Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Studio Hybrid - €199.97 - PC World

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Just got onto dell & registered it fine following Adrians directions. Cheers for that Adrian.

On the playback issue, yep it seems to playback 1080p fine using the klite pack & media player. Im hoping the upgrade to win7 might solve xbmcs native playback issues. Id be interested in hearing anyone elses experiences using it though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Anyone anymore ideas where to get one of these ???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

At this price, maybe the dell outlet or off someone who bought a second one but doesn't need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

sharkman wrote: »
    Anyone anymore ideas where to get one of these ???

Best price I could see was Here , not sure if they deliver to Ireland though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

well if anyone bought one who is based in dublin and doesn't want it any more I suppose I could do you a favour and take it off your hands*

*long shot but hey yoou never know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Surely " Bargain Alert " bump has been well milked at this stage. Let it lie or move it :(

Sincerely

Jealous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just got my service tag added to the database for the Windows 7 Upgrade.

13166722.gif

Was on the worse line ever though so:

Me + poor line + Indian call-center worker = Loads of "wha's??"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Called Dell again and was told I will have to contact PC World. Can anyone go through the steps with dell on how to get your computer added for Windows 7?

center15 wrote: »
    Called Dell again and was told I will have to contact PC World. Can anyone go through the steps with dell on how to get your computer added for Windows 7?
    Ring them up on 1850 543 543 and give them your service tag, but make sure to ask to be put through to customer service, NOT technical support.

Give them the service tag when you get through to customer service.

Explain that you purchased this Dell Studio Hybrid 140G in a retail store 2 - 3 weeks ago, and that it has Vista Home Premium on it (so you're entitled to the Win 7 Home Premium Upgrade) and tell them it's not recognising your service tag on the Windows 7 Upgrade Eligibility website, and can they add it to the database.

Shouldn't be a problem.. best of luck!

• Advertisement

After 8 phone calls today with the exact same process eventually got them to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Sorry to drag up an old thread.

Had some trouble registering for the Windows 7 upgrade, Dell said it wasn't an eligible system and I'd have to talk to the retailer... told her the retailer would tell me to go back to Dell but she was having none of it, I even told her about this thread and that other people had got their service tags added to the DB but she still refused...

Anyway, decided to ring Navan PC World to explain what was happening and the girl gave me the following url:

http://www.win7upgrade.co.uk/

Which, when you follow it through, tells you that in order to claim your free upgrade you simply go with your receipt to PC World and just pick up it up in store after launch day :)

Happy days!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

viking wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread.

Had some trouble registering for the Windows 7 upgrade, Dell said it wasn't an eligible system and I'd have to talk to the retailer... told her the retailer would tell me to go back to Dell but she was having none of it, I even told her about this thread and that other people had got their service tags added to the DB but she still refused...

Anyway, decided to ring Navan PC World to explain what was happening and the girl gave me the following url:

http://www.win7upgrade.co.uk/

Which, when you follow it through, tells you that in order to claim your free upgrade you simply go with your receipt to PC World and just pick up it up in store after launch day :)

Happy days!
    That's only the case if you bought a standalone copy of vista. We bought our with a pc so we have to deal with dell and get them to send it out to us.

Ah feck, you're right ...

Dell and PC World really need to sort this out... what a joke.

Just ring up again until you get an operator who will add it to the database for you. This reminds me I must sort this for my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

any idea when these will arrive

• Advertisement

Just ring up again until you get an operator who will add it to the database for you. This reminds me I must sort this for my own.

Yeah, what a pain in the arse though, it shouldn't be this difficult... I mean 8 times until you get someone that will add your tag to the DB is just mad.

