Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Studio Hybrid - €199.97 - PC World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

i have mine set up through the hdmi port

i am getting video fine, but not a bit of sound, all drivers are up to date any one else having this issue

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Go into sound options and make sure the HDMI is set as the default sound device. If that doesn't work. Just test all of them until one makes a noise. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

AdrianII,

Lot of people having problems with it: http://www.google.ie/search?q=hybrid+no+sound+hdmi&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Couple of suggestions in those first few links.. give them a try!

Go into sound options and make sure the HDMI is set as the default sound device. If that doesn't work. Just test all of them until one makes a noise. :)

cheers thats the one

sounds then change the default device to Realtek HDMI Output

thanks ac and bas - us sligo men need to look out for each other :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

AdrianII wrote: »
    cheers thats the one

sounds then change the default device to Realtek HDMI Output

thanks ac and bas - us sligo men need to look out for each other :)
    Ah you're up in the big sshhmoke now. You're no sligo man. :D

Here, is this link of any use to us in relation to a free upgrade to win 7. Looks like we can get a free upgrade after all :)

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/win7-upgrade

Here, is this link of any use to us in relation to a free upgrade to win 7. Looks like we can get a free upgrade after all :)

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/win7-upgrade
    That's the link I used earlier. In our case it will bring us to the dell upgrade site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

I notice they're appearing (and disappearing) on adverts.ie for 400+ already :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Wossack wrote: »

Thats poor form really, stinks of meaness to me

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

One left in Sligo , Display model .:mad:

• Advertisement

sharkman wrote: »
    One left in Sligo , Display model .:mad:
    To be fair.. if it's the one I'm thinking of, I think I saw them hooking that up on Saturday.

I definitely saw a staff member put it there anyways.

So I'd say there's "nowt" wrong with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Wossack wrote: »

Sad state of affair when people take the bargain alerts given to them for nothing by the community, and turn it around and try and make a quick buck off the same community. That's not what Bargain Alerts is about, for shame :(

Sad state of affair when people take the bargain alerts given to them for nothing by the community, and turn it around and try and make a quick buck off the same community. That's not what Bargain Alerts is about, for shame :(

Im particularly bitter about it, as I really wanted one :(

I'm keeping an eye on Computers FS are all the Adverts Mods .

basquille wrote: »
    To be fair.. if it's the one I'm thinking of, I think I saw them hooking that up on Saturday.

I definitely saw a staff member put it there anyways.

So I'd say there's "nowt" wrong with it!

Except I'm in Dublin , Anyone want to pick it up for me !!!:D;):D

Except I'm in Dublin , Anyone want to pick it up for me !!!:D;):D

I was ere first! :P

I'm keeping an eye on Computers FS are all the Adverts Mods .
    Fair play sharkman..

OT: If there's one thing that pisses me off, it's profiteering.

I couldn't sell something for more than I paid for it.. it's lousy and I'd feel terriblly guilty if I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

If anyone bought one & wants rid of it for what they paid for it. Let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Fair play sharkman..

OT: If there's one thing that pisses me off, it's profiteering.

I couldn't sell something for more than I paid for it.. it's lousy and I'd feel terriblly guilty if I did.

You dont fancy selling your spare one for 199 so ?? ;):D

• Advertisement

You dont fancy selling your spare one for 199 so ?? ;):D

basquille has a spare one !!!!!!!;)

Don't have a spare one unfortunately.

Bought one for myself and one for my brother... both are in use.

Well, his is and mine will be once I sort out my situation using a KVM.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Matches

Tried ringing PC World in Blanch but cannot get through... Doh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Matches wrote: »
    Tried ringing PC World in Blanch but cannot get through... Doh.

It will do you no good. They never had them. Dundalk, Navan & Sligo only :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Picked up the last 2 in Dundalk yesterday, the guy said they're sold out everywhere. They did have this offer as well though seems very good price, its only in this store and Sligo.

center15 wrote: »
    Picked up the last 2 in Dundalk yesterday, the guy said they're sold out everywhere. They did have this offer as well though seems very good price, its only in this store and Sligo.
    Yep, also boss came back with a tech sheet for one of those Mac Mini's back in at €299 in the Sligo store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Wonder why they are only selling them in those stores, would it be to bump up sales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

cause they're close to the north

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Wonder why they are only selling them in those stores, would it be to bump up sales?

Probably just clearing out old stock. There's a new Dell mini-pc coming out shortly (the Zino HD).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

Well I got mine in Naas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

cause they're close to the north

That would be my thinking on it too.
    The machines come with documentation for the UK market, Tiscali and BT UK broadband offers, install CDs and such.

Getting back to the windows 7 upgrade issue, I've been digging around on dell.ie looking for specific answers without having to start phoning CS.
    Came across something slightly worrying after I input the service tag...basically Dell's sytem is telling me that my CAR warranty is valid from when PC world took delivery of the system...this can't be right can it?
    There are two CAR listed...one 12 months and one 15 months...both run from the ship date (25/10/08) and have 67 and 159 days remaining.
    I realise that my contract is now with PC world, but in the event of something going wrong with this machine outside of the Dell CAR, where would this leave PC World and my rights?
    Is this something we should be contacting Dell about?

