Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First page of thesis - what should it be?

Options
  • 16-08-2009 8:41am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm almost ready to email my thesis to the printers.
    Problem is, I don't know how I should start.
    Right now I have acknowledgements at the beginning of the document, but I can't remember what the norm is.
    And I'm in India so I can't check out other peoples'. I've photocopied a few theses and I've been getting style ideas and things from them, but I always started my photocopying on the contents page, isn't there usually something before that?

Also, anyone know about page numbers in MS Word 2007? I see everyone else has roman numerals until the text properly starts, yet I can only get my usual 1,2,3 and they start at the first page.
    Any ideas people??

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I have one more question!!

I'm using footnotes as I'm references manuscripts so its necessary. But my literature review looks funny in footnotes, I feel I need a few Murphy (2002) said.... but I was told not to mix.
    But now my MA style sheet is saying doing the brackets for written texts and footnotes for manuscripts. So does this mean I can mix??
    Sorry for all the questions, I'd ask my supervisor but he takes 7 weeks to respond to an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

For my thesis the first page was the title page giving the name of the work, student number, word count, date and title of program. We were specifically told not to include any acknowledgments.

When I left it into the binders they printed the title page on the actual cover so the first page really will be the table of contents.

Do you have a style guide you could refer to?

After the title page the next page was supposed to be the table of contents.

To get the roman numbers in the introductory pages you need to insert a page break. Do this a the bottom of the intro section, insert page numbers in roman numerals, then go to the main section and reinsert page numbers in 1,2,3 etc.

As for your footnoting not sure if I can help with that. We were told we had to use the Oscola system (I'm doing an LLM). I'm not sure what the norm is for others Master's but I would imagine you couldn't go too wrong with Harvard. Maybe do a quick google to see. I'd def try to avoid mixing styles it's only going to annoy whoever's reading it and it's probably best to avoid that.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 carlow_kid

First page of first chapter is usually -1-, between table of contents and this is roman numerals.

Advertisement