around €250 (techforless.com) any UK sites have them as cheap I wonder ? I couldnt find any but they may be out there somewhere....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭mailrewop

Berkut wrote: »
    For any one that has the iphone or itouch use an app called Airmouse (it's about €2) but it gives you basically a wireless keyboard/mouse built into your iphone for your htpc with media/broswer shortcuts...very handy :)

just got it, its a great app. thanks for that

• Advertisement
Advertisement