Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham vs Liverpool FC

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

spurs have a better squad than us too.

so actually we're fifth.

oh & Man City, so we're 6th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Mr Alan wrote: »
    spurs have a better squad than us too.

so actually we're fifth.

oh & Man City, so we're 6th.

spot on!

Christ we must have the best manager in the world if he can get the 6th best squad in the PL to second in the league.

Christ we must have the best manager in the world if he can get the 6th best squad in the PL to second in the league.

but city and spurs were not as strong.

but arsne geting the 3rd best to win it would be better no? ;)

but reading this thread you wouldn't think pool fans think rafa is the best manager in the world

fickle eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well, no.

Liverpool's squad has gone backward since last season. As has United's btw.

and what you make of Aquilani Des, i presume you've watched him a lot considering you know the impact he is going to have throughout the year.

Johnson & Aquilani in, Alonso & Arbeloa, there isn't much in that tbh if aquilani is as good as people rate him.

Compare that to Ronaldo & Tevez out and Owen & Valencia in (i still can't believe that)

Compare that to Ronaldo & Tevez out and Owen & Valencia in (i still can't believe that)

should make it all the easier for you to win the league so?

ntlbell wrote: »
    should make it all the easier for you to win the league so?

yep, I think Utds points tally will suffer.

(getting rid of the best/second best player in the world will do that to most teams)

yep, I think Utds points tally will suffer.

(getting rid of the best/second best player in the world will do that to most teams)

Cantona gone - following year, Champions.

Rudd Gone - following year, champions

Roy Keane gone - Following year, champions

The last 3 times united have lost their best player they have gone on to win the league the following year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

and what you make of Aquilani Des, i presume you've watched him a lot considering you know the impact he is going to have throughout the year.

Johnson & Aquilani in, Alonso & Arbeloa, there isn't much in that tbh if aquilani is as good as people rate him.

What people rate him? He has played less football than Saha for Christ Sake!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Oh Good God, not another match day thread turned into a Liverpool Man U. thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The last 3 times united have lost their best player they have gone on to win the league the following year.

none of the players you've mentioned were anywhere near as good as Ronaldo.

Boggles wrote: »
    What people rate him? He has played less football than Saha for Christ Sake!!!

most people who've watched him regularly rate him very highly.

I'll reserve judgement until i've seen more of him, you obviously won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

In fairness, whether they were as good as Ronaldo is irrelevant, its their influence on the team & results at the time thats comparable.

And IMO, both Keane & Cantona were many times the players than skippy was/is.

As pointed out it's irrelvant as they were all totally different players and can't really be compared

you can't compare the service and influence of roy yet only scored only 50 goals to someone who had in most peoples eyes 1 good season.

it's strange how people change there stance on ronaldo to suit their own argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

As a United fan I cant see at all how or why this is relevant?

It means literally zero.

As a United fan I cant see at all how or why this is relevant?

It means literally zero.

I'm merely pointing out that losing stars previously hasn't caused united major problems in the past

so there's nothing to suggest it will in the future. (that doesn't mean that it won't)

fairly straight forward like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

John47832 - Voronin was actually pretty good when he came on - don't know what you're talking about there.

Sorry - remind me what he done - keeping in mind he is a striker and he never looks like scoring

put it this way - offer him to Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea -or even Spurs, Villa or Everton - would they take him?

he is our main striker if Torres is injured :eek:

my stance on ronaldo has never changed one bit.

the man was a beast of a footballer.

Ntl, would you like a little wager on whether or not Utd points tally will be lower than it was last year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ntl, would you like a little wager on whether or not Utd points tally will be lower than it was last year?

Im sure he'd agree if you put the same bet on Liverpool.

I'll do what I normally do each year, it's normally to you and you usually refuse.

I have 1k that says united will finish above Liverpool.

I know I could get better odds elsewhere as could you, but it's the pleasure of removing the money from a pool fan instead of a blank faced bookie and vice versa for you.

again, i'm going to refuse, i'm not putting a thousand Euro on the line that Liverpool will win the league-i'm not sure if they will-i know they have a good chance though.

