Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham vs Liverpool FC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

rossie1977 wrote: »
    what is going to piss off liverpool fans even more is that bassong should have been banned for this match, only served one match of his two match ban he got at the end of last season

Doesn't make a difference imo, spurs deserved the win, if I was a Liverpool fan I would be slightly concerned about the depth of the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PHB wrote: »
    Yossi made a big difference when he came on.

Liverpool were completely different when Yossi came on. Up to that point, we just weren't at the races.

Fair played to Spurs though, played extremely well and should push every team all the way this season. Harry could actually have them living up to their potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

liverpool were never going to win the league anyway, 3rd at best, more than likely 4th, liverpool are going to miss alonso far more than Man utd (1-0) are going to miss ronaldo, mark my words

Well done on coming to that conclusion based on one game. And FYI, Man U beating B'Ham at 1-0 at home is hardly a good indicator of what is to come.

Anyway, I was too hungover from my bro's wedding to see the game. I caught the last twenty and we looked underwhelming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

as was said you cant serve the one ban for two different clubs

YES you can ..... what happens with players when they are transferred ? - any bans transfer as its the player that is banned.

It hit his right hand which was covering his chest. No peno.

watch it again ..... hits the hand in front of chest....... (not a penalty) ... goes across to the right (of screen) .... players left arm is out or comes out .... ball/hand ....Penalty !!

Anyone hear Rafa .... not a happy chappie

could almost agree with Glen Hoddle at half-time ... Spurs have a better depth in their squad than liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

PCPhoto wrote: »
    could almost agree with Glen Hoddle at half-time ... Spurs have a better depth in their squad than liverpool.

hate to say it , i agree , we have a limited squad

as harry is saying now .... Robbie had plenty of chances for Spurs to be 3 up before half-time

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

He pointed out crouch and pav. Which is nice and all, but they have no gerrard and torres who are world 22. They have no reina either. Etc.

Rafa said when asked about Zabi

" we have won games without alonzo ,so its not fair to talk about that "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Theres always next year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

watch it again ..... hits the hand in front of chest....... (not a penalty) ... goes across to the right (of screen) .... players left arm is out or comes out .... ball/hand ....Penalty !!

The way I saw it was the ball came in; defender put his right arm in front of his chest; the ball hit his arm and went out. Didn't see it hit his other hand myself.

Not surprised to hear Rafa is pissed off.

I've never been more convinced that Babel cannot play out wide. He should ideally be competing for N'gog's position.

spockety wrote: »
    He pointed out crouch and pav. Which is nice and all, but they have no gerrard and torres who are world 22. They have no reina either. Etc.

yes - we have better individual players ..... but as previously mentioned ...can we keep gerrard/torres fit all season.

TBH I dont think Torres was up for the game today....fingers crossed for a lashback at Stoke.

PS. just to add .... Gerrard cost me as my opponent in Fantasy Footy had him as captain....so I lost my head2head :(

Stargate wrote: »

Who ??? Xabi Alonso ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

It's Xabi fyi

beat ya to it :P

It's Xabi fyi

X Z zabi xabi , wtf , he still isnt a Liverpool player now , i was just pointing out what Rafa said , didnt know it was a spelling contest , 10 out of 10 to both of you , congrats :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

It looked like Gerrard had no confidence in anyone on the team. Apart from Torres who couldn't get a look in.

^

beat ya to it :P

HaHa so you did :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

and wont be available for a couple of weeks ..... signed an injured player !!! :eek: only Rafa could do it !!!

Two words, one letter and one apostrophe: Martin O' Neill

what is going to piss off liverpool fans even more is that bassong should have been banned for this match, only served one match of his two match ban he got at the end of last season

I think he missed a Newcastle match because of that ban and you can't be banned for the same offence for two different clubs. So because he missed a Newcastle game, that made him available for todays game.

Either way, i don't care. He was playing. We knew he was playing. We should have dealt with it. No Excuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Let's just all come out and say it. Lucas was awful today. But so were about 8 or 9 others, and we're kidding ourselves and have short memories if you think Alonso would have made much difference today. Second best all over the field.

+1

There a million things to criticise before we get to Lucas today.

What on earth did Yossi do to get dropped? What on earth did Babel do to start?

