Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hecklers......

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I cant remember the comedian, I seen it on TV a few years ago, but, someone was heckling him, he just turned to him and said "people say, you are what you eat. Well you must have eaten a big fat Cúnt for breakfast"
    Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jesusbuddha

that sucks, hecklers on first time.. my guess is that is bad mc'ing... Were you put on later in the night? If so that is when people are drunker, mc's fault (most likely).

I think 8 mins is too much for a first time. There is a thing in Ireland, the 7min set, that is what you need to aim for after a while, but I think 3-5 mins is enough starting, until you build confidence. At Anseo you can do a 5 min set if you like. I think Peter at Bankers has an open night on Thursdays too, and he would be cool with less time rather than more (I think).

Anyway hecklers or no hecklers, it is important to just keep learning from every set we do.... an kill the hecklers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

that sucks, hecklers on first time.. my guess is that is bad mc'ing... Were you put on later in the night? If so that is when people are drunker, mc's fault (most likely).

I think 8 mins is too much for a first time. There is a thing in Ireland, the 7min set, that is what you need to aim for after a while, but I think 3-5 mins is enough starting, until you build confidence. At Anseo you can do a 5 min set if you like. I think Peter at Bankers has an open night on Thursdays too, and he would be cool with less time rather than more (I think).

Anyway hecklers or no hecklers, it is important to just keep learning from every set we do.... an kill the hecklers

8 minutes was fine. I'd take longer if I could get it. I've been singing and presenting a live music night for a while, it's a completely different thing to comedy (which is MUCH harder!), but I'm used to being on a mic in front of a crowd so it helps. I've done 8 minutes in Anseo, and will be back on Monday 21st, maybe boards.ie's own Jesusbuddha will let me do a little more this time :-) I think if you work on your material you can get 8 minutes to work, even as a beginner. While you're up there it feels like 8 seconds anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Jimmy Carr has the heckling down to an art!!

"oh it's you......your mother told me you were going to be here" and then demonstrates how the hecklers mother explained what was going to happen from the doggy position with jimmy and his entire crew backstage!

I would agree a comedian should be armed with a few killer comebacks but ejection should be the 3rd course of action.

Incidently the guy who attacked Jim Jeffries was Irish. I genuinely do think we are a wittier funnier nation than most. The root of it all is we are unafraid to take the piss out of ourselves as well as others, but there is a minority who believe this is a god given right, ususally the type of Irish you meet abroad who are messy drunk with their arm around some reluctant foreigner telling them how funny and great the Irish before spewing on the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 IanPerth

Anseo is great, and always has a nice ''non heckler''/friendly audience! . . . maybe its the location/clientèle or maybe its the top class MC' Ing ! ! ! :-).

I did a gig last night in the ha'penny & although it went really well & I enjoy the venue ! ... there was a group intent on putting the acts off ! ... One Guy was ''FAKE LAUGHING'' at the wrong time to put acts off, another guy seemed to be coughing on purpose at inappropriate times to amuse his friends.

I did the best I could ! and tried not to show I was too annoyed !

It was an essential learning experience !

Eric Shantz was on straight after me,,, and man did he know how to put those guys in their place! . . . He seems to engage an audience so well that he can make a heckler VERY unpopular VERY quickly ! . . . . a great skill !

You cant learn that stuff in front of the mirror with a remote control in your hand !

• Advertisement
Advertisement