Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lets all laugh at Palace!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As much as I hate Warnock, that was robbery of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

It genuinely was a joke of a decision, im just amazed that even when he spoke to his linesman the goal still didnt stand :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Did the Bristol City players who ran over point out that it was a goal? Looks like they did.

Very harsh and bizarre situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

curry-muff wrote: »
    It genuinely was a joke of a decision, im just amazed that even when he spoke to his linesman the goal still didnt stand :rolleyes:
    As Danny Baker said of Clive Owen's disallowed 'stanstion' goal in 1980.......that sort of thing is allowed against Palace ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

:pac:

Yeah i know, but im just thinking about it from a fans perspective, i couldnt really imagine how annoyed i would be if that happened against United, if that happened in the Premiership there would be uproar, i just hope they sort it out for Palace's sake :p

• Advertisement

curry-muff wrote: »
    :pac:

Yeah i know, but im just thinking about it from a fans perspective, i couldnt really imagine how annoyed i would be if that happened against United, if that happened in the Premiership there would be uproar, i just hope they sort it out for Palace's sake :p
    Pedro Mendes anybody? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

This seems easy to fix, electronicly tag the ball, have sensors on the goal line.

Its damn funny, but at the same time makes a mockery of the sport.

Also there is the argument for adopting other sports "3 refs on the pitch" idea (plus linesmen on the goal as well as sidelines), or using replays to decide "questionable" refereeing.

How is the ref allowed to be "the thing" that ruins a game???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

What makes it funnier is Bristol City got a late winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

As it is Neil warnock I approve.

Expect a court case next June.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bigdaddyliamo

Warnock is worth the money every week! Pure daylight robbery and an absolute disgrace from the ref. Expect the court case, but it will be warnock in the dock fof bringing the game into disrepute...lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ha, I love when he says "because it's Neil Warnock, it's funny". You're damn right it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

That's a crazy video! I heard yesterday that it was a ridiculous decision but I didn't realise how ridiculous. Even though it's Neil Warnock, I have to sympathise with him. Surely the linesman/referee must have realised they made a mistake by the players reactions? After the "goal" was scored both sides stopped, and when it was ruled that no goal had been scored, the Palace players understandably went mental.

Although I'd find it hard to accept if it was my team, I'm disappointed that, in the interests of fair play, nobody from the opposition decided to just let Palace run the ball in for a legitimate goal.
    Brien wrote: »
    This seems easy to fix, electronicly tag the ball, have sensors on the goal line.
    It's easy in theory but in practice you could have players deliberately interfering with the sensors or complaining that the ball doesn't move right because of the added weight of the sensors. The sensors would also have to deal with the wide variety of weather conditions that the football season presents.
    Brien wrote:
    How is the ref allowed to be "the thing" that ruins a game???
    The ref is allowed to "ruin the game" as you put it because you have to have a central authority figure to enforce the rules of the game. Otherwise how do you control the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Nothing is ever his fault, he had a 10 point cushion to keep his beloved blunts in the premier****e and blew it. But it was the FA's and West Hams fault. Moaned about weakend teams but convieniently developed selective amnesia about him sending out a team of kids in one game. Never loses a game without it being the ref's fault. He was caught imploring his team to break Gary Kelly's legs when we played them at Bumhole Lane one season. A few years ago one of his teams were down to 8 men having had 3 sent off, he was trying to get his players to feign injury as the game would have to be abandoned if down to 7.

The bloke is an idiot, and whoever thinks he is a good manager should look at his actual record. Blew no end of promotions at the Blunts before they eventualy stumbled in to the Premiership, where he blew a 10 point cushion. Hardly set the footballing world alight at Palace has he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bitter much, Hustler?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I always knew the club would fall apart if clint left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the Neil Warnock hate?

Or Phil Brown for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Disgraceful decision ref will be on "gardening leave" once the review is done feel desperately sorry for Palace but as regards NW couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Karma and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Shouldn't be happening in the modern game tbh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

In all fairness after what happened last year in the Reading-Watford match...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Let's hope they get relegated by 1 point next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Can not believe that , in this day and age its still happening , could you imagine if your team lost the league title by 1 goal to your rivals , all because of a goal not given when clearly it was legit .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'm actually surprised by Warnock there. Controlled enough reaction I felt for him.

