Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo becoming Stab county!?

Options
  • 16-08-2009 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

There have been 6 people stabbed in the last month, (more than Limerick) is Mayo going to become stab county? What is the underlying issue behind all the stabbings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Just caught word of the latest on the radio!
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/four-injured-in-mayo-attacks-422783.html#mon

This is tragic and a worrying development. Is there some kind of copycat knife carrying trend developing here in Mayo? Are there links between the attacks:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I heard from a friend today it was a crowd of undesirable characters from Sligo that were behind the two attacks and that yes it was the same people behind both attacks.

Is it time for the Gov to review the War on Drugs? Are the Guards too afraid of actual criminals? Should the death penalty be brought back?

Some questions that we should address before things get out of control and mayo slips and becomes a gangland county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Michael Ring's comments on radio 1 news yesterday were priceless......the answer to knife crime/stabbings is more gardai and that the government are to blame.....included in this is that closing rural garda stations also had a direct effect on the increased use of knives!!!!!:eek:

Then to top it off, he reckons the Garda that was stabbed in westport (who was a plain clothes/undercover garda attached to the Mayo drugs unit) prevented more people getting stabbed by being knifed himself!!!! You couldn't make this up.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭helpwanted1

finisklin wrote: »
    Michael Ring's comments on radio 1 news yesterday were priceless......the answer to knife crime/stabbings is more gardai and that the government are to blame.....included in this is that closing rural garda stations also had a direct effect on the increased use of knives!!!!!:eek:

The gardai are there to protect innocent citizens and instil peace in our community. I think Michael Ring has a valid point that more gardai numbers would help make controlling minor law infringemnets easier and therefore helping to prevent major crimes from developing. By identifying minor grassroot crime, it obviously limits the likelihood of more dangerous crimes occurring. Closing rural garda stations means todays minor crimes go unnoticed, leading to more serious crime developing.
    finisklin wrote: »
    Then to top it off, he reckons the Garda that was stabbed in westport (who was a plain clothes/undercover garda attached to the Mayo drugs unit) prevented more people getting stabbed by being knifed himself!!!! You couldn't make this up.:confused:

Again you got the wrong end of the stick. I heard the report and he did not make this point. Wish I had the transcript to prove it too you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

There are three groups responsible for said 'stabings' in the last months

1. Travellers
    2. Scumbags
    3. Mentally unstable people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

The gardai are there to protect innocent citizens and instil peace in our community. I think Michael Ring has a valid point that more gardai numbers would help make controlling minor law infringemnets easier and therefore helping to prevent major crimes from developing. By identifying minor grassroot crime, it obviously limits the likelihood of more dangerous crimes occurring. Closing rural garda stations means todays minor crimes go unnoticed, leading to more serious crime developing.

Again you got the wrong end of the stick. I heard the report and he did not make this point. Wish I had the transcript to prove it too you.

Michael Ring was interviewed by Gavin Jennings in relation to knife crime. during the course opf that interview he politicised it by referencing McCarthy's bord snip recommendation to close rural,remote garda stations and also claiming that more gardai on the streets has a direct link on kniofe crime.

When pressed how knife crime can be reduced/stopped by not closing rural garda stations or with more gardai on the street he couldn't answer the question...he danced around it.

Au contraire.......In relation to the knife attack in Westport he clearly stated that the garda stopped the person where he was going with the knife and his presence on the street saved 3-4 other people.

Like I said originally that garda was plain clothes and attached to the Mayo drugs squad in Castlebar. Though he may have been aware of law and order issues that night, it was in relation to drugs that he found himself in a situation where a knife was introduced.

Anyway, I heard the interview clearly and interpreted it correctly. Please follow the link to double check.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0817/news1pm.html

I have the right end of the stick, if only I could use it on those feckers that carry knives!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

The stabbing incident in Westport was unfortunate and drugs squad members should really be wearing stab vests like rank and file members. And particularly so. But back to the main point. The Gardai cannot stop a youngster leaving his home with a kitchen knife concealed on his body and cannot really prevent an incident happening. Like drugs, a lot of the blame is with the parents. Why is their son or daughter leaving home to go to a nightclub armed with a weapon? Are they aware? Are they interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

There have been 6 people stabbed in the last month, (more than Limerick) is Mayo going to become stab county? What is the underlying issue behind all the stabbings?

dude check your statistics

dublin and cork have more stabbings then limerick, its just a name we were labelled with

its an unfortunate situation for any county to experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I think these people should be arrested and dealt with by the relevant authorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

K4t wrote: »
    I think these people should be arrested and dealt with by the relevant authorities.
    Isn't this what usually happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Isn't this what usually happens?

LOL! great joke, thanks

Advertisement