Why does Torres stay down everytime he is tackled (even fairly)? Also I wish he would get back onside quicker, the amount of times he has to hold his hands up to say he isn't interfering with play is frustrating.

Johnson looks a little bit dodgey defensively, one run, no matter how outstanding, doesn't mask the fact.

Kuyt may have been ineffective but even when he doesn't offer much going forward he can stop a ball, carry it on, pass it back - you know actually keep the play going! Babel contributes absolutely nothing.

It was always going to be a tough game but we can have few complaints. I think the shove on Voronin was a foul as it was in his back and there was no attempt to play the ball but Spurs were the better team today.

I am a little concerned but we did alright last season despite losing at WHL.

Yossi and possibly Isua are the only players who come away with any credit today for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

noodler wrote: »
    Kuyt may have been ineffective but even when he doesn't offer much going forward he can stop a ball, carry it on, pass it back - you know actually keep the play going! Babel contributes absolutely nothing.

this is a great point. This also applies to Yossi and Riera. Babel just can't keep possession.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

obviously we have a lot more Liverpool fans on here so will get a lot more people saying liverpool (or their individual players) did x, y & z wrong but i gotta say Spurs did well today and actually have a very strong squad this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

As a Liverpool fan anyone complaining about the peno,ref,etc...needs to look at the big picture. The lack of money for big time players is a real worry.Thank god Rafa is the manager or else we would be in real trouble. Babel,Voronin,N'Gog are players that would struggle to get into the Bolton team never mind Liverpool's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Bandit12 wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan anyone complaining about the peno,ref,etc...needs to look at the big picture. The lack of money for big time players is a real worry.Thank god Rafa is the manager or else we would be in real trouble. Babel,Voronin,N'Gog are players that would struggle to get into the Bolton team never mind Liverpool's.

How Benitez rates Voronin and N'Gog above Robbie Keane is beyond, me, and I'm sure a s**tload of other Liverpool fans...?

How Benitez rates Voronin and N'Gog above Robbie Keane is beyond, me, and I'm sure a s**tload of other Liverpool fans...?

given that we have what looks like no money to spend this season would you rather we'd kept Keane, and, having sold Alonso and Arbeloa (who wanted to leave) had no money to replace them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

very disappointing from Babel, I had hope those days may have been over. the sooner he stops playing on the wings the better...

Not to be pedantic but Keane missed 3 glorious chances and was subbed at around the same time as Rafa used to sub him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

noodler wrote: »
    What on earth did Yossi do to get dropped? What on earth did Babel do to start?

Babel offered absolutely nothing down the left, to be played before an in form Yossi is Bizzare, to leave Babel on after half time was hope against hope, we looked much better with Yossi on the pitch. Very strange.

• Advertisement

given that we have what looks like no money to spend this season would you rather we'd kept Keane, and, having sold Alonso and Arbeloa (who wanted to leave) had no money to replace them?

Keane is a better striker than Voronin and N'Gog. Simple as. And yes, I would've liked Benitez to keep him.

so are we saying we have a shi**te team and not only that , but we have no money so we HAVE to play these players to represent LIVERPOOL FC the greatest club on earth , if so we are fu%$%$ked

Not to be pedantic but Keane missed 3 glorious chances and was subbed at around the same time as Rafa used to sub him.

But you are being pedantic, are you not!? ;)

Hindsight though, I doubt Rafa knew Alonso was on his way when he sold Keane. A better point would be he just couldn't get 15m for the likes of Babel, Voronin or N'Gog.
    very disappointing from Babel, I had hope those days may have been over. the sooner he stops playing on the wings the better...

The sooner he stops playing the better in my opinion. I would rather play with two up front in Voronin and Kuyt (or N'Gog) if Torres is injured at this stage.

Its not even like he is Left-Side of midfield - he is far more forward, he is in the same type of position as Kuyt but just can't get into good positions/retain possession.

Keane is a better striker than Voronin and N'Gog. Simple as. And yes, I would've liked Benitez to keep him.