A joke though really, understandable somewhat, but how easy it would be to fix. A GAA style umpire on the line is what they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Xavi6 wrote: »

Tnx for the link , Xavi6 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

How incredible errors like this can be made every season and still they don't use more technology in decision making is incredible.

The game is equally delayed by players and managers going crazy at perceived injustices than it ever would be by checking a bloody replay...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Europa league has the 3rd lino behind the goals from this week onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Brien wrote: »

Why bother trying to get a system like that in place and workign when the technology is there already? The camera showed it was in, so use the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

similar thing happened to Mark Hughes when he was at Southampton...maybe it was Blackburn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

For me, its for Phil Browns "Delia Smith" interpretation -

regarding Warnock , when the Blades got relegated he persistently blamed West Ham , for an off-the pitch irregularity, and never took any responsibility for his own part, in losing games on the pitch.
    The brand of football both play , is not how I like my football - though I'd say Warnock would be entertaining company

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Stekelly wrote: »
    Why bother trying to get a system like that in place and workign when the technology is there already? The camera showed it was in, so use the camera.
    Yeah but electronic tags are fancier......

Warnock has been a moaning git ever since he took Notts County into the top division in early 90s. Even back then he used to complain that refs were against him. He continually moans and rants at every small decision. Can remember one game a few years back when Forest beat his Sheffield United side 3-1. He nearly blew a fuse in the post match interview. His team were cheated, etc, called the ref 'a clown on day release from the circus'. Received a fine and a one match ban for his troubles. Maybe refs would give more decisions to his teams if he didn't have such a mouth on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Bad decision.

But why are people, including Warnock, saying that Bristol City should have let Palace score :eek:

No they certainly shouldn't. If that happened to my team, I wouldn't expect it. If it happened FOR my team, I certainly wouldn't score an OG, or tell my team to concede a "soft" goal.

For the record, I'm a fan of Colin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Des wrote: »
    Bad decision.

But why are people, including Warnock, saying that Bristol City should have let Palace score :eek:

No they certainly shouldn't. If that happened to my team, I wouldn't expect it. If it happened FOR my team, I certainly wouldn't score an OG, or tell my team to concede a "soft" goal.

For the record, I'm a fan of Colin.

Personally I am surprised at the uproar with people calling them cheats and saying they should've scored an OG.

When Mendes scored against United a few seasons back I dont recall anybody saying they should've scored OG's or that they were a team of cheats.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

grenache wrote: »
    Pedro Mendes anybody? :pac:

in fairness to the lino, as he was running back, his Man united scarf blew across his face so he couldn't see the ball cross the line. :)

I've never understood it tbh. So every game he loses isn't his or his teams fault, it is always the referee and or a dodgy decision/cheating etc etc.

I've never understood how that makes him any different to Rafa, ferguson, mourinho......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Des wrote:
    But why are people, including Warnock, saying that Bristol City should have let Palace score
    For the same reason Robbie Fowler told the ref that Seaman hadn't fouled him and the same reason Paulo Di Canio grabbed the ball rather than taking a shot - sportsmanship.

According to here the English FA have ruled out a replay. I wouldn't have thought that was an option anyway. The referee has made his decision however wrong it may have been and that's that. If games start getting replayed for disallowed goals then a precedent has been set. We could start seeing games replayed because teams were denied penalties, free kicks etc.

According to here, the Bristol City manager says that the goal was disallowed because of an infringement. Now I could be wrong but if an infringment did take place, why did the ref award a goal kick and not a free kick? I would also have liked the ref to explain what the infringement was. Surely that's his get out of jail card? If, for example, a Palace player was offside then regardless of whether a goal was scored or not, it's a free kick to Bristol City and the game (and life) goes on!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Xavi6 wrote: »
    As much as I hate Warnock, that was robbery of the highest order.
    Karma? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Stekelly wrote: »

the problem with cameras is that it won't always be as clear-cut and blatant as this one was.

also, at lower division games you have less-optimal camera coverage. this will leave officials with a situation where they'll have to stop the the game and spend minutes reviewing footage that will be ultimately inconclusive much of the time.

electronically tagging the ball and goal-line seems a far cheaper, less labour-intensive, less time-consuming, more certain solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Personally I am surprised at the uproar with people calling them cheats and saying they should've scored an OG.