[edit] Screengrab added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Wertz wrote: »
    The machines come with documentation for the UK market, Tiscali and BT UK broadband offers, install CDs and such.

But isn't that because PC World is a UK company, and stock comes from one central UK facility?

I wouldn't have thought they had UK specific stock solely for sale in PC World stores near to the NI border.

I realise that my contract is now with PC world, but in the event of something going wrong with this machine outside of the Dell CAR, where would this leave PC World and my rights?
    Our warranty is with Dell AFAIK.. that's why PC World (should have) took your name and address when you bought the PC.

If there's a discretion with when the warranty starts and ends.. then yes, contact Dell but e-mailing them (or fax) a scanned copy your receipt should fix this. This happened when I bought my 360.

This is on the Dell UK site:
    Q: How Do I return a Dell product purchased at PC World?
    A: All Dell products purchased at PC World should be returned to store, and be in compliance with PC World return policy in order to receive a refund. Please refer to PC World’s return policy, or speak to a PC World sales representative for more information.

Q: What Kind of Warranty is included on Dell products purchased PC World?
    A: All Dell products sold through PC World come with a 1 year limited Warranty.

Q: Is there a registration process for Dell products purchased at PC World?
    A: Yes. All instructions for product registration are included in the box along with your Dell product. Registering your Dell product will help Dell serve you more quickly, should you need technical support, during the first year of ownership.

Q: Are extended warranties available?
    A: PC World offer additional customer support at time of purchase through the Tech Guys Service. All additional years will be covered by PC World’s technical support. Please speak to a PC World sales representative for more information.

Q: Who can I contact if I need technical support?
    A: Dell will provide all technical support during the first year. Dell technical support can be reached by calling 0870 908 0800.Opening hours are 8am - 8pm Monday - Friday.

I don't know if the situation is any different in Ireland.

benifa wrote: »
    But isn't that because PC World is a UK company, and stock comes from one central UK facility?

I wouldn't have thought they had UK specific stock solely for sale in PC World stores near to the NI border.

Perhaps. But I know any time I bought from dell direct or their outlet, none of the included documents was UK specific (some came with eircom stuff etc)

It could be that the machine was stocked in border region stores to compete with NI PC World, or that the border stores took on any overstock.

Basquille thanks for that...yeah name and addy taken and all...just never thought of having to register it myself (always bought direct from dell in the past).

Can get back to worrying about W7 now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Could i connect this to a 1080p tv with the hdmi slot and watch 1080p material with vlc player or media player classic?

Will the sound be passed to the tv through the hdmi slot?

it sure will, thats what im doing, and the quality is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Installed Windows 7 RC on this in 21 mins and it's running much better than vista was on it. Great Machine!

it sure will, thats what im doing, and the quality is great

Thanks Adrian,

Can VLC and MPC handle DTS and hd soundtracks (DTS-MA)?

Yep, also boss came back with a tech sheet for one of those Mac Mini's back in at €299 in the Sligo store.

Tell me more !!!

Q: Is there a registration process for Dell products purchased at PC World?
    A: Yes. All instructions for product registration are included in the box along with your Dell product. Registering your Dell product will help Dell serve you more quickly, should you need technical support, during the first year of ownership

Hmm, have hunted through the box for some form or other for registering this with Dell. Nothing found. Anyone any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Thanks Adrian,

Can VLC and MPC handle DTS and hd soundtracks (DTS-MA)?

VLC cannot handle Blu-ray but MPC - HC can; provided you have the relevant codecs installed. Regarding HD audio formats, such as DTS-HDMA, you'll need a sound card, like the Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD, that supports HD audio formats.

Some additional reading here.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

From experience, would this be any good for music editing, photo editing and general multimedia content? (no need for high end visible graphics for games/vids)

Thanks

Rsaeire wrote: »
    VLC cannot handle Blu-ray but MPC - HC can; provided you have the relevant codecs installed. Regarding HD audio formats, such as DTS-HDMA, you'll need a sound card, like the Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD, that supports HD audio formats.

Some additional reading here.

Thanks Rsaeire,

Can MPC handle plain DTS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Thanks Rsaeire,

Can MPC handle plain DTS?

Yes, MPC supports plain/standard DTS.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Yes, MPC supports plain/standard DTS.

So if you connect it to a 1080p tv with hdmi and receiver with optical you get full hd and dobly digital/dts surround.

That's pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The display model in Sligo is sold.

You get it TMB? ;)

And thanks again for checking for me! You can forward any speeding tickets :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

You get it TMB? ;)

Nope, I was doing my good deed for the day for Wossack.

PC World were delighted to see me bowling in at 6.59pm. :D

• Advertisement

That would be my thinking on it too.

Nope. All the stores had these in stock at one stage it's just most of them sold out off them. The UK documentation is in all dells sold in pc world in the republic or at least all the ones that I've seen.

Edit: @ the adverts mods: Fair play to ye. Complete pain in the arse when people who would genuinely use this lose out because someone wants to make a few quid.

Advertisement