I will however put €50 on with you that Utd finish with less points this season than they did last season (eg:Ronaldos loss will effect their performance this season in a negative way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Saw the King and Bassong interview on skysports.com. Both of them played very well yes. Tottenham did deserve to win. Liverpool need to win against Stoke on Wed.

I am just wondering. What happens to these threads? Are they closed? The match was yesterday and others are going to be set up for the upcoming games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

my stance on ronaldo has never changed one bit.

the man was a beast of a footballer.

But he never did it in the big games, did he? ;)

again, i'm going to refuse, i'm not putting a thousand Euro on the line that Liverpool will win the league-i'm not sure if they will-i know they have a good chance though.

I will however put €50 on with you that Utd finish with less points this season than they did last season (eg:Ronaldos loss will effect their performance this season in a negative way)

They don't have to win the league, they just have to finish above united ;)

finishing with less points won't prove it was a ronaldo affect at all.

It's a pointless bet, but my previous wager is open to you.

• Advertisement

But he never did it in the big games, did he? ;)

1)there would have been a lot less "big games" to be had if he wasn't around
    2)that is a criticism that hasn't been valid in about 2 years & isn't one that i ever levelled at him, certainly not in the last 2 yrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

1)there would have been a lot less "big games" to be had if he wasn't around
    2)that is a criticism that hasn't been valid in about 2 years & isn't one that i ever levelled at him, certainly not in the last 2 yrs.

I was being ironic, and trotting out the usual criticisms levelled at him. Hence the wink smiley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

wow

Mr Alan will be losing alot of money at the end of the season

;)

Headshot wrote: »
    wow

Mr Alan will be losing alot of money at the end of the season

;)

He won't lose much as he doesn't seem to have a lot of confidence in the pre-season super star and the best manager in the world ;)

who's the pre-season superstar?

Heres a bet for you, I'll throw €50 on with you that Liverpool finish ahead of Utd this year, but in addition to that, if they do-you'll also stay out of Liverpool match threads for the following season.

Deal? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Heres a bet for you, I'll throw €50 on with you that Liverpool finish ahead of Utd this year, but in addition to that, if they do-you'll also stay out of Liverpool match threads for the following season.

Thats hugely -EV for ntlbell, the amount of enjoyment he gets from winding you all up is worth far more than €50 to him.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd also have the opposite deal, that Mr Alan has to stay out of Manchester match threads.

i'll go for it if he will, i don't really post in match threads anyway.

Make it 1k and I'll stay out of the liverpool match threads for the rest of this season.

i'm not betting 1k with you Ntl

I'd neck myself if i lost a grand to you! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Just to bring this back on topic

Just got off 24 hour flight to find that we beat the pool 2-1.

Great start to the season!

you's have reason to be hopeful this year, reckon you'll give the top 4 a good go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

you's have reason to be hopeful this year, reckon you'll give the top 4 a good go.

Doubt it. The hammering that everton took doesn't mean arsenal are the new best thing ever, just that they played well and everton were awful. The same applies with Spurs and Liverpool.

Spurs aren't good enough for top 4. You need to consistently score points, and their front 2, midfield 4 and back 4 changes every week which means they will drop points. Probably around 7th I would wager. Maybe 6th.

Similarly, the fact that they lost doesn't prove liverpool won't win the title. Though, the facyt that they aren't good enough certainly does. :D

i'm not basing my opinion on the game at the weekend, i held it before the weekend-although, yesterday confirmed wat i already believed. they have a very good squad, have made good buys in the last 18 mths & have a good manager who'll be there for the long haul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

i'm not basing my opinion on the game at the weekend, i held it before the weekend-although, yesterday confirmed wat i already believed. they have a very good squad, have made good buys in the last 18 mths & have a good manager who'll be there for the long haul.

:eek:

I was agreeing with everything you said up until that bit. Mr Alan, meet Mr Redknapp. Mr Redknapp? Mr Alan. A good manager he may be, but he treats clubs like disposable phones. Use once, throw away. As soon as the going gets tough round there, Mr "2 points from 8 games" will be off like a hot snot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

"The report of my death is an exaggeration" - Mark Twain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement