Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Jet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

MIne is sim free which might explain why most things work well.

I recently found out that not only does the Jet have a proximity sensor like the iPhone, it also has a compass like the iPhone as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Thanks for the info lads, I wasn't planning on buying any branded one anyway, got the G900 from Hong Kong, eBay ftw.

cnocbui does the unlocked one have the same slowness with media browsing strecker mentioned? I have about 730 tracks (4GB card) on my G900 but hope to get an 8GB card if I get the Jet.
    How do the firmware updates effect these problems?

The media browser doesn't have a search but it does have access via Artist, playlists, recently played, most played, recently added, podcasts, genres, composers and of course track title.

My 15gb iPod classic doesn't have a search function either but it has never caused me a problem. Playlists if used intelligently would cut down on most need to search and rather than scroll through 1000 tracks by title, going via artist would get you where you want quickly enough. They probably should have copied the rapid alphabet index slider from the phone book which would have made it a doddle, but they didn't

The latest firmware available apparently improves the phone hugely, touch, speed, browser, DNLA WiFi, easy install Java - lots of things. I don't have it personally but I sure want it.

Details here: http://darkforestgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=1224.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Right...
    Cnocbul has some good points.
    I have to admit that the issues I am having have kind of taken the fun out of using the phone. And again, it's mostly an issue with Vf's firmware,

So don't take my complaints too seriously. I'm well aware from other forums, that many Jets are quite alright. And as I pointed out even in the Vf forum here: the Jet has a lot going for it.

that is why I'm not just selling it or throwing it through a Vf window LOL...once the issue is sufficiently 'escalated' with Vf - and trust me, it will be - I will flash fw, to experience a real Jet.

Sorry for the nagging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dantelle

Is anyone having problems with their WIFI?

I have connected successfully to my home broadband via WIFI on the Jet - but when I go to browse (say Google.com or Facebook) a message appears after a short time attempting to connect saying "Service unavailable"..

The message then suggests "O2 Ireland (Browsing) - Try again?". When I select "Yes" the phone connects to the requested site via the O2 3G connection, not WIFI.

I really don't know what the problem is. I have gone online via WIFI before on the same phone (when up north) but it doesn't seem to want to do it here!

Can anyone help?

• Advertisement

The Jet's handling of WiFi is it's worst feature.

You need to create a connection profile for your home Wifi - which it sounds like you have done.

However, even if you have a nice WiFi connection up and running, the applications on the Jet that use IP traffic will not automatically use the WiFi connection, you have to manually configure them so that they will use it.

It sounds as if your browser may be configured to access the Net using 3G.

To set the built in Dolphin browser to use your WiFi connection: From the main menu.... Internet->Settings->Browser profiles->the profile for your WiFi router.

The same has to be done for email, Java Apps (Games and more) and Communities.

thanks cnocbui...

i've set the dolphin browser to wifi as you've suggested and now the error message reads "service unavailable - *home broadband name* - try again?"..

so it now attempts to access wifi via the home broadband thanks to your suggestion - but i'm still told service is unavailable.. am i missing something?

thanks for yoru help!

Using the WiFi application, can you connect to your wifi so that it says explicitly that you are connected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

rizzee wrote: »

Nice one .. have you flashed it yet?

• Advertisement

I don't have a Jet mate - I kept an eye out and saw that, so I said i'd keep you lot updated ;)

I don't have a Jet mate - I kept an eye out and saw that, so I said i'd keep you lot updated ;)

Good man yerself? :D

I'm still waiting for my third replacement.

:pac:, thats whats been putting me off the Jet, all this leaking screen stuff. Think i'll stick to getting a Hero ;)

cnocbui wrote: »
    Using the WiFi application, can you connect to your wifi so that it says explicitly that you are connected?

Yea the WiFi explicitly says it is connected to the home broadband.

I've adjusted the Internet Browser settings as suggested yet when I attempt to log onto a site when the WiFi is connected I get an error message stating "Service unavailable - *home broadband name* - Try again?"

Maybe a trip to the O2 Shop is the best bet? Any other suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks!

That firmware update is not new either. It's been out for around a month at this stage ! 3 weeks possibly...

Considering GSMArena says FW update now available and posted it on the 22nd November, somehow I think your wrong mate. I know the one your thinking off and your correct, it was 3/4 weeks ago. This is a newer one again :)

Is it available yet? Might be limited to certain countries etc. for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

Considering GSMArena says FW update now available and posted it on the 22nd November, somehow I think your wrong mate. I know the one your thinking off and your correct, it was 3/4 weeks ago. This is a newer one again :)

Is it available yet? Might be limited to certain countries etc. for the time being.

I got this firmware update about 3 weeks ago off darkforest, great guide for flashing phone worked a treat .
    Its the same 1 you seem so sure is new cos GSMarena claim it as new , it was reported on this thread weeks ago mate....

http://darkforestgroup.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=q82859sadt7jq3gtbc3hg0q655&topic=1398.0

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

hey darkmark,
    how is the update, can you report on any changes that haven't already been mentioned... is it worth doing?

On a different note, for GPS software i've been trying out 'nav4all', its a free download. It works quite well i've found but you do need to have a data connection. Menu's are a bit confusing but generally has pretty good maps and addresses.

