Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballinrobe incident

Options
  • 16-08-2009 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Does anyone know what happened in Ballinrobe last night? There is an area sealed off on the Neale Road when I was going through the town early this morning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

That cow on the loose again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 hilltop

That was a bull.

Looks like it a bit more serious this time. RTE Aertel says there was a stabbing. Third stabbing incident in Mayo in a week.
    http://www.rte.ie/aertel/106-01.html

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The bull stabbed someone now? Things really are escalating. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Never mind Limerick, it looks like Mayo's Ireland's new STAB Central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 hilltop

MarkR wrote: »
    The bull stabbed someone now? Things really are escalating. :(

Nice you can make joke when someone lying in hospiretal injured :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

hilltop wrote: »
    Nice you can make joke when someone lying in hospiretal injured :mad:

:rolleyes: Engrish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Person1

i hear one of them was <snip> from <snip> but have not heard who else was involved

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't post anything you heard, only what you've read in the papers.
    Any statements should have a link to back them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Limerick stab city, Mayo stab county.

I hope the guys are OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Person1

sorry didnt mean to offend. But heard from a reliable source

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Were the guys who attacked local? or where they just in town looking for trouble.

From banshees link
    Gardai in Co Mayo have arrested three men in connection with a series of stabbings and assaults in Ballinrobe over the weekend.
    The arrests were made during a number of searches in Mayo, Sligo and Galway this morning.
    Four men were injured after being attacked in two separate incidents in Ballinrobe in the early hours of Sunday morning.
    One of the victims, a 27-year-old man, was transferred to Beaumont Hospital in Dublin with serious injuries, but is now believed to be in a stable condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

It's a bad couple of weeks for Westport, Kiltimagh and Ballinrobe but something needs to be done about the current knife culture that is out there. Politicians are talking crap about giving the Gardai more powers but they don't really explain what they should be doing to tackle this. This goes back to the home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chocodelight

I know one of the lads that were attacked and believe me they were not looking 4 trouble..its awful the way ya cant even go out in your local town where ya go out nearly every weekend without feeling scared now! im always going out in ballinrobe but this has really scared me now!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The 3 lads are all in court today, just announced there on RTE website. All "related".

I wonder how long they will stay in the country now?

They should be done for attempted murder on that Reddington lad, he had to have emergency surgery in Dublin over these shower!!!

And of course the old free legal aid card produced! Shock horror!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0820/ballinrobe.html

TWO BROTHERS and their cousin appeared in court yesterday on charges linked to an investigation by gardaí into a series of assaults and stabbings in Ballinrobe, Co Mayo.

Brothers Eddie and James Paul Sweeney and their cousin Paddy Sweeney appeared before Judge Conal Gibbons at a vacation sitting of Letterkenny District Court in Co Donegal.

Eddie Sweeney (20), New Street, Ballinrobe and Paddy Sweeney (21), Bog Road, also Ballinrobe, were charged with assaulting John Francis Reddington (27), on August 16th at New Street, Ballinrobe.

James Sweeney (25), Glendallon, Sligo, was charged with assaulting Jonathan O’Malley at Neale Road, Ballinrobe, and causing him harm on the same date. The offences are alleged to have occurred in Ballinrobe.

Judge Gibbons was told that none of the defendants made any reply when charged and were cautioned by arresting gardaí that anything they said could be given in evidence.

All three were remanded in custody to Harristown District Court until today. Judge Gibbons was told they were reserving their position on bail applications until then.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0821/1224253025506.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 newyorkdoll

dec25532 wrote: »
    It's a bad couple of weeks for Westport, Kiltimagh and Ballinrobe but something needs to be done about the current knife culture that is out there. Politicians are talking crap about giving the Gardai more powers but they don't really explain what they should be doing to tackle this. This goes back to the home.

Totally agree with what you have to say here Dec25532. This was reiterated in the Prime Time special last night on the rising Knife Crime in Ireland.

It all goes back to family life and situation. In many cases perpetrators of knife crimes come from low socioeconomic backgrounds and have a difficult family life where problems such as alcoholism. drug abuse, domestic abuse to name but a few prevail.
    However swamping the streets with extra Gardai as is suggested by many politicians in the local area will not solve the problem. If you want to get to the root of the issue more money needs to be invested in front line family services such as social workers, family psychiatrists etc. I'm no expert but its very easy to see that this is the main solution.

However in reality the real problem is that in a month or two this whole issue will have blown over and the politicians who are speaking out about knife crime at the moment will have moved on to another talking point....quite possibly all this NAMA business thats making the headlines. And whilst we move on the whole knife crime issue will be simmering and getting worse and worse and eventually boil over once again. Unfortunately it will take another horrible situation involving innocent people like these four guys before any notice will be taken again.

Hopefully everyone in the Ballinrobe area will keep pressing the issue. Even though I don't live in Ballinrobe town but in the surrounding area I know I will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 1980west

Padraic Nally - our hero, he is the right man who could deal the scum that attached these guys last wekend!

Am in shock by what happened and i know these guys, they would not harm a fly, done for ABH, what a joke why not attempted murder, bring back corporal punishment for these scum of the earth people, hope they lock them up and throw away the key and make an example of them for the rest of the country, there is just to many stabbings, BUT what will happen a while in prison where they are treated like royalty and get menus for what food they want, this country is a joke and the system is all wrong.

Hope all d injured will fully recover and some how get on with their lives, which will never be the same again for them:mad:

Advertisement