When Mendes scored against United a few seasons back I dont recall anybody saying they should've scored OG's or that they were a team of cheats.:confused:

Wasn't there an event similar to this before where the team put in an OG? Can't remember where exactly it happened.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Wasn't there an event similar to this before where the team put in an OG? Can't remember where exactly it happened.
    You may be thinking of the Forest-Leicester league cup game 2 seasons ago. Forest were leading 2-1 when just before half time Leicester's Irish centre half Clive Clarke collapsed on the pitch. It was serious enough for the game to be abandoned. So in the refixed game, Leicester let Forest keeper Paul Smith run unopposed from the kick off to tap the ball into the net. The goal headstart didn't do Forest much good though, Leicester won 3-2 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Warnock has been a moaning git ever since he took Notts County into the top division in early 90s. Even back then he used to complain that refs were against him. He continually moans and rants at every small decision. Can remember one game a few years back when Forest beat his Sheffield United side 3-1. He nearly blew a fuse in the post match interview. His team were cheated, etc, called the ref 'a clown on day release from the circus'. Received a fine and a one match ban for his troubles. Maybe refs would give more decisions to his teams if he didn't have such a mouth on him.

wasnt "Sir Alex" doing this in the 90s and was often granted the customery ALEX-5 ..... the obligatory extra five minutes of play for Manchester United when they are loosing games.

Yes I'm not a Man Utd fan but he did have an effect on referees - he's much more discrete these days - making pre match suggestions to referees that they offer his players protection (i'm talking about Ronaldo last season for those that dont know - ferguson seemed to always let the referees know that his players will be tackled hard and would need protection from the referee and also expects that the referee would be strong and make the correct decisions - hint hint - give us a free kick/peno)

Not at all bitter before anyone throws out a "Bitter much ?!!!" or some sh1te like that... they have been the best team in the premierleague for a while now..... although I would throw out that they won last year because no other team were strong enough to challenge - the fact that Liverpool got second shows this - they dont have the players to win a title - even this season Spurs have a better squad (Liverpool have some better individuals but spurs have better squad)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

You may be thinking of the Forest-Leicester league cup game 2 seasons ago. Forest were leading 2-1 when just before half time Leicester's Irish centre half Clive Clarke collapsed on the pitch. It was serious enough for the game to be abandoned. So in the refixed game, Leicester let Forest keeper Paul Smith run unopposed from the kick off to tap the ball into the net. The goal headstart didn't do Forest much good though, Leicester won 3-2 :(

That's brilliant, I hadn't seen that before. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RNsXqNiTCM

PCPhoto wrote: »
    wasnt "Sir Alex" doing this in the 90s and was often granted the customery ALEX-5 ..... the obligatory extra five minutes of play for Manchester United when they are loosing games.

Yes I'm not a Man Utd fan but he did have an effect on referees - he's much more discrete these days - making pre match suggestions to referees that they offer his players protection (i'm talking about Ronaldo last season for those that dont know - ferguson seemed to always let the referees know that his players will be tackled hard and would need protection from the referee and also expects that the referee would be strong and make the correct decisions - hint hint - give us a free kick/peno)

Not at all bitter before anyone throws out a "Bitter much ?!!!" or some sh1te like that... they have been the best team in the premierleague for a while now..... although I would throw out that they won last year because no other team were strong enough to challenge - the fact that Liverpool got second shows this - they dont have the players to win a title - even this season Spurs have a better squad (Liverpool have some better individuals but spurs have better squad)
    The fact that United went TEN Years, from 1994 to 2004, without conceding one penalty at Old Trafford in the league, tells you the kind of influence Ferguson has over referees. Its wrong on so many levels. People have every right to be bitter over this. Warnock could never have the same influence over refs, no matter how much viral he spouts. Unlike Ferguson, he doesn't have the backing of the world's biggest club.

Advertisement