Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will this work??

• 16-08-2009 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

My NCT runs out on 29 nov, but i want to sell the car soon, so i'm putting it through early. Was looking for a date after the 29 Aug (3 months early), but the first one i can get is 15 oct.
    So i was on the ncts site and theres a date free on the 25 aug. Can i put the car through on the 25 Aug, maybe take out a brake light bulb so it'll fail (it might anyway), then hopefully only a retest in Sept and get the full 26 month NCT. Or will my test date be down as 25 Aug regardless of a retest??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Anybody any idea on this??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Julian20

would you not sell your car without NCT? perhaps you`ll get less money for it, but also less trouble for you. what car is it anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The NCT is dated 24 months from when the previous one expires, isn't it? So it'll still last until November 2011.
    The reson I think this is the case is because I got an 05 car recently and the NCT was due to be done for the first time in November but the dealer put it through early in July. My NCT now doesn't expire until November 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

What the fup are you on about?! It doesn't matter when you NCT it the expiry will be the same. It's based on the original date of registration of the vehicle. It will only ever be the 29t of november from now until the day it passes on to the scrapyard in the Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

first nct test can be done 6 months before its due,so you get 30 months nct,any test after that can be done 3 months before its due,you get 27 monts nct,don't think the nct will let you test the car before the 3 month period

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

vw4life wrote: »
    first nct test can be done 6 months before its due,so you get 30 months nct,any test after that can be done 3 months before its due,you get 27 monts nct,don't think the nct will let you test the car before the 3 month period

+1 on this

i dont think you can actually get a booking for your car over the 3 month early rule thingy.

I've got the date booked, its 4 days before the 3 month rule. I think you can book a nct anytime you want, but the expire date will be the same.

My problem is if i pass my nct on the 25 Aug, it will expire on 29 nov 2009, if i fail on the 25 Aug, get a retest in sept, i'm hopeing i will get an nct till 29 nov 2011.

I'll just phone the nct tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

in affect they are going to test a car that has already passed,so like you say,if it passes,it still expires on 29 nov 2009,if it fails I cant see them allowing a retest to be counted to cover you until 29 nov 2011

but it would be cool if it did

Just an update for anyone thats interested. The date of the retest is taken as the date you done your test on, regardless if your retest is only a visual inspection.

So i have my test for next tue, i'll take out a bulb or something else simple to ensure a fail, get a retest quickly, hopefully in the first week of sept and get my 27 month NCT making it much easier to sell my car.:D

Advertisement