Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Much?

• 16-08-2009 2:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I've not seen series 9 and 10 of SG1. Am I missing much in terms of quality, good stories, etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I quite enjoyed these seasons but I know a lot of people had their reservations with significant cast changes and a different story arc (indeed it was, at one point, going to be re-named as "Stargate Command"). I think it's worth following, and there are some class episodes in there ("200" is definitely a must-see for all long-term fans) but I await others to dissent!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for that. I guess some people feel it sort of went into X Files ish territory. I'll have to catch up some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I agree with Ixoy. It would have been very.. alienating, if they had gone ahead and made it Series 3. At the same time its not quite SG-1. Very seperate story arc in its own right, but has merit. Worth watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

Try not to look directly at Ben Browder wherever possible.

If you think of him as RDA #2, you will be severely disappointed. I strongly advise not comparing him to RDA or Beau Bridges to Don S Davis. Because thats what will ruin it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Beau Bridges is the weakest part of both seasons. Take someone who couldn't pull off the role of general if his life depended on it, make him fat and cuddly, with big ol bushy eyebrows, and it's a recipe for worst choice of actor ever.

That, I cannot agree with more unfortunately.

indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Avoid. I thought it was really bad. Beau Brigdes was very poor, made you really miss Don S Davis (RIP). the doctor was VERY annoying. The stunt-casting of Bowder and Black (Oh, hey, let's get the AI chick from that herculese-trek ripoff and those two from that muppet thing. that'll bring back the nerds). The bad guys just did not cut it (Oh, and that space hooker from that buffy guy's space thing). Which is a real pity. Farscape and Firefly are two of my favourite shows and enjoy Bowder and Black's characters in Farscape but I thought they came off annoying in stargate. What was wrong with finishing with Season 8?

Of course that's just my opinion

The bad guys just did not cut it

Baal was the only really good baddie in the last seasons.
    Great acting by Cliff Simon all the way through the show!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The Ben Browder and Beau Bridges stuff is what I'm afraid of. I've seen the odd bit on youtube and clips and :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Gareth-W-A wrote: »
    Baal was the only really good baddie in the last seasons.
    Great acting by Cliff Simon all the way through the show!
    Yeah, he was good but it was if they didn't know what to do with him. he just seemed to hang around a lot. and the ori? Gimme a break. I thought they were pretty poor with no real focus. I must admit, I did like the 200th episode
    Esp the Farscape homage
    but I thought the episode
    with all the alternate teams converging
    was a waste of a potentially great episode
    What a waste to bring back Janet and Martooth for such a run-of-the-mill episode

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I enjoyed Ben Browder's character - no he's not O'Neill, or as enjoyable as Sheppard, but he's decent enough. A little dull at times but never annoying.

Landry (Beau Bridges) on the other hand isn't even good enough to wash Hammond's jock strap.

ixoy wrote: »
    I enjoyed Ben Browder's character - no he's not O'Neill, or as enjoyable as Sheppard, but he's decent enough. A little dull at times but never annoying.
    He gives me so many Z's, i never win at scrabble!
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

You should see them, though you probably won't be impressed.

Advertisement