Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where are we?

Options
  • 16-08-2009 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Why is this country screwed? i know its been asked before,, but why oh why ,are we ,as a people putting up with the **it being spewed out by the government and their lackeys in the meeeegia and still doing funk all about it? answers on the back of postage stamp please.!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

unwyse wrote: »
    Why is this country screwed? i know its been asked before,, but why oh why ,are we ,as a people putting up with the **it being spewed out by the government and their lackeys in the meeeegia and still doing funk all about it? answers on the back of postage stamp please.!!!:mad::mad::mad:

In fairness the people of Ireland have to share alot of the blame also. We accepted crazy inflated prices for food and luxuries. In diificult times we are now looking for discounts in stores such as Aldi and Lidl whereas as in the boom noone cared that they lost a load of their money on crazy over inflated prices. Saving is the "cool" thing to do now whereas "lending" is so last year.

Then theres property, people had this mad goal to get a house no matter what cost, We can blame the developers, politicans, and VI's as much as we want but there was too many thick c**ts out there that accepted these mad prices. I dont care what happens to these people with their 600,00 Euro mortgages thinking its their god right to own these properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

tech2 wrote: »
    In fairness the people of Ireland have to share alot of the blame also. We accepted crazy inflated prices for food and luxuries. In diificult times we are now looking for discounts in stores such as Aldi and Lidl whereas as in the boom noone cared that they lost a load of their money on crazy over inflated prices. Saving is the "cool" thing to do now whereas "lending" is so last year.

Then theres property, people had this mad goal to get a house no matter what cost, We can blame the developers, politicans, and VI's as much as we want but there was too many thick c**ts out there that accepted these mad prices. I dont care what happens to these people with their 600,00 Euro mortgages thinking its their god right to own these properties.

renting was a dirty word , that was our main problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

Before the Rising, the Irish were being screwed by the English. NOW, the Irish are being screwed by the IRISH. Time for change? I think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

unwyse wrote: »
    Why is this country screwed?
    We're not, its just a recession.
    It'll pass, ride it out.
    If you're unemployed then take the opportunity to get a decent qualification and you'll be back on your feet in a year or two.

Irish Bob, Maybe GREED was the main cause, and also the lust for MORE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

AMIIAM wrote: »
    Before the Rising, the Irish were being screwed by the English. NOW, the Irish are being screwed by the IRISH. Time for change? I think so.

We are only getting screwed because we are being allowed to be screwed by our leaders. We need to kick out the elite the same way we kicked out the Brits.

It is our "Leaders" who are screwing us!!

Irish Bob, Maybe GREED was the main cause, and also the lust for MORE.

too much philosophy there , had people simply rented instead of beggaring themselves with debt just so they could own , we wouldnt be in this mess , we would still have the mess that is our over paid and populated public sector but that is easier sorted with the right people in charge

It is our "Leaders" who are screwing us!!

and how did those leaders get to where they are , they have not changed all that much , we just notice it now because the party is over

They assessed the Irish to be a bunch of suckers, looks as though they were right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

irish_bob wrote: »
    and how did those leaders get to where they are , they have not changed all that much , we just notice it now because the party is over

I think that they conned the voters into thinking that they were competent in running the country, but unfortunately the evil truth was revealed.:eek:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think that they conned the voters into thinking that they were competent in running the country, but unfortunately the evil truth was revealed.:eek:

fianna fail bribed the voters and the people were more than willing to take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

tech2 wrote: »

It's time to stop calling these chancers with connections developers. It implies thay had soem type of business sense when it's obvious they hadn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Salvelinus wrote: »
    It's time to stop calling these chancers with connections developers. It implies thay had soem type of business sense when it's obvious they hadn't.

If I had millions in my personal account and no personal liability for my business's loans, I'd be looking at the last decade as an outstanding success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Gurgle wrote: »
    If I had millions in my personal account and no personal liability for my business's loans, I'd be looking at the last decade as an outstanding success.

Many are off to another country and out of this hell hole with a nice little number as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

2 years ago

if you got e50,000, say a bonus, or lotto,

houses were going up in price because buyers thought their was a shortage (yet there was empty houses everywhere.) and banks would give as much money as you liked.

you were safe in the knowledge that if you lost your job (unlikely) you could sell your house and make more then your mortgage.......so with the money you would have gone away for a few days, eat out more, bigger telly, maybe a bit of work done on the house (as that would make the house worth even more :rolleyes: ), new jeep (last one is nearly a year old), some expensive clothes.

this was making money for builders, salesmen, hotel staff, who then would have passed it on to someone else, and everyone was happy,

all someone had to do was put up a sign to wash cars and cars/jeeps would queue up all day

today...

if you got e50,000, say a bonus, or lotto,

now if you loose your job (highly likely) you can't sell your house because no one is going to buy one as they know it will be worth less in a few weeks time

so you would take that 50,000 and put it into paying off any loans, and it stops there, its just gone, so now the hotels and restaurants lay off staff, shop go into liquidation (as they have bigger loans then they are worth too)

and you go home and get the hose and sponge* and wash your dam car yourself :)

* had to mention a sponge ... as everyone it trying to gat back the money they borrowed over the last few years.

Advertisement