Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whirlpool Washing m/c warranty?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

The problem here is that Whirlpool can set the terms of the warranty to whatever they want. If they want to say first year includes labour and parts and every other year is only for parts then they CAN do that and it is fully legal. The only legal obligation on them is to give what they said they would give in their optional (as in they did not have to offer it) warranty.

If what you want is not covered by the warranty but is your statutory right then you MUST deal with the seller of the item to ensure you can action those rights. The manufacturer does not have to give you the same rights unless the manufacturer is the seller which I presume Whirlpool don't do.

OP: You need to really take this up with the seller here since the contract of sale and 95% of your rights under the sale of goods act is with them. I have a feeling though that you are not the purchaser of the goods thus were not a party to the sales contract. This probably makes things somewhat more awkward but I don't know how it works in that case.

If you are claiming for repair under the warranty then legally you have no other option but to go by the original terms offered by the manufacturer.
    (I think there is a bit of confusion regarding warranties in this thread. The 6 years someone mentioned is just the statuate of limitations which is to do with statutory rights under e.g. the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980. My understanding is a manufacturer does NOT have to give a warranty on their products but if they do then they must honour the terms they gave).

Advertisement