I asked the guy in Meteor shop today about removing the 'Meteor : Apprentice' branding. And he says you can't!! :eek: Jasus what were they thinking! Looks like the warrenty breaking firmware upgrade is my only option...

DarkMark, did you have to get your phone unlocked before performing the upgrade?

Paulj wrote: »
    hey darkmark,
    how is the update, can you report on any changes that haven't already been mentioned... is it worth doing?

On a different note, for GPS software i've been trying out 'nav4all', its a free download. It works quite well i've found but you do need to have a data connection. Menu's are a bit confusing but generally has pretty good maps and addresses.

I asked the guy in Meteor shop today about removing the 'Meteor : Apprentice' branding. And he says you can't!! :eek: Jasus what were they thinking! Looks like the warrenty breaking firmware upgrade is my only option...

DarkMark, did you have to get your phone unlocked before performing the upgrade?

Hey Paul,
    first thing i did was get the phone unlocked it only cost 20 yo yo,
    it was recommended on the darkforestgroup forum before doing the upgrade flash, the guide is very simple and easy to follow with all necessary links included.
    I noticed a vast improvement on touch screen response and possessor speed and you can now move the main menu icons around the home screen which is handy .The music player is also much improved ,overall i am very pleased with the upgrade. I also read on darkforest that your warranty will be unaffected because all the firmware upgrades come from Samsung . :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

darkmark79 wrote: »
    I also read on darkforest that your warranty will be unaffected because all the firmware upgrades come from Samsung . :D:D:D
    Sorry, but that sounds good but is wrong! Meteor's warranty covers their product with their software. The branded fw is all they care about and all they cover. If you buy a windows vista pc on offer and you put on windows 7 from bit torrent, your warranty's dead in the water even though both are from Microshaft!

I'm not swearing on anyone's mother here, but I think you wanna double check that if the warranty means so much to you (which incidentally and imho it shouldn't - coz generally the networks are useless if anything goes really wrong. But that's just me...)

• Advertisement

No, you're wrong I'm afraid.

Just a quick update. I got my Jet unlocked yesterday and performed the firmware update. I have to agree with DarkMark on the improvements:
    -touch screen much better, especially in java applets such as nav4all and for flicking through the main menu
    -got rid of the horrible meteor branding
    -media player is nicer now
    -better media browser

Cost me 25euro to get it unlocked (MobileDocter on Parnell Street if you're in dublin) but afterwards i discovered cheaper places doing it for 15e down around Moore Street.
    The upgrade process was pretty straight forward if you follow the instructions from the link posted earlier exactly.

Regarding the warranty: are we not still covered by Samsung even if Meteor won't cover us?

Paulj wrote: »
    Just a quick update. I got my Jet unlocked yesterday and performed the firmware update. I have to agree with DarkMark on the improvements:
    -touch screen much better, especially in java applets such as nav4all and for flicking through the main menu
    -got rid of the horrible meteor branding
    -media player is nicer now
    -better media browser

Cost me 25euro to get it unlocked (MobileDocter on Parnell Street if you're in dublin) but afterwards i discovered cheaper places doing it for 15e down around Moore Street.
    The upgrade process was pretty straight forward if you follow the instructions from the link posted earlier exactly.

Regarding the warranty: are we not still covered by Samsung even if Meteor won't cover us?

Hi Paul ,
    Just to let you know as far as i am aware Samsung will still cover the warranty if you send it back to them. I read it some where on darkforest site , you can search there if you want to confirm for yourself.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RodVelvet

Everytime I get a call lately it shows up unknown on the phone display so I havn't a clue who it is. If I go into call log, the number and contact name show up. It's not my sim as it works in my 6300. Any idea is there a setting i'm after changing in the phone or is it a fault with the Jet?

New firmware out guys:

http://darkforestgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=1790.0

Firmware version: S8000XEIK1

Note: I've yet to upgrade but will later. Phone meant to just be smoother again really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 revie

RodVelvet wrote: »
    Everytime I get a call lately it shows up unknown on the phone display so I havn't a clue who it is. If I go into call log, the number and contact name show up. It's not my sim as it works in my 6300. Any idea is there a setting i'm after changing in the phone or is it a fault with the Jet?

Your caller information is turned off

go to Settings> Phone settings> Caller information> Show or Hide

Every time l swich my phone on l have to change the camera memory from phone to memory card

anyone else have this problem

Has anyone tried the UPnP program called 'Connected Home'? I don't think it came with my original firmware from Meteor but it is present in the newer firmware i upgraded to. The app works quite well with Windows 7 allowing me to stream my videos/music/photos from the phone directly to Windows Media Player on the laptop. Or, alternatively i can use the phone to remotely play files that are on the laptop and have them displayed on the laptop (ie. the phone acts as a remote control).

I dont think it's possible to have the phone act as a display device for UPnP (ie. stream files from laptop to the phone).

I've tried doing similar between the phone and my Xbox360 but i've a feeling Microsoft have some restriction in there preventing that. The Xbox can't see the phone at all.

Anyone know if l get my Samsung Jet Unlocked and Flashed will it remove the Apprentice screensaver

• Advertisement

revie wrote: »
    Anyone know if l get my Samsung Jet Unlocked and Flashed will it remove the Apprentice screensaver

Yup, it'll be gone.

Advertisement