Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age for kittens to wander off?

Options
  • 16-08-2009 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question, is there a general rule as to when its ok for a kitten to wander outside on its own?

Since yesterday my cat has found ways to get up on fences etc and so can now go wandering.
    He's 17 weeks so his ability to climb fences relies on him getting to a slightly elevated area (a small tree) and leaping to the top of the fence from there.
    He's had his shots though I would still be apprehensive about letting him outside of the back garden due to his inexperience with other cats and his inability to scramble up fences etc to get away from anything attacking him or simply get back into our garden area.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

The vet told us that 6 months was the best, unless you supervise. i.e sit out and have a fag while keeping an eye on them

There well able to be out on their own from very early except some cats can be a bit territorial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

I wouldn't be inclined to let him roam out of your garden (i.e. unsupervised) until 6 months. This is the figure that I've always been given, by friends, family and vets. Before that stage they're just so small and inexperienced that it's a huge risk to let them out where other animals / cars can get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Thanks for the info. Like I said he's still unable to scramble up a fence if he wanders into a dogs garden or some such so I would be worried about that aspect. When he managed to get out yesterday he didnt go far and came when he was called but even still if he wanders too far or even off the back wall and into a neighbouring field or housing estate, he may be unable to find his way back.
    Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Six months at a minimum - and he should be neutered first. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Keep him inside, he'll live for longer and be healthier. There are ways to cat proof your garden to keep him in and other cats out.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fencing/info.html

http://www.woodycoon.com/html/cat-proof_fencing.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement