Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is kevin street like?

Options
  • 16-08-2009 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

I've got an excellent chance i'm going there to do computer science!(got 305 needed 230+) whats the place like?

Is it big?
    Is it a kip?lol

what range of societies is there ?etc

thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

its a decent size, the cafteria is o.k. for breakfast nothing amazing but cheap enough , you are just off steven green so lots of places to eat and lots of places to go for drink after classes.

Its not a kip i wouldn't say , i mean you will never be sort a computer to use , it has an atm/bank and SU shop and a snackary for sitting in between class.

Plus your right across the road from Aungier street (where you will have some classes too).

Basically between the two campuses you can join just about any soc in dit.
    heres a list of socs http://socs.dit.ie/socs_list.php?campus=all (hmm site seems to be down they must be updating)

Gamesoc is the best Soc in Kevin :D (it was started by a bunch of comp science students two years ago and won best Kevin street Soc and Best DIT soc last year) oh and yes this iS a clear plug as i am on the Commitee.

We have a website http://gamesockst.socs.dit.ie/ but (the dit servers are down right now, plus i am overalling the site next week anyway)
    But our bebo page is full of pictures http://www.bebo.com/ditgamesoc .

Anyway if your already in dublin you can just go in to kevin street and walk around to see what it is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ninwilky

basically one part looks really nice and the rest kinda looks like a hospital. its a fairly old building.

couple of the lecture theatres arent great, but having said that the building does have perfectly working facilities. the computers were already pointed at, the library is lovely, theres pool tables and a games room. the courtyard is fairly nice looking too. i dont think the societies are up to much. theres a few good ones, [loads of sports though] but there isnt a good range like you'd find in DCU or trinity or where ever and they arent nearly as well funded

im just finished first year in that course bar repeats. watch out for your communications and personal development lecturer and do NOT be late for her or she'll chew the arse off ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sheila2278

hey....did anyone do the science course in dit,whats it like,will i get something at the end??x:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

ninwilky wrote: »
    basically one part looks really nice and the rest kinda looks like a hospital. its a fairly old building.

couple of the lecture theatres arent great, but having said that the building does have perfectly working facilities. the computers were already pointed at, the library is lovely, theres pool tables and a games room. the courtyard is fairly nice looking too. i dont think the societies are up to much. theres a few good ones, [loads of sports though] but there isnt a good range like you'd find in DCU or trinity or where ever and they arent nearly as well funded

im just finished first year in that course bar repeats. watch out for your communications and personal development lecturer and do NOT be late for her or she'll chew the arse off ya

she's actually harmless

edit: also yeah give us a heads up and we'll sort you out, you'll see the Gamesoc guys about constantly and specifically early in the year, just give us a bell and we'll help you with whatever you need since a big chunk of the committee are Comp Sci heads.

Kevin ST is a lovely place, get's a lot of flack for no reason, Aungier ST is right next door though and is the polar opposite of Kevin ST so you get the best of both worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 g1rl

Imo Kevin St is better than Aungier, it's smaller so you get to know it quicker, and it's so cosy! I think Aungier feels too big and real cold or something.
    Also if you're a smoker they just built smoking huts in the courtyard which i'm very excited about :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

It's like an old hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭adamtj09

g1rl wrote: »
    Imo Kevin St is better than Aungier, it's smaller so you get to know it quicker, and it's so cosy! I think Aungier feels too big and real cold or something.
    Also if you're a smoker they just built smoking huts in the courtyard which i'm very excited about :D

Tut tut smoking kills!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

g1rl wrote: »

Great news, sick of having to walk by that horribleness on the way to the Annex every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bone_Daddy

Hey, was wonderin if anyone has done or is doing the mathematical sciences course and if so what are the lecturers (sound or dodgey) and lecture rooms like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dawnay

hey im starting in kevin street this semester doing common science....has anybody been on that course? just wondering what to expect?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Don't know about the course, but you're to expect an overpriced SU shop, crap canteen food, and badly maintained toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Max_Damage wrote: »
    It's like an old hospital.

Ironically an entry into RTE Storyland competition called "Psych Ward" (guess what it's about) was partially shot in Kevin St.

...so basically it's not just like a hospital, it's like a mental institution. What's that? We're all moving into Grange-gorman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

The Library is a bit crap in Kevin St. Aungier St has far better facilities in terms of the variety of classrooms, library etc.

DIT is badly in need of relocating to Grangegorman, but I can't see this happening anytime soon.

That being said I enjoyed DIT a lot.

the move is due 1n 2017 i believe so we'll all be long gone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

You never know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Some current first years will possibly take a year out, finish up, do another degree and even a masters, so they could see the transition to the new campus!

i meant for a standard 4 year course lol

i think some of the sports are already out there at the moment

Advertisement