Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Studio Hybrid - €199.97 - PC World

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

basquille , can you recall the spec on the Mac Mini's ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

sharkman wrote: »
    basquille , can you recall the spec on the Mac Mini's ???
    Emmmm... I think it's the same 1.8Ghz model they were selling at €299 early last year (see here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055206986).
    1.83 Ghz Core Duo Processor
    512 MB
    80 GB hard disk
    DVD +R DL/ DVD +- RW
    Intel GMA 950 Grpahics processor
    built in ethernet
    wi-fi
    apple remote

But I thought they were clearing them out for the new line of Mac Mini's.. so could be wrong!

Will check the spec sheet in work tomorrow.. think there was only the one mind so it might be gone by now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

basquille wrote: »
    Emmmm... I think it's the same 1.8Ghz model they were selling at €299 early last year (see here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055206986).

But I thought they were clearing them out for the new line of Mac Mini's.. so could be wrong!

Will check the spec sheet in work tomorrow.. think there was only the one mind so it might be gone by now.

Does your recent arrival (Dell) mean that you will be offloading your Apple Mac Mini ???;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭JAMM222

not the worst price for those who missed out http://micurl.com/mGjsm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

JAMM222 wrote: »
    not the worst price for those who missed out http://micurl.com/mGjsm

Not a bad price, but unfortunately the item is in the USA.

• Advertisement

sharkman wrote:
    Does your recent arrival (Dell) mean that you will be offloading your Apple Mac Mini ??? ;););)
    Am tempted to offload it due to a lack of ports on my monitor.. but not sure yet!
    Rsaeire wrote: »
    Not a bad price, but unfortunately the item is in the USA.
    Not to mention used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Yep, also boss came back with a tech sheet for one of those Mac Mini's back in at €299 in the Sligo store.

Guy in the Airside store in Swords hadn't a clue about any Mac Mini deals :(

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

Guys I picked up a refurbished Mac Mini today in the Navan branch for €299. :)

It was a customer return. No others in stock, but they do come in from time to time according to the good sales guy, either refurbs or stock clearance.

I had previously phoned the Dundalk store and they had none in stock so it was just luck of the draw that I phoned Navan next. Maybe one of the other branches have some.

Dundalk did mention that the Dells might be on offer again "soon".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dermiestv wrote: »
    Guys I picked up a refurbished Mac Mini today in the Navan branch for €299. :)

It was a customer return. No others in stock, but they do come in from time to time according to the good sales guy, either refurbs or stock clearance.

I had previously phoned the Dundalk store and they had none in stock so it was just luck of the draw that I phoned Navan next. Maybe one of the other branches have some.

Dundalk did mention that the Dells might be on offer again "soon".

Eh. There's no more hybrids left in the country so I can't see that happening.

kerbdog wrote: »
    Guy in the Airside store in Swords hadn't a clue about any Mac Mini deals :(
    It's more than likely clearance deals.. so would depend on store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

Eh. There's no more hybrids left in the country so I can't see that happening.

Sadly resigned myself to this, so thinking of opting for one of these instead

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It should be able to handle HD video files (like mkv files) with the 9400 graphics card. The processor is pretty crap and will suffer with HD flash based stuff as that is all processor dependent. As far as I know the price difference between the atom that uses and the dual core atom is pretty small. If I were you I'd try and find a dual core atom equivalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Wossack wrote: »

The Aspire Revo is a great choice, if you're looking to playback HD video, as the 9400 supports full hardware acceleration of 1080p mkv files via MPC HC and Blu-ray discs through PowerDVD. There's a good review of the Aspire Revo on bit-tech, if you haven't read it already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Rsaeire wrote: »
    The Aspire Revo is a great choice, if you're looking to playback HD video, as the 9400 supports full hardware acceleration of 1080p mkv files via MPC HC and Blu-ray discs through PowerDVD. There's a good review of the Aspire Revo on bit-tech, if you haven't read it already.

Its a great product, Kompletts price is a bit much tho. I only paid £160 for mine a few weeks back + £10 delivery, for the basic model. Only difference is linux instead of Vista, and 1GB of RAM. I was putting Windows 7 beta on it anyway, so the only difference for me was £10 worth of RAM.

The basic model is £180 (€209.02) on ebuyer now, but, but i know Play were selling it for £150, so i'm sure you can get a good deal if you shop around.

Thanks guys

agree with you alastair, would def intend to go with the entry level one and frankenstein it, cheers for the links

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Wossack wrote: »

Hopefully Adobe will get their ass in gear and make flash utilise gpu offloading but cant see em doing it soon.
    As AlmightyCushion said a dual core Atom would probably be a better option, like the Asrock ion 330. It has a dvd drive that you can swap out for a blu-ray drive.

I think I'd actually read that bit-tech review in the past already, and dismissed it. I think I'll hold out for the next gen ones - though the AsRock one sounds good alright, saw it mentioned in the bit-tech reviews comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

you could always get a barebones pc based on the ion's 9400 gpu chipset and add in a proper dual core cpu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Update - Regarding the upgrade to Windows 7

I rang through to the dell customer support line (nightmare)

But eventually got through to a girl that added my system to the dell database, she then put it through the eligabilty stuff and told me to go online and register.

