Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no medical card and possible cost of bloods

Options
  • 16-08-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if someone does not have a medical card do they have to pay extra for blood tests as well as paying the doctor? I mean a routine series of bloods such as fbc/thyroid function and anything to explain fatifue etc. Do they have to pay the lab?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

Hi,I would just pay my doctor for the letter for the hospital(10 euro),I get the fbc every few months and never had to pay anything more than the 10 euro to my Doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

Does anyone know if someone does not have a medical card do they have to pay extra for blood tests as well as paying the doctor? I mean a routine series of bloods such as fbc/thyroid function and anything to explain fatifue etc. Do they have to pay the lab?

I'm a bit rusty now as I have a medical card and perhaps there is regional variation. But as far as I know taking "normal" bloods does not cost anything if you are willing to do it at the local hospital/similar and your GP requests the tests. But sometimes practices employ a nurse. For example, my mum who doesn't have a medical card can either get tests done in the practice and pay the nurse or she can go to the local hospital where they run a service from 10-midday for free. While the practice won't take my blood - I have to go to the hospital (I have a medical card).

So taking the blood may cost money (if you don't go to the hospital) but the tests itself don't cost anything to the best of my knowledge. People can correct me if I'm wrong.

If you see a test you'd like to get done but your GP isn't interested, or your local hospital's lab doesn't cover it, things get more complicated of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No no it is no extra cost for blood tests, have never ever heard that, my GP does blood tests etc as part of your doc visit, i mean how much more money can they possibly try to get out of you?? Have never heard of being charged!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

No no it is no extra cost for blood tests, have never ever heard that, my GP does blood tests etc as part of your doc visit, i mean how much more money can they possibly try to get out of you?? Have never heard of being charged!
    GPs in our clinic won't take blood except in rare exceptions (if you're very lucky and twist the GPs arm). The whole centre seem very into making money - it's got lots of other staff within the complex (physios, psychologists, etc (all private) as well as doing all sorts of corporate testing) so our place is quite focused on money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Depends on the surgery, in the one I go to it's 5 euro extra charge, it's a charge to take the blood, not for the tests themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Depends on the doctor.
    My GP doesn't do blood tests, they give you a letter for the hospital. There is no charge for that.
    If you are referred for blood tests by a consultant you will have to pay - even if you are getting the bloods done in the public hospital.

Advertisement