Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Jet

• 16-08-2009 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭

As it appears the Samsung Jet is going to be a popular phone I'd thought I'd start a thread for everyone who buys it to post their comments and hopefully very few, future issues.

Although the following vid is the gangster movie of all phone launches, I felt it apt that it started off the thread .. the opening bit is gas :D

Demo Part 1

Demo Part 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

They are no Steve Jobs!:D He's got competition on his hands though. Is this The first real iphone beater??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Firefox10 wrote: »
    Is this The first real iphone beater??

I don't care about it being as good as the iPhone - I'm just happy there is a decent phone out that will allow FM Radio Recordings ..

.. as I don't wish to break any laws downloading MP3s from the net when instead I can just get my phone to get em off the radio instead :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Nico22 wrote: »
    I don't care about it being as good as the iPhone - I'm just happy there is a decent phone out that will allow FM Radio Recordings ..

.. as I don't wish to break any laws downloading MP3s from the net when instead I can just get my phone to get em off the radio instead :D

My ears won't tollerate FM audio quality. Watch Youtube music videos and save the stream. :rolleyes:

cnocbui wrote: »
    My ears won't tollerate FM audio quality. Watch Youtube music videos and save the stream. :rolleyes:

FM Audio quality can be excellent depending on the phone. On my Samsung G600 you can hardly tell the difference between the Fm Radio and an MP3.

If you get a cheap crap phone then it's going to sound hollow like analouge AM or something.

FM Audio quality can be excellent depending on the phone. On my Samsung G600 you can hardly tell the difference between the Fm Radio and an MP3.

If you get a cheap crap phone then it's going to sound hollow like analouge AM or something.

Just seen that Vodafone have a great offer on this phone at the moment.

€189 for the phone on Perfect Choice 50 (€19 per month) .. not bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Very disappointed with the pay as you go price of this on 3. It can be bought sim free for the same money from play.com, €389.

bluesfan wrote: »
    Very disappointed with the pay as you go price of this on 3. It can be bought sim free for the same money from play.com, €389.

Amazon.co.uk have it for around €345 delivered ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Ebay seem to have it for around 300euro

Ebay seem to have it for around 300euro

315 was the cheapest BuyItNow but P&P was 14 .. so 340 for a phone like this off Ebay I wouldn't pay.

Any problems and it's a nightmare getting it fixed. Had a few problems with buying phones from Ebay. BuyandSell.ie I would buy from but only if they had a reciept.

It's worth taking the risk on cheaper phones but no way on the more expensive ones.

Your idea of excellent, is not the same as mine. If you can hardly hear the difference between FM and a good MP3, something is really wrong, since a decent bit rate MP3 is indistinguishable from CD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

well heres one for £270 including shipping

If youre not comfortable buying on Ebay then you're not comfortable. But it is the cheapest place to buy it sim free

Your idea of excellent, is not the same as mine. If you can hardly hear the difference between FM and a good MP3, something is really wrong, since a decent bit rate MP3 is indistinguishable from CD.

So you have never got into a car that had an excellent stereo system and not known (without looking at the display) whether it was the FM radio or a CD playing?

If you pop into ICE in Ranelagh and get a demo of any of their mid-range kits you'll see just how good FM Stereo can sound.

That's €315 and it's from China .. I'm worried enough about buying from the UK and maybe having to ask the MPRC to fix it based on a european warranty :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

So you have never got into a car that had an excellent stereo system and not known (without looking at the display) whether it was the FM radio or a CD playing?

If you pop into ICE in Ranelagh and get a demo of any of their mid-range kits you'll see just how good FM Stereo can sound.

On a handset, with decent ear/headphones, the difference between different sound sources, e.g. FM radio and digital file formats, mp3, wav, OGG, etc, is more easily discernible than in an open environment like in a car or sitting room.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    On a handset, with decent ear/headphones, the difference between different sound sources, e.g. FM radio and digital file formats, mp3, wav, OGG, etc, is more easily discernible than in an open environment like in a car or sitting room.

Well in my experience, it all depends on the quality of the radio. I find high-end Sony mobiles have cracking radios and their earphones also seem to far superior than Nokia or Samsung ..

However, the only Sony phone I am aware of that has FM Recording as a feature is the Sony T303 .. not a great phone.

Wish they would add this feature to their top range of phones.

Well in my experience, in all depends on the quality of the radio. I find high-end Sony mobiles have cracking radios and their earphones also seem to far superior than Nokia or Samsung ..

However, the only Sony phone I am aware of that has FM Recording as a feature is the Sony T303 .. not a great phone.

Wish they would add this feature to their top range of phones.

I'm sure you're aware why they won't allow that feature in future; hint, it rhymes with biracy. :p

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I'm sure you're aware why they won't allow that feature in future; hint, it rhymes with biracy. :p

Exactly and the Sony T303 only having 10mb internal memory & no memory card slot might have something to do with them only allowing it in that phone ..

Samsung Jet has it though .. and you can set the recording quality of the resulting MP3 also :)

Exactly and the Sony T303 only having 10mb internal memory & no memory card slot might have something to do with them only allowing it in that phone ..