AdrianII wrote: »
    any idea when these will arrive

When what will arrive?
    viking wrote: »
    Yeah, what a pain in the arse though, it shouldn't be this difficult... I mean 8 times until you get someone that will add your tag to the DB is just mad.
    Yeah it's a complete pain in the arse. I wish it was microsoft doing it and not the manufacturer as we probably wouldn't have this issue then.

the win 7 upgrade cd from dell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭T-Bird

You should get an email from from them shortly after 22nd October when 7 is released. Just keep on trying, it took me 3 attempts and speaking to several different people (all sounding the same :eek:).

Finally, got it sorted via email

"I apologize as you are unable to register for windows 7 free upgrade. However, we have made the service tag eligible for the windows 7 free upgrade now.

I would request you to register the service tag at:

_http://www.dell.com/windows7."

• Advertisement

It's now Possible to order your Windows 7 if your tag is authorised. €20 P&P robbing b**tards!

Just ordered my free copy for 20 euro...

€20 P&P robbing b**tards!
    I told one of the lads at work I guarantee my "free" copy of Windows 7 will have a hefty postage charge..

.. so I expected this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

In this day and age they should offer a free download version or realistic postage charge

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd rather have proper pressed disks to be honest- on average I wipe my main home computer back to factory setting every 8-10 weeks. I'd rather have media I trusted to do my restores from- even if reregistering by phone with MS is annoying as hell...... Serves me right for messing with hardware and being a software tester......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

So much for the free upgrade then....€20 delivery/taxes? Only for those of us in the EU it would seem. Possiby due to Dell having to supply the OS sans IE7.
    Then it apparantly takes their order system approximately 3 weeks to manage to dispatch a set of disks. Might have it for christmas at this rate.

The hoops I had to jump through to even manage to register for the upgrade almost made keeping Vista seem worth it. Almost.
    Calling Dell CS about 20 times, then being told that my system didn't qualify or didn't exist, having eMails bounced back with irrelevant cookie cutter responses, 3 trips back to PC world to have the staff there try and sort it out with Dell (including the store manager having heated words with some line supervisor in Bangalore over the difference between a retail customer buying from their chain and direct from Dell) and an eventual mail from the only person on Dell's CS staff who understood plain english and managed to add my service tag in a matter of minutes.
    It's just as well this machine was so cheap...if I'd paid full price and had to go through all this I'd be one pissed off customer.

Big thanks to Shane and Amanda in PC world Dundalk BTW...I was surprised at how much the level of service has improved in the chain. I've been critical of the store on here in the past but it does seem that they're changing thier ways.

Wertz wrote: »
    So much for the free upgrade then....€20 delivery/taxes? Only for those of us in the EU it would seem. Possiby due to Dell having to supply the OS sans IE7.
    Then it apparantly takes their order system approximately 3 weeks to manage to dispatch a set of disks. Might have it for christmas at this rate.

The hoops I had to jump through to even manage to register for the upgrade almost made keeping Vista seem worth it. Almost.
    Calling Dell CS about 20 times, then being told that my system didn't qualify or didn't exist, having eMails bounced back with irrelevant cookie cutter responses, 3 trips back to PC world to have the staff there try and sort it out with Dell (including the store manager having heated words with some line supervisor in Bangalore over the difference between a retail customer buying from their chain and direct from Dell) and an eventual mail from the only person on Dell's CS staff who understood plain english and managed to add my service tag in a matter of minutes.
    It's just as well this machine was so cheap...if I'd paid full price and had to go through all this I'd be one pissed off customer.

Big thanks to Shane and Amanda in PC world Dundalk BTW...I was surprised at how much the level of service has improved in the chain. I've been critical of the store on here in the past but it does seem that they're changing thier ways.

The Operating System has IE7 as standard- the proposal is to roll out a ballot screen where you can choose to install alternate web browsers via the Microsoft Update Service for all users (including Vista and XP users) at a later date. There is *no* difference between the EU version of the operating system and the version shipped in the states.

smccarrick wrote: »
    The Operating System has IE7 as standard- the proposal is to roll out a ballot screen where you can choose to install alternate web browsers via the Microsoft Update Service for all users (including Vista and XP users) at a later date. There is *no* difference between the EU version of the operating system and the version shipped in the states.

