Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL keeps dropping

• 16-08-2009 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi,

I just switched from the 3MB eircom package to the 7MB package. I didn't have this problem with the 3MB but it drops about once every two hours now....

Here's some of the stats:
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4416 384
    SN Margin (dB) 0.00 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 45.00 28.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

I have a netopia 3347NWG (which eircom gave me and worked up till the change no problems.)

Can someone please advise me what to do as this is killing my gaming!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Your Line is not capable of supporting 7Mb, downgrade to 3mb again as it's about the most you can get from that line and still have a reliable connection.
    You're only connecting at a little over 4Mbs and have a 0 noise margin which is really bad.

You want your attenuation as low as possible and your noise margin as high as possible

My line attenuation is 50db and I can just about hold 3Mbs

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As Redshift says above your line is disastrous. You could also check your internal wiring to see if is making any negative contribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

You could try disconnecting the bell wire and/or buying a better DSL Filter & Modem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Is it plugged into the first socket or an extension? That makes a big difference. Also, how old is the router? The newer silver modems are much better. Also, putting newer firmware on the router should improve things. If all of that fails, go back to 3MB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

Adro947 wrote: »
    Is it plugged into the first socket or an extension? That makes a big difference. Also, how old is the router? The newer silver modems are much better. Also, putting newer firmware on the router should improve things. If all of that fails, go back to 3MB.

I have one of the silver routers alright... I'll try that before I do anything drastic....

Also I normally get 5MB out if it, not 4 as shown above, this only happens about 10% of the time and I believe it happens when people first get home from work and the usage in the area goes up.

Also, can someone reccommend an online retailer where I could buy extra DSL filters? I have disconnected all the extra phones in the house that dont have one but could do with one more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Also, can someone reccommend an online retailer where I could buy extra DSL filters? I have disconnected all the extra phones in the house that dont have one but could do with one more.

http://www.adslnation.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

I have one of the silver routers alright... I'll try that before I do anything drastic....

Also I normally get 5MB out if it, not 4 as shown above, this only happens about 10% of the time and I believe it happens when people first get home from work and the usage in the area goes up.

Convention is unrelated to speed it'll sync at. That's the max it'll allow down the line. Also, filtered sockets work wonders as opposed to plug in filters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Redshift wrote: »
    Your Line is not capable of supporting 7Mb, downgrade to 3mb again as it's about the most you can get from that line and still have a reliable connection.

How do tell what speeds your eircom landline can support?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Redshift wrote: »

How do tell what speeds your eircom landline can support?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

Ok, so I did a bit of re-wiring and changed my modem to the silver eircom one and put the second latest firmware on (the latest wouldn't install for some reason??) and now my DSL stats look like this:

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 5120 384
    SN Margin (dB) 11.20 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 47.00 28.00
    CRC Errors 0 1

Does this look much healthier?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Ok, so I did a bit of re-wiring and changed my modem to the silver eircom one and put the second latest firmware on (the latest wouldn't install for some reason??) and now my DSL stats look like this:

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 5120 384
    SN Margin (dB) 11.20 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 47.00 28.00
    CRC Errors 0 1

Does this look much healthier?
    A lot healthier, your Noise Margin is borderline low and attenuation borderline high for 5MB, if you ever get more problems with disconnections of speed, request that Eircom drop your profile to 4MB to stabilise the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Johnny Volume

Hi,

I appear to be experiencing similar issues with my 7MB eircom broadband. Could someone please explain what these figures mean?

Here are my DSL Statistics:

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168 384
    SN Margin (dB) 11.00 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 30.00 15.50
    CRC Errors 4 2

Thanks,
    Johnny

Advertisement