Samsung Jet has it though .. and you can set the recording quality of the resulting MP3 also :)

I'm not surprised by Samsung offering a feature like that on their handsets, as they're an innovative company; other companies should take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

This has gone way down in price on vodafone pay monthly,it was like 189.99 to buy on friday when i checked and today its ony 109.99. :confused: Why would they reduce it like that when im sure its still like 200 in the vodafone shops

*edit* ok someone needs to tell me how vodafones pricing works because it says "pay monthly new connections" on the page,its not a new connection,all im doing is getting an upgrade,does that mean the phone is dearer or what? Heres the link to what im looking at http://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml?handsetselected=329038&offerSelected=postpaidnew&action=view

rejkin wrote: »
    *edit* ok someone needs to tell me how vodafones pricing works because it says "pay monthly new connections" on the page,its not a new connection,all im doing is getting an upgrade,does that mean the phone is dearer or what? Heres the link to what im looking at http://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml?handsetselected=329038&offerSelected=postpaidnew&action=view

From what I can tell, you'll need to login before it will show the upgrade price. At the moment, it simply shows what the price is if you're planning on signing up as a brand new customer.

• Advertisement

This has gone way down in price on vodafone pay monthly,it was like 189.99 to buy on friday when i checked and today its ony 109.99. :confused: Why would they reduce it like that when im sure its still like 200 in the vodafone shops

I don't know .. but €109.99 is a bargain .. and the €229 odd (€19.08 x12) added on only makes €340 .. that's not bad at all considering your getting all that credit too .. hhmmmm .. very tempting.

I was doing my own custom ICE installs back in the mid 80's before there even were CD's. We had these funny things called cassette tapes, and even back then they produced superior sound quality to what you could get off FM radio.

FM radio is limited to 30hz - 15khz. A good Nakamichi tape deck could give you 20hz - 22khz and wouldn't require the music to be compressed the way it is with most FM radio transmissions.

FM radio sound quality is better than AM, that is about the only good thing you can say about it. It can't compare to even audio tape, let alone CD or or other digital formats.

You could confuse FM with CD in a car if the source music was of bad enough quality, granted, but with good material - no way.

This has gotten way OT, I'll shut up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 metalmessiah88

the samsung jet just dropped price on vodafone contract today down to €79 on the pc 200 €49 per month

FM radio is limited to 30hz - 15khz. A good Nakamichi tape deck could give you 20hz - 22khz and wouldn't require the music to be compressed the way it is with most FM radio transmissions.

.. and what's MP3 compressed to?
    You could confuse FM with CD in a car if the source music was of bad enough quality, granted, but with good material - no way.

Well I just don't see how anyone could say their ears couldn't 'tolerate' FM radio. I'm not suggesting it's better but it can be damn good. I'd rather listen to the FM Stereo on a good system than an MP3 on a bad one.

I find that the better the tuner and antenna / aerial the better the quality of sound.
    This has gotten way OT, I'll shut up now.

Slighty OT but I'm still hoping to get the Jet for the specific purpose of recording FM radio while I'm out and about and if I get it I shall post a link to an MP3 recording that I make with it ..

So far the best quality MP3 recording I made with a phone was with a Samsung Ultra Touch .. cracking phone but the screen is far too narrow to be used as a touch screen I think. The Jet's screen looks about 50% bigger.

.. and what's MP3 compressed to?

FM compression and MP3 compression are not comparable. MP3 compression works by discarding quieter sounds which are being masked by louder sounds and are therefore effectively inaudible.
    FM = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

Found a thread started on the main vodafone site about updating the firmware,apparently vodafone have not got around to upgrading the firmware on the phone and is 2 generations away from the latest firmware which fixes a lot of bugs in the phone.

The following links have the latest firmware but you need to flash the phone first which voids the warranty on the phone so dont do this if you want the warranty.

http://darkforestgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=298.msg2321 - firmware

http://darkforestgroup.com/blog/?p=102 - flash guide

Im sure vodafone will get around to updating the firmware but I though id put this up as an alternative incase it doesnt get fixed.

Found a thread started on the main vodafone site about updating the firmware,apparently vodafone have not got around to upgrading the firmware on the phone and is 2 generations away from the latest firmware which fixes a lot of bugs in the phone.

I was going to get one next week from them. What kind of bugs?

Have you got a link to the thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

So far the best quality MP3 recording I made with a phone was with a Samsung Ultra Touch .. cracking phone but the screen is far too narrow to be used as a touch screen I think. The Jet's screen looks about 50% bigger.

I have an Ultra, it records at 64kbps.. unless you increase that? I don't use the radio on it.

I was going to get one next week from them. What kind of bugs?

Have you got a link to the thread?

https://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/531-samsung-jet-firmware/

I doubt its major bugs,couldnt seem to find what it fixes but i say its just updates to make the phone run smoother

*edit*

Heres one blog about the firmware explaining about it
    http://darkforestgroup.com/blog/?p=346
    looks like the major update is the volume on the phone is apparently not great and the firmware fixes this.

• Advertisement

JustinOval wrote: »
    I have an Ultra, it records at 64kbps.. unless you increase that? I don't use the radio on it.

Yeah, you can increase that by selecting 'High Quality Recordings' in radio settings.

I had an Ultra Touch but it did my head in. The screen is so narrow and I'd get a text message and it would take two or three taps on the 'message widget' to get it to open ..

Advertisement