Okay so it's basically just extortion of EU customers because they can?
    When placing my order I checked every other country and only EU states are being charged the 17 quid shipping and €3 duty (the exception being the UK where the price was a bit lower after STG conversion)...customers from New Zealand, various African regions, Russia...didn't seem to matter where on the planet....they were all free upgrades...only europlebs got felt up for these shipping charges, when we're physically much easier to actually ship to and so should be less expensive for Dell.

Okay so it's basically just extortion of EU customers because they can?
    When placing my order I checked every other country and only EU states are being charged the 17 quid shipping and €3 duty (the exception being the UK where the price was a bit lower after STG conversion)...customers from New Zealand, various African regions, Russia...didn't seem to matter where on the planet....they were all free upgrades...only europlebs got felt up for these shipping charges, when we're physically much easier to actually ship to and so should be less expensive for Dell.

Its manufacturer specific- some manufacturers aren't charging and shipping charge at all- others go as high as Sterling £25....... It all varies......

smccarrick wrote: »
    Its manufacturer specific- some manufacturers aren't charging and shipping charge at all- others go as high as Sterling £25....... It all varies......

I'm talking about Dell specifically though. Like I said, on their upgrade order page I selected every option in their country dropdown menu and the only customers being charged were those within the EU...all other countries were gratis.
    I thought it was because EU customers were getting a specific set of disks to satisfy the EU ruling on M$ browsers...but you say everyone is getting the same version ( I don't doubt it)...so the only conclusion I can draw is that Dell and/or the EU is adding a premium for European customers and calling it a "delivery charge". My only surprise is that the Irish weren't being charged €30 ;)

Anyway no big deal, just have to wonder why europe seems to get hit up for extra fees...the likes of paying VAT on subscriptions for digital content sourced and hosted outside the EU and such also springs to mind...

• Advertisement

Did they contact you in regard to the win7. i registered months ago now and havent heard a thing.

where is this 20euro delivery charge coming from

No, no contact or eMail. It just happened that I eventually got registered on the 21st and so created an account that day.

https://win7.dell.com/

Create an account on there (assuming your tag is recognised) then log in to the account and the upgrade relating to the srvice tag should be in your cart. Proceed to checkout.
    The €20 consists of €17.20 shipping and €2.80 duties (nice round number) is added when you choose your shipping destination...you need a CC to pay.
    Then expect up to a month for despatch (in fairness mine has come down from 6 weeks to 2 weeks since I last checked).
    I assume it's being shipped from the US, at least centrally, probably bulk redistribution from their EU plant...

No, no contact or eMail. It just happened that I eventually got registered on the 21st and so created an account that day.

https://win7.dell.com/

Create an account on there (assuming your tag is recognised) then log in to the account and the upgrade relating to the srvice tag should be in your cart. Proceed to checkout.
    The €20 consists of €17.20 shipping and €2.80 duties (nice round number) is added when you choose your shipping destination...you need a CC to pay.
    Then expect up to a month for despatch (in fairness mine has come down from 6 weeks to 2 weeks since I last checked).
    I assume it's being shipped from the US, at least centrally, probably bulk redistribution from their EU plant...

€2.80 duties?
    I thought all MS EMEA shipments were from Ireland?

It may well have said taxes either...I don't recall too well, and didn't get a screengrab, but it definitely broke the 20 quid down into shipping/delivery and tax or duty.

Anyone recieved their Windows 7 disc yet?

I ordered mine on the day of release (2 weeks ago).. and my girlfriend's sister ordered hers 2 - 3 days after me, and she recieved a notification of despatch 2 nights ago.

I've recieved no notification of despatch or nothing.

Anyone else waiting? Christ... after paying €20 for shipping, I would have assumed it was next day delivery.

