Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

where to start?

• 16-08-2009 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I would really like to learn more about photography but I've no idea where to start! I'd like to learn about lenses, lighting, darkroom developing etc. Any good books or courses out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

I've signed up to do a diploma at Griffiths that goes thru all that - maybe that would be something u'd like..
    http://www.gcd.ie

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I reckon if you let people know what part of the country your in they could give really good specific info!

Other than that I reckon this is your best free tool for learning!

www.google.ie it has linked me to nearly everything i know about photography!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Join your nearest camera club. Somewhere in FAQ there is a list of camera clubs put together by jaqian - you may be able to find one near you. Dublin camera Club run beginners lessons if you are in the Dublin area.

You will also be recommended some books. One popular one here is Understanding Exposure although I think The Photographer's Eye is better. Books by John Hedgecoe are a) worth a look and b) probably in your local library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

Hi,

I would really like to learn more about photography but I've no idea where to start! I'd like to learn about lenses, lighting, darkroom developing etc. Any good books or courses out there?

Checkout Peter Cox. www.petercox.ie I did a landscape photography course for beginners and learned more in two days than i did in a year reading it on the internet.Peter is an excellent teacher and very generous with his knowledge...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Going against everything else in this thread - Can you borrow a camera? A digital SLR, or a film one, by any chance? Friends, family, etc! If so, perfect.

If not, have a scout on Adverts.ie for one second hand gear, along with eBay - Don't bother buying new gear, you'll pick up some great second hand film gear online. Try for an SLR, and if it has some automatic settings, perfect!

Than, go take photographs!! Don't go joining a camera club just yet, or go joining courses - just go out taking photographs, go for a drive or a walk, and take a few. See what you like.

Have a look on websites like flickr.com or pix.ie and see what photographs you like, and what you'd like to emulate... And try. After this, if you still like it, go for a course or a club if that's your thing. Otherwise, just enjoy it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'd definitely second the suggestion to join your local photo club, there's a list here, lso have a look through all the info in the stickies there are some great threads/outside sites linked from there.

Advertisement