Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about reflections in my new 35mm prime

• 16-08-2009 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

I recently got a 35mm AF-S DX lens for my D40 and I went out last night for a few mins to try some nighttime photos.

However I noticed that I had reflections in most of the photos, always above a light source. I have no idea why this is happening, can anyone illuminate me?

3825993340_10fda236c0.jpg
    10 seconds at f/1.8,ISO200

3825191843_ea43faeabe.jpg
    1 second at f/1.8, ISO 200

3825191783_f1af409a00.jpg
    1/8 second at f/1.8, ISO1250

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Was there any filter on the camera? If so I'd say it was that, definitely looks like its from a flat surface of glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Remove UV filter ;)

edit: or call the X-Files people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I did have a UV filter on - good to know it's something that simple.

But why are there reflections at night, and not during the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

dudara wrote: »

UV filter !!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

not that much UV rays emitted by the sun at night !!! (just hope I'm not making an ass of myself but pretty confident that UV light comes from the sun)

Anyway - guessing problem solved.

EDIT: you should try to open the aperture (F-stop) when shooting at night and use a tripod - that way you get a better exposed image.

try F8, F11 and use timer/remote to take pics.....can also be used to get nice light trails from passing traffic.

• Advertisement

It never occurred to me that there would be less UV at night - but when you think about it, without a moon to reflect sunlight and in street lighting, there's not going to be a lot of UV.

Just found this discussion over on Flickr.

I suppose I tend to think of the UV filter as just a piece of protective glass for the lens. So far, I've not thought too hard about the effect that it has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

lens flare from light sources, if you had the sun or other source in shot during day you'd probably get the same I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It never occurred to me that there would be less UV at night

It's like wearing sunglasses at night! Your cameras finding it hard to see through

PCPhoto wrote: »
    EDIT: you should try to open the aperture (F-stop) when shooting at night and use a tripod - that way you get a better exposed image.
    I think all the shots above are at f/1.8 but it's my first time using this lens at night, so I need to familiarise myself with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

PCPhoto wrote: »

try F8, F11 and use timer/remote to take pics.....can also be used to get nice light trails from passing traffic.

I'm very much a beginner and have been trying to get my head around f numbers - but I thought the lower the number the wider the aperture. So f1.8 would be wider than f8?

• Advertisement

You're right - the smaller the f number, the wider the aperture is. So f/1.8 is wider (and letting in more light) than f/8

Tallon wrote: »
    It's like wearing sunglasses at night! Your cameras finding it hard to see through

Not quite :P - I think you're referring to polarising light - which is what sunglasses do when darkening the image (halving the light transference)...and what circular polariser filters do on a camera lens.

UV filters generally do not darken the image whereas a polariser at maximum strength halves the light levels.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Not quite :P - I think you're referring to polarising light - which is what sunglasses do when darkening the image (halving the light transference)...and what circular polariser filters do on a camera lens.

UV filters generally do not darken the image whereas a polariser at maximum strength halves the light levels.

Yes and No. Polaroid sunglasses reduce light intensity by polarising the light - essentially removing any light that is not in the plane of polarisation. They are particularly good for reducing glare. Other types of sunglasses that remove UV light do so by blocking (or reducing) light that has a UV frequency/wavelength usually by means of coatings and thin films on the lens.

The effect is roughly the same to the eye, but the physical mechanism is quite different.

Good info here from posters - thanks everyone for your responses.

Yes - but I was making the point that UV coatings/reduction does not affect light transference levels to any perceptible level. The darkening is a result of polarisation not UV filtering - hence UV filters do not darken the image that a camera "sees".

The only reason why UV filters are needed in the case of non polarised sunglasses is that the darkened plastic/glass of normal glasses only reduce visible light levels and does not block potentially harmful UV light as your retina expands to accommodate for the lower intensity of visible light you are receiving.

Advertisement