Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Jet

15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 revie

Cheers OutlawPete!

Does the jet have skype built in

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mass

revie wrote: »

No, and there is still not a compatible version available for the Jet from Skype. A java based version can be installed that gives the chat option (but not calls) but is also incompatible with the touchscreen, so awkward scroll and button movements are required to navigate.

cheers, reason l ask is, l installed skype on my pc last night and was able to call my mobile from it, can l ring any phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Hello Jetters!
    New Jet owner here, seems cool so far, got it connected to wifi and all that but having troubele setting up Gmail through IMAP, using these settings:
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78799

The Gmail app from Google works fine but with my last phone I liked to schedule a download every few hours but the app doesn't do that.

Every time I try to download, I get a "Login failed" message and I'm sure my details are correct, I have @gmail.com added to both email and login fields, any help?

Sometimes I get the following errors too:
    "Security alert:
    Invalid server certificate
    ..."
    and then
    "Connection failed"

• Advertisement

Anyone know where you can get the latest firmware update for the jet in the city centre

^ No idea, you don't want to download it and do it yourself for free?
    http://darkforestgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=752.0

Never mind my Gmail question, using Exchange Sync instead, stupid IMAP thing won't work for anyone with a Jet it seems:
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=19264bafeb3cd52e&hl=en

Anyone know what the difference between Phone and PIN lock are?
    SIM lock activates when you change the SIM card.
    Phone lock is always on the phone?
    PIN lock is for the SIM card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

That reflashing is fairly straightforward actually. Delighted to get rid of the unchangeable screensaver!

yes got mine flashed too, no more apprentice, thank god!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Anyone know where you can get the latest firmware update for the jet in the city centre

I got mine done at Mobile Doctor across from McDonalds on Parnell Street. It cost 25euro. Worked fine. Took him about an hour to do.

• Advertisement

I just flashed mine myself to the latest firmware released on Thursday (S800MXEJA1), it was pretty simple.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    I just flashed mine myself to the latest firmware released on Thursday (S800MXEJA1), it was pretty simple.

where was the latest firmware released?

DarkForest forum (link above), you'll have to join up or here's the direct link assuming you know how to use Multiloader and stuff:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/220227189/a22e1da2/S800MXEJA1.html

Any differences with the new firmware?

Minor bugfixes I think, but I was upgrading from an ooold firmware, this is from the thread but not sure if all the fixes are listed:

"some fixes with simcard service menu
    changed buttons layout during call, so that u will not press mute button accidentally.
    Software version is the same as IK1 firmware."

Another guy:
    "* Internet browser shows improvement(Eventhough its the same version). Opening page is faster than using the previous firmware.
    * Sound quality improve. Using the original Samsung earpiece, i can here better sound quality especially using the 5.1 channel sound.
    * I don't ever get the "Memory full. Close some applications" error.
    * My phone lags when opening so much application on previous version. When opening the Internet(with 2 to 3 pages open) and Media Browser, shows slower processing. After a few minutes, it will show "Memory Full. Close some application" error. I have not, so far experience any lag on the latest firmware. Im sure i will. but its been 1 week though.
    * Viewing photos is the same.
    * I dont know about the sim menu (Havent check it out) but i guess it fixes bugs when adding contacts @ sim. Theres also the changes in the calling menu.
    * Battery life improves slightly i guess. Im using Exchange ActiveSync 24 hrs (since using the latest firmware) where it pushes email 24 hrs. Now i now using Exchange ActiveSync eats out my battery life. But as far as i can tell, i can use this for one day++. So if i were to say that im not using Exchange ActiveSync, my battery would probably last for 2 days. But dats just a guess. havent try it out. And i know also that the Asian Samsung has a problem with the battery."

I've noticed a bug in mine where the Dolphin browser brightness stays stuck at level 3, no biggie though, what I dislike is it automatically goes to mobile versions of sites and there's no way of viewing the full versions sometimes.

Also, a lot of my album art isn't showing in the Media Player for some reason, some are and some aren't, do they have to be a certain size/dimension of .jpg does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Do you think that firmware updates will ever be offered officially by Samsung or Vodafone, they seem to have been around a long time at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

I've just been reading through this thread and I got to about page 11, then skipped to the end, basically I'm looking for a second phone (starting a business) and I already have a business orientated phone, so was looking for something like this to make my first phone (can't afford a Nexus One :( ) from what I've read, its a mixed bag!

I am basically looking for something that I can use to (apart from calls and texts) check my FB and Gmail. E-Mail is important as I use it an awful lot, so need it to be reliable. I need the WiFi as I often go to WiFi spots (cafe's, friends house etc and its much cheaper than caining the 3G)

I was thinking about the Samsung M1, but no WiFi, then thought about the H1, but then came across the Jet, which is a nice small size. its similar to the HTC Touch Diamond which I had, but broke, so I know how the phone will feel in the had. I think since this thread was started the phone has dropped to less than €170 on ebay, sim free.

So would you recommend it, would it suit my needs. And since its release, has the firmware been updated much? Flashing is not a problem, I used cooked ROMs the whole time with the Diamond, so if this is on option on the Jet, all the better! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Jet is a great phone, let down by some stupid operational issues relating to the OS, and lack of support by Samsung. However, It will do all you are after.

There have been a few firmware revisions, but you need to either send the phone to the Uk to have Samsung apply them or you have to DIY voiding your warranty.

For info on DIY and the firmware changes, best you have a look at the relevant threads on this site: http://darkforestgroup.com/forum/

The worst issue with the Jet OS, I find, is having to manually switch each tcpip using App between network profiles such as when you go from 3G to WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Thanks for that. I think I'm convinced to get one.

Dunno if I care about warranty, might try and get it cheap on ebay, but if I do get it new then I might not go at the firmware so hack handed :D

I will check that website out and see what it says.

Would like to get hands on with one though? Do you know where sells them? Don't think i seen them in Vodafone store, can't remember if 02 have em? Might check carphonewarehouse.

Thanks.

DanGlee wrote: »
    I am basically looking for something that I can use to (apart from calls and texts) check my FB and Gmail. E-Mail is important as I use it an awful lot, so need it to be reliable. I need the WiFi as I often go to WiFi spots (cafe's, friends house etc and its much cheaper than caining the 3G)
    You can have push Gmail on the Exchange ActiveSync app or Googles own Gmail app works on it great too.
    And although I haven't used it, it has a Facebook widget and supports uploading pictures directly after taking pics.
    The Wifi connection is good however if you're using a lot of different APs you have to manually set your apps to use the different connections in settings, minor niggle but it won't try and connect to the AP you're nearest to, if you used your home AP last that's the one it'll try and connect to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

You could install nimbuzz and use nimbuzz to call your Skype contacts

Advertisement