Nobody is doubting that.
    But how would we have replaced Alonso and Arbeloa, as well as make the other signings people are calling for with 16m less to spend than we have spent this summer?
    Please answer my question instead of coming back with "X is better than X"

My view - Keane, like Crouch, Bellamy, Sissoko and others before him would be an excellent squad player. Like them, he wasn't functioning well enough to be a Liverpool first eleven player. Simple as. So it was sell him, or keep him as an unhappy reserve and have no money to replace two want away players

But you are being pedantic, are you not!? ;)

Kinda ;)

so are we saying we have a shi**te team and not only that , but we have no money so we HAVE to play these players to represent LIVERPOOL FC the greatest club on earth , if so we are fu%$%$ked

we don't have a sh*t team, we have the bulk of a team that pushed United very close for the league last season.
    We were rubbish today. But it's not the end of the world. As others have said Spurs will push the other top 4 hard. If we lose our next 2 or 3 games, then it's time to panic.

You are just trolling now. I could show you a link to the Guardian article where they predict Liverpool will be champions - doesn't prove anything.

• Advertisement

There's an article in today's Sunday Independent - which I can't find - in which Benitez basically says he'd be happy to finish 4th again this year, and not win the league......?

If I find it, I'll post the link.

There's an article in today's Sunday Independent - which I can't find - in which Benitez basically says he'd be happy to finish 4th again this year, and not win the league......?

If I find it, I'll post the link.

I can guarantee you it's made-up, misquoted or taken out of context.
    If he'd said that it would be headline news. But you know this.

By the way, are you working on an answer for my previous question?

we don't have a sh*t team, we have the bulk of a team that pushed United very close for the league last season.
    We were rubbish today. But it's not the end of the world. As others have said Spurs will push the other top 4 hard. If we lose our next 2 or 3 games, then it's time to panic.

whatawaster i aint in a panic ...yet :) I support Liverpool fc and the ups / downs that go with that ..........feel like most fans today , disappointed in a poor display , rem we only lost 2 games all last season , 37 more games to go phew , spurs are always a tough game and have a fine squad now under harry , we did ok in the 2nd half , but in order to win the EPL we have to be beating spurs , be interesting to see how the other top 4 fare against them , and i thought City yesterday away from home looked good too , think this season willbe very tight again , with maybe the top 5 /6 fighting hard all the way for top spot , all i can say is ... bring on stock:)

Nobody is doubting that.
    But how would we have replaced Alonso and Arbeloa, as well as make the other signings people are calling for with 16m less to spend than we have spent this summer?
    Please answer my question instead of coming back with "X is better than X"

My view - Keane, like Crouch, Bellamy, Sissoko and others before him would be an excellent squad player. Like them, he wasn't functioning well enough to be a Liverpool first eleven player. Simple as. So it was sell him, or keep him as an unhappy reserve and have no money to replace two want away players

We've replaced Arbeloa with Johnson - good signing. And we've replaced Alonso with Aquilani - who won't make his debut till October at least. Where have you been?:p;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

We can only get 4th place now. What a disappointing season.

We've replaced Arbeloa with Johnson - good signing. And we've replaced Alonso with Aquilani - who won't make his debut till October at least. Where have you been?:p;)

Yes i know we have.

BUT IF WE DIDN'T SELL KEANE WHERE WOULD THE MONEY FOR BOTH OF THEM HAVE COME FROM?

I'm really sorry i had to resort to caps.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

Come on FFS.

Regarding Johnson, undoubtedly better going forward than Arbeloa but I feel Arbeloa had the stronger defensive side which is obviously where my priorities would lie. Shame to get 3.5m for Arbeloa and buy a Johnson for 17m.

I'll keep this as simply as i can. Rafa wanted Barry. Parry wanted to get Keane. Rafa said he would like Keane, but not at the expense of Barry. We missed out on Barry because we would not or could not afford Barry because we had paid out on Keane, due to Parry's willingness.

Rafa got p!ssed off at Parry because of that. He's in charge of the players, not Parry. He sold Keane back to Spurs that released a lot of funds back to the club

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

HaHa seasons end already , i was just getting used to the rollercoster .awwwwwww can you bring on the 2010/2011 season Eire-Dearg please , maybe we COULD win that one :D

• Advertisement

Yes i know we have.

BUT IF WE DIDN'T SELL KEANE WHERE WOULD THE MONEY FOR BOTH OF THEM HAVE COME FROM?

I'm really sorry i had to resort to caps.

Masch maybe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement