Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issues using urinals

• 16-08-2009 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've done a search and didn't see this issue posted. Sorry if it's already there, I didn't find it.

For as long as I remember I just could not use urinals.
    Not in school, not in work, not in pubs, not ever.

Like if I was there on my own I could but as soon as I hear the door open I'd "clam up"
    That can't be good!

Now maybe just maybe after a few drinks I could use a pub urinal but no guarantees.
    Can you imagine how weird it would look if you tried to use a pub urinal when others were there but failed? They'd be wondering what you're doing.
    And the toilet attendants in pubs would be there watching you every time, feck them it's not their business to observe you queing for a cubicle.

As for those cattle troughs!!! Get worried just thinking about them.

It's not an issue of being afraid of being seen, I can shower down the gym or after 5 a side soccer nay bother.
    It doesn't affect my life that much, just annoying more then anything

Tell me I'm not alone :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭maherro

Aww man I used to suffer from stage fright all the time - I still do if the jacks are really crowded like fupping half time in Lansdown or Croker. Ive found that if I think of something like a waterfall or just running water its alot easier. And going through the lyrics of dont go chasing waterfalls in my head! Weird I know but it works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Aye,used to get stage fright when I was younger.Its a fecker,especially if you are on a long journey,cant piss and end up having to hold it for the remainder of the journey.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I think that everyone gets stagefright at some point. I found that when it happens to me in a crowded toilet that simply announcing it loudly to one and all elicits a laugh from others and a relaxation in myself that allows the flow to, ermmm, flow. I know it's not the cure for everyone but it works for me.
    Rest assured OP you are not alone.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

you're definitely not alone, I'd a mate who was really affected by this, but got help through CBT (cognitive behavoural therapy)

have a look here: http://www.shybladder.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i think you can see OP that most of us blokes get a bit of this.

funny though isn't it that you've not noticed anyone else having the problem, so would it make sense to say that probably no-one is noticing it happening to you? In fairness, it's one of those things that when it happens people get stressed about it and really that makes it worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

What an affliction to have. I'm having visions of schooldays being marched to the urinals by a truncheon wielding nun and standing in-line like a condemned prisoner waiting to get shot.

If you roll back the clock gents toilets were quiet horrific unsanitary places reeking of urine and jeyes fluid with all the charm and architectural finesse of a slaughter house.

My first primary school had dry toilets. A step up from a tree and slopping out in Mountjoy.

When the local pub got a makeover and got an inside toilet built on people marvelled at the hand-dryer. Did handwashing catch on locally, God only knows.

Remember Paula Radcliffe in the London City Marathon a few years back and approach the task with pride. Go into training - a few pints and grab a long distance bustrip to Donegal.

Its the only way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Yeah ive got this pretty bad.
    When I turned 18 and began frequenting pubs I forced myself to use the urinal, alas no success. So i use the jax the whole time. But even in the jax ive had difficulty, if someone knocks on the door it puts me off and have to wait a minute :mad:, thinking of waterfalls and concentrating on the sound of the taps outside.

Im a little shocked someone would actually go and get "Help" for this though. Ive just accepted it, no big deal, just means I have to queue longer to take a piss.

I think its called Urinalaphobia but surely there must be some reasons for it?

So what reasons do you have and are they valid and rational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I'm not a fan of urinals either, don't get stage fright or anything but just prefer the privacy of a proper toilet. Also like my tissue :pac:

A Gentlemans Club Beers will probably need portaloos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

OP is it actual stage fright that you're talking about or is it hygiene?You haven't really stated on the opening thread.

All i can say about using urinals is if you're queezy about "splashback", don't wear flip flops into a gents.noticed for the first time while i was on hols how much of it splatters onto your toes - not nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

saw a programme on this on Channel 4 - its a known medical condition called 'paruresis' - as every one else described the proximity of another person or the possibility of another person being near causes the 'stage fright'... suffer from it at times myself...seems to depend on my mood...if i'm anyway anxious it seems to be present but if i'm in a relaxed mood doesn't seem to be as big an issue...of course alcohol helps in removing inhibitions...
    another thing i always wondered about - i wonder is this related in any way to PE or the 'ol premature ejaculation... also at times this makes an appearance for me at times much to my frustration... maybe its any overlying physiological thing...?
    i suppose the best thing is both cases is not to get too hung up about it - worry on top of worry deosn't help at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

have shocking stage fright when using urinals can only use them when im drunk if im sober i could stand there for 20 mins and nothing would happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

The silence when you and your neighbour await your respective flows is a killer! It's a little off topic but a badly designed urinal / trough doesnt help. The Mens in the Radisson in Galway is unbelieveable, there's a marble 'shelf' about 7 inches thick between you and the target zone which is just asking for trouble as your flow rate subsides!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I dislike when some lads break the unwritten one space between you rule unless you absolutely must (gigs, sports games).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭IRISH DAYWALKER

me and my friend are the exact same we usually wait untill the toilet is empty or a cubicle is free its no big deal i know loads of people it happens to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Dont let it build up on car journeys, hit a bump and goodbye bladder control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm a sufferer of this myself but I don't worry about it. If I have to queue for the cubicles then so be it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Will wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of urinals either, don't get stage fright or anything but just prefer the privacy of a proper toilet. Also like my tissue :pac:

This is why I choose the jax over urinal, every time. Shaking just isn't good enough. It just isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

I'd like to add my "name" to the growing list of sufferers! It can be incredibly embarrassing. The worst place for it to happen to me is at music festivals. Standing in the mud at the trough (ever consider that it hasn't been raining but there's mud... only around the urinal trough?) trying to squeeze out a few drops because the last place you want to be is in the portaloos in the mens section of toilets! I get funny looks for it but the thing i do is close my eyes and pretend i'm in a cubicle. Its definitely a proximity thing, though.

• Advertisement

I just wonder if this is an urban thing.

You know -young boys out with there Mum being brought to the Ladies kind of thing rather then a rural right its 2 hours to Ballyhaunis so lads anyone who needs to go do so now and ladies go to the other side of the road behind the bushes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

A few tips I could offer are :
    • look straight ahead, don't glance to either side of you
    • try and get a urinal next to the wall
    • just think of water running or US politics or something... take your mind off of having to do a wee in public (so to speak)

Advertisement