PS - It's status is 'Ordered' under My Account on the Win 7 Upgrade Site.

basquille wrote: »

I ordered mine on the day of release (2 weeks ago).. and my girlfriend's sister ordered hers 2 - 3 days after me, and she recieved a notification of despatch 2 nights ago.

Anyone else waiting? Christ... after paying €20 for shipping, I would have assumed it was next day delivery.

same here no disc. I'd say it was sent slowest mail possible!

If its any consolation- the Acer disks with the other offer haven't shipped yet either.

No phone number on the website either.. so sent them an e-mail pissing and moaning!

Will let ye know what I get back.

When the xp -> vista upgrade disks were being sent out mine took ages from dell. I think it was a couple of weeks. Given the €20 cost you should be getting the disks four and a half seconds after you ordered and they should be hand delivered by a naked playboy model.

• Advertisement

i registered for the upgrade ages ago. didnt have to pay anything.

am i missing something

AdrianII wrote: »
    i registered for the upgrade ages ago. didnt have to pay anything.

am i missing something
    You registered for the upgrade, but did you actually login after it was released and pay to ship it?

See Wertz's instructions here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62774479&postcount=233

Hmm, mine finally despatched last night from Ontario (not sure if that's canadian one or a minor US city) and is now in kentucky according to tracking.
    Coming via UPS. Due on mon or tues of next week.

Jez, I just checked not even shipped yet!! Estimated delivery date 11/15/2009. hate dell!

What I sent (250 character limit on the Contact Form):
    I ordered my Windows 7 Upgrade on the day of release (2 weeks ago) and have gotten no notification of shipment.

After paying €20 for shipping, how exactly is it taking ye 2 weeks to ship it?

Not happy in the slightest with your service.
    And the reply 2 days later..
    Thank you for contacting the Dell™ | Windows® 7 Option Upgrade Customer Care Team.

After you have received your shipment confirmation email you may track your package by clicking on the tracking number in your order confirmation email. You may also log in to your Windows® 7 Upgrade account at : https://win7.dell.com/

and click on the "Order Status" link on the right. The order status, shipping, and tracking information will be displayed. You may track your package in the US using the following link:

http://www.ups-mi.net/packageID/default.aspx

Kind regards,
    Dell™ | Windows® 7 Option Upgrade Customer Care Team
    There's nothing that pisses me off more than these template replies! :mad:

What I sent (250 character limit on the Contact Form):

And the reply 2 days later..

There's nothing that pisses me off more than these template replies! :mad:

lol exact same thing happened me when I was initially trying to register my service tag. Ended up having to dig up an old invoice from years back and using that order and customer number for the required fields for the CS eMail form to get through.
    Dell really need to look at their means of contact...I'd never ring their call centres again...email is definitely the way to go, but having to jump through hoops like required fields or character limits only to have cookie cutter stuff sent back is as bad as indian accents.

[edit] Basquille what's your estimated ship date when you log in to your account? Mine initially was for mid december but it eventually came back to nov 5.

• Advertisement

[edit] Basquille what's your estimated ship date when you log in to your account? Mine initially was for mid december but it eventually came back to nov 5.
    November 15th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jez, I just checked not even shipped yet!! Estimated delivery date 11/15/2009. hate dell!
    And it's Dell's fault because...? The one company that took care of the upgrade from XP to Vista was the company MICROSOFT used. And every single company had to get teh customers to get the upgrade from. HP, Dell, eMachines, Gateway, Toshiba... EVERYONE. And man, did f**kups occur on a large scale, people not getting their disks until ages afterwards, etc.

My point: Dell has no control over this. Microsoft has some control over it, but Dell doesn't.

There's a great Dell person on Twitter here, I think this might explain the slow down.
    @LisaG_atDell "we had over 18k a minute people registering for Win 7. They are coming from MS as fast a possible."

You see what's annoying me more is they're clearly not doing it in order of first applied as my girlfriend's sister recieved a despatch notice a few days back despite her applying for the upgrade days after me.

Advertisement