Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Deposit Question

Options
  • 16-08-2009 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭

As the recession has hit us like many others we have to been forced to review our situation!

Our lease ended in may, we got a reduction in rent and got a new lease! We didnt sign the lease not for any particular reason, it was sitting in our folder and we completely forgot. Anyway recently we have been forced to look at other places to live as our rent here is crippling us we feel we are working for our rent, which seems absolutely stupid when we are trying to save for our own mortgage, so priorites have led us here!

We asked for a further reduction (nothing to lose) didnt get a response so started viewing other apts, found somewhere cheap but tiny, decided f it, we have to do this so i handed in our four week notice. The letting agency got back to us and said they would try to negotiate a reduction not as much that we are looking for but if we leave we will lose our deposit!

So this leads me to my question

Even though we didnt sign the second lease can they keep our deposit?
    Plus : The deposit we paid is 200euro more than our current rent? is there anything that can be done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

When you say it ended in may but you got a new one?

What exactly do you mean?

If you have not signed anything for the 2nd year and give 6 weeks notice then you are covered under the 2004 tenacy act.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/types_of_tenancy

Tell the Agency if they do not return the depost (assuming the place is left in order) you will pursue them for it.

Are you PRTB registered as well? If not use that to hang them with.

Advertisement