Did that and i got through, gave my name and address, so i will now get the win7 upgrade two weeks after release.

Thanks to all that helped

Cheers Adrian..

Will give this a shot later or tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

AdrianII wrote: »
    I rang through to the dell customer support line (nightmare)
    Got the number handy per chance?

1850 543 543

give them service tag and then ask for a customer support, dont go into hardware support as they cant help you.

I said i purchased a pc and wanted to make sure i was eligable for win7, she added the service tag to a database or something and then the web option was enabled.

Happy days.

Media center pc, 2gb ram, 250gb hd, hdmi slots and win7 for 200euro

what a buy

Cheers Adrian.

Rang a half hour ago but it was closed since 8.

Will try again tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

rang dell they said they will ad it to the database!

1850 543 543

give them service tag and then ask for a customer support, dont go into hardware support as they cant help you.

I said i purchased a pc and wanted to make sure i was eligable for win7, she added the service tag to a database or something and then the web option was enabled.

Happy days.

what a buy

Ugh! Sounds like it could be a pain. Will give it a shot some day though. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Its a great product, Kompletts price is a bit much tho. I only paid £160 for mine a few weeks back + £10 delivery, for the basic model. Only difference is linux instead of Vista, and 1GB of RAM. I was putting Windows 7 beta on it anyway, so the only difference for me was £10 worth of RAM.

The basic model is £180 (€209.02) on ebuyer now, but, but i know Play were selling it for £150, so i'm sure you can get a good deal if you shop around.

Would this PC suit word processing and surfing?

Cork wrote: »
    Would this PC suit word processing and surfing?
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Any owners manage to get the warranty issue sorted out yet?
    I registered a transfer of ownership and requested an extension to the CAR warranty, citing my recent purchase of the machine from a retailer, on Dell's Irish portal...have since had a mail back to say that the tag has been transferred to me but nothing about the warranty issue...

How do you transfer ownership?

• Advertisement

[edit] Wrong link. Please see below.

What did you use for the original owner information?

Sorry AC that was completely the wrong link, copied the URL from the wrong tab.

This is the page you need.
    http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/emea/shared/support/dellcare/en/retail_form_revision?c=ie&l=en&s=gen

For some reason mine still came back with me being registered as a UK resident, even though I used the Irish portal.

Thanks for that, wertz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

I was wondering what these things were, just saw them on Dell's website. Cute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

1850 543 543

Happy days.

what a buy

I just called that number and after being put through to many different departments they said that I had to contact the retail place where I got the PC... :confused:

• Advertisement

I just called that number and after being put through to many different departments they said that I had to contact the retail place where I got the PC... :confused:

PC World are just going to put you back on to Dell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I guess that as well, will try to call again tomorrow.
    I also used that link you gave (thanks) but got no email yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Has anyone else rang them about this. I got one of these machines soon after the ba off ebay & Im gonna ring about the win7 upgrade as soon as the change of ownership is sorted. Just wondering what the current line is.

i registered mine successfully, checked online today and it said i will receive an email when win7 is available

ill up a picture of the email later on cant do it from work

Rang them recently.. and helpline told me there was a queue of 30 minutes so hung up.

Will try this evening.

• Advertisement

just for the record, this was a super bargain.
    I have played a few blue rays on it, br rips, dvds, dvd rips and all play perfect

thanks again to AC for this alert :D

A-men..

Though mine isn't even hooked up.. may as well wait til Windows 7 is released at this point!

A-men..

Though mine isn't even hooked up.. may as well wait til Windows 7 is released at this point!

I had to set mine up. Stupid PS3 just doesn't like some of the avi files I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I had to set mine up. Stupid PS3 just doesn't like some of the avi files I have.

Is it a dumb question to ask the likelyhood of any of these being left ?

iMax wrote: »
    Is it a dumb question to ask the likelyhood of any of these being left ?
    I checked about a week ago. All gone. I was tempted to get a second one incase this one breaks or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

Try http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/ works a treat :D

just for the record, this was a super bargain.
    I have played a few blue rays on it, br rips, dvds, dvd rips and all play perfect

http://i28.tinypic.com/27ycv40.jpg

there is the link to prove they are eligable for free upgrade. I obviously covered the serial tag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Thanks for that Aidrian.

Also wondering does anyone else have this running xbmc? We have it all setup & library imported & looking wonderful, even using a ps3 remote to control the whole shabang. All very beautiful, however while 720p plays fine, but it was tearing quite a bit on 1080p, we turned off aero etc on vista to test, but still had no luck with native 1080. Has anyone got a similar setup & if so any tips?

im using XBMC too, 720 fine i havent tried 1080i though.

XBMC is nice for the covers and plot outline etc, but not the best at playing the content, Try it with KM player and see if its any better.

KM player works a treat for my Blur rays

I'm using media player classic with the k-lite codec pack and notice no tearing on 1080p content. I haven't played much mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement