Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Jet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

rejkin wrote: »
    https://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/531-samsung-jet-firmware/

I doubt its major bugs,couldnt seem to find what it fixes but i say its just updates to make the phone run smoother

Seen a new place opening on Moore St that has a big sign saying 'Firmware Updates & Unlocking' ..

You'd be so pee'd off though if something went wrong and Vodafone said shag off cause you got the phone flashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Nico22 wrote: »
    Seen a new place opening on Moore St that has a big sign saying 'Firmware Updates & Unlocking' ..

You'd be so pee'd off though if something went wrong and Vodafone said shag off cause you got the phone flashed.

yeah it would be quite annoying,though i wonder what that store does because i doubt they can update the phone without flashing it.

Like I dont mind waiting for the updates from vodafone but if theyre going to drag their heels then ill flash it.

yeah it would be quite annoying,though i wonder what that store does because i doubt they can update the phone without flashing it.

Like I dont mind waiting for the updates from vodafone but if theyre going to drag their heels then ill flash it.

I think are just those unlock guys who now see a market for firmware upgrades / flashing ..

I'm sure lots of people everyday are asking them down there can they update their firmware or debrand their phone etc

I know I have :D

Got mine today, does anyone know how long i should charge it for before i use it? Its being charged through the wall socket,not through the computer

Got mine today, does anyone know how long i should charge it for before i use it? Its being charged through the wall socket,not through the computer

God don't charge with the wall socket!! You'll blow the circuit fly chip than runs the new cpu :eek:

Only kidding, i'd just charge as usual .. I always plug it in straight away and just play with it plugged in for a day ..

So jealous - getting mine Thursday fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

:D haha yeah i only said from the socket cause i thought if i didnt then someone might say it takes 4 hours to charge but they charged it through the usb which takes much longer than through ac....anyway lol yeah im gonna try it out now

Just got it .. :D:D:D:D

Love it already .. any questions just post 'em and I'll be happy to answer them.

If anyone wants to know the answer to a question that I think you should know the answer to but I am not willing to post then PM me :D

Nico22 wrote: »
    If anyone wants to know the answer to a question that I think you should know the answer to but I am not willing to post then PM me :D

Was reluctant to say but sure shag it.

I bought this phone online from the above link for that €109 mentioned. Had planned to get it unlocked for €25 but I don't need to spend that €25 as it goes as the phones does not seem to be all that 'loyal' to where it came from .. nudge nudge ;);) ..

Let's say no more about it in the thread though if that's okay as a discussion on the subjest and it will quickly no longer be the case for others. PM if you want any more info ..

Anyway, just spent the last half hour trying to find the radio, wifi settings, games etc .. was fuming, reading the manual etc and nothing. Then the penny dropped .. the Menu has three screens, you need to slide them across the bugg*rs :D

Would appreciate some help setting up YouTube on it though .. I can connect and see the vids and the web is grand but when I click a vid it say's Connecting .. and then stops & says Try Again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

So you bought a phone on contract with Vodafone even though you're not going to use the monthly minutes and texts allowance. You're going to use your other sim card, presumably O2 or Meteor.

And you dont want to talk about the fact that it wasn't locked to vodafone when you purchased it?

You confuse me...

So you bought a phone on contract with Vodafone even though you're not going to use the monthly minutes and texts allowance. You're going to use your other sim card, presumably O2 or Meteor.

Some people :rolleyes:

How do you know what I am going to do? You think your so clever. I don't know why I'm bothering to explain myself here, but ..

I have ported my sim to Vodaphone and will be using my monthly minutes (and then some) - why wouldn't I? I'm paying for them!

I worked out the intial upfront €110 and the monthly €19's and it worked out far cheaper than buying a Samung Jet on Ebay .. and is not even taking into consideration the free minutes I'll be getting.

I think it's a fantastic deal and posted so above.

The reason that I wished to have an unlocked / sim free phone is as that I also have other sims from O2 & Meteor that are still receiving upgrade credits.

One sim is still owed €230 credit as it was a number that I had for years and I had bought phones with it every two or three months for quite a while.
    And you dont want to talk about the fact that it wasn't locked to vodafone when you purchased it?

What's to talk about?? The only thing talking about it would do is most likely spoil it for anyone else who'd like also take up this offer. Lots of people have different numbers / sim cards and wish to use them on their phone.

What if someone wants to take up the offer and have the option after a year to go back to prepay on another network? Vodafone can be a nightmare to get unlock codes from and so they might find it handy that the phone comes sim free at the minute. Not too mention the fact that unlocking voids any warranty.

Are you happy now? Well done, good for you .. you got me to openly discuss that the phone came simfree when I made it clear that I felt I shouldn't for the (unselfish) reasons given above.

I'd like this thread to stay on topic if that's okay with you. If you want to talk about the merits of unlocking postpay phones then start a thread on that topic and I'd be more than happy to subscribe.

• Advertisement

Yeah the phone came unlcoked too for me,i rang vodafone and said it to them,they didnt mind,just said i was lucky bedause they wherent supposed to be unlocked :D

Anyway the phone is great,havent actually tried everything,though iv been using the media player heavily and find it very responsive,got most of my music on it,batteries long enough but when I use the media player it cuts the battery down drastically which is expected.

Nico did you try the youtube widget? That works fine for me,it opens the video in a window no problem,not great quality no matter what video,seems that transferring it reduces the quality,I say its to do with your internet connection which is causing the problem.

Yeah the phone came unlcoked too for me,i rang vodafone and said it to them,they didnt mind,just said i was lucky bedause they wherent supposed to be unlocked :D

Exactly, they are not supposed to be. What most likely happened is that they are selling well and so dipped into the 'Business Phone' supply which are usually simfree.

You were right not to post that on the thread though .. wish I hadn't now. You could've PM'd me the info though :D

At least our warranty's are still intact which is a major plus which wouldn't have been the case had we of paid €25 or whatever to get 'em unlocked.

Well the cat's out of the bag now and as I know certain people personally who frequent these boards for market research and I can assure you that it will not stay that way for long.
    Anyway the phone is great,havent actually tried everything

Yeah, I thought it would be excellent, it's not .. it's 10 times better than that :pac:
    Nico did you try the youtube widget? That works fine for me,it opens the video in a window no problem,not great quality no matter what video,seems that transferring it reduces the quality,I say its to do with your internet connection which is causing the problem.

No, still no luck. I'll have to check other settings. I'm not sure about Vodafone's GPRS charges so just been using an O2 sim with the 99cent offer I figure no matter what I do it won't charge me a fortune.

I was afraid that if I accessed YouTube on the Bill Pay i'd accidently download a 1Gb clip or something and get charged €647 or something for the pleasure :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34 djvext

Hey all,

Just got my Samsung s8000 today...

One big problem (well for me its a big problem anyway!!): the phone is not playing albums in .m4a format in the correct order. Its incredibly infuriating!

No problem with mp3 albums, but m4a's are played alphabetically. I really can't stand this and will get rid of the phone if i can't sort this out, which I don't want to do..its a nice phone otherwise.

Any help would be so appreciated!!! I'll buy ya a pint (or 2 or 3!!!)

Cheers

djvext wrote: »
    but m4a's are played alphabetically.

Cheers

Okay, sorry for this post being edited but I confused myself I think :)

Do you want to play albums back to back or are you talking about tracks? I couldn't find a way to play albums back to back so I presume your talking about tracks for the rest of this post. Apologies if your not.

I put two m4a albums on my phone tonight and the first one kept starting on Track 6 no matter what and the second album would only start on Track 4.

Also, I could not get tracks to play in alphabetically order at all .. only album order as they appear on the phone.

Hi,

Yeah, its the track order. So basically the phone plays the songs from each album alphabetically, as opposed to the track order you see on hte back of the CD. Don't understand why...

Its happening with any m4a album i load onto it.. and I've put nearly 6 gig of music onto the phone...

I think it might be a firmware issue..its a grey area for me though. Any knowledgeable folk here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Ah Nico youre fecking gas.

Hey,

if you want to check what firmware you have, just type:

*#1234#

Mine is s8003dxgi2

Apparently there is a better one which quickens/smoothes the scrolling... Don't know about the m4a problem though?!?!?!?!

Hey,

if you want to check what firmware you have, just type:

*#1234#

Mine is s8003dxgi2

Apparently there is a better one which quickens/smoothes the scrolling... Don't know about the m4a problem though?!?!?!?!

Can't understand it, I do not have the alphabetical option at all - on m4a or mp3!!

Not that i'd want that.. why would you want to play songs alphabetically anyway .. unless you had OCD :D

The Maniac tools website has this free M4a to MP3 converter if you wanted to bulk convert. Know it's a hassale though.

http://www.maniactools.com/soft/m4a-to-mp3-converter/index.shtml

While your listening to a song if your turn it sideways the Albums icons come up in cube form and you can drag em and choose songs by touch or the Volume keys.

Wonder if we can install third party Java Media Players on this thing. Samsung is opening a new App store soon .. course they've been saying that for two years.

My firmware is .. S8000PIIF4

Think that means mine is bigger better than yours :D

The alphabetical thing is not an option, its doing that by itself (thats the annoying part).

My music collection is probably 75% m4a, thats out of 170GB, so i won't be converting anything. I'd get rid of the phone first.

Just to confirm, your Jet wouldnt play m4a albums correctly either? Just to reference your firmware (wont update to that if it doesnt work either).

I'd get rid of the phone first.).

No man, don't :pac:
    Just to confirm, your Jet wouldnt play m4a albums correctly either? Just to reference your firmware (wont update to that if it doesnt work either).

I'll try another m4a album now in a min and post back but mine did play in track order fine but when the tracks were loaded they appeared in a strange order - defo not Album track order.

Then when album was played the first M4a Album would only start at TRack 6 and the second one would only start at Track 4 ..

MP3 loaded fine and played fine ..

• Advertisement

Just loaded another M4a Album and just to confuse things it loaded all in correct Track order as is now playing in Track Orer also .. :confused:

Interesting. I need to find out how i can update the firmware on my phone now. Thank you for your effort!!! :)

The adventure continues.....

I need to find out how i can update the firmware on my phone now

PM sent ;)

Think you might buy me four :D

When you select Albums there is a little icon in the top of the screen on the left, if pressed, it will list Albums differently.

This pic has two icons in that position but when your select Albums there will be only the one.

SamsungEdit-1.jpg

If you then press that icon you will get the Albums listed with other little Play icons on the right hand side of the screen & if you use these Icons to play the Albums - it will then play them in .. (wait for it) .. Track Order :)

What can i say other than Thank You very much!!!!! :):):)

That pretty much does the trick!! Funny little quirk the phone has on this..

How is the scrolling on your handset? Mine is a little jumpy and definitely not as smooth as I would like. Cheers for the PM too, gonna look into that.

What can i say other than Thank You very much!!!!! :):):)

You can buy me those pints you promised!! :mad::mad::mad:

Just kidding .. you welcome, it was starting to get to me too, giving me brain itch it was :pac:
    That pretty much does the trick!! Funny little quirk the phone has on this..

Samsungs always have quirks, their the Alfa Romeos of the phone world :p

I nearly hopped mine of the wall when I thought 'Text Message Alerts' were reduced to just four annoying irratating samsung sounds .. then I seen the button at the bottom saying 'sounds' :o
    How is the scrolling on your handset?

It's grand, haven't noticed it being jumpy to be honest. I'm bugged by that sometimes when you get a message and press the 'View' icon it won't open yet it vibrates so the touch was felt by the phone :confused:

Doesn't happen that much though to be fair .. the Ultra touch was a nightmare for that.

Also, when texting I have pressed the 'return' button (bottom right corner) while trying to press the 'Space' button ..

Another thing I don't like is .. when you hit 'Reply' you get the screen that says 'Tap To Add Text' .. but why not just go straight through to the 'add text' screen anyway?

Anyway, glad we got the song play sorted .. phew! :P

Does anyone know how to lock the phone into 'Landscape Mode' while watching a movie?

On a long train journey yesterday and everytime I leaned into the window to get comfy and tilted the phone slightly it would switch back to 'upright mode' :mad:

I had the Samsung i8510 and on that phone you just pressed the lock key and it wouldn't change after that.

Also, on the phone you had the option to turn off the 'accelerometer' and choose landscape manually .. can't seem to find that option on this phone.

Starting now to notice a fed bad points with the phone ..

Anyone else have this phone yet?

Headphones keep coming loose in my pocket now. Wish they kept the old samsung standard socket as it was fine.

Also, I keep getting this shimmering long oval effect down the centre of the screen. It looks like a puddle looks after it rains - you that weird effect?

Given up using the 'messages' widget also as it never responds to the first touch. I have 'smart unlock' set to open messages now instead ..

Come on folks - if you've bought this phone, submit your user experiences so far. At least then I'll know if I should return this one as the rest of you aren't experiencing the same issues as I am.

One thing I like about the phone is that when you hold the phone to your ear the display cuts out and when you take it way it comes back on. If you place the handset on a table while on a call it automatically turns the 'speakerphone' on also which is cool.

Also like the 'smart unlock' as you can set it to open any application by just writing a 'letter' of your choice on the screen.

YouTube works well .. very impressive and watched a few DVDs ripped to AVI which played very smoothly. Sliding the slider during a movie to say the 45 minute mark was instant - no lag at all.

The only issue I have with Videos is not being able to choose 'landscape mode. Last night I woke up at 4am and thought I'd watch the end of a movie I had on it and could had to settle on watching it lying landscape but the left side titled up an inch so that it was in lanndscape, just.

Any higher and the phone would have switched to 'standard view' - but as I was lying down and looking at it full on, it would have appeared sideways to me.

Leaving it flat length ways in front of me would have been in landscape mode alright - but lying down you'd be looking the phone upright - does that make sense? :D

Anyway, just wish i could 'choose' or 'lock' it into landscape mode.

This is also a problem if say, your lying on the sofa trying to text .. it will just jump to landscape. Happened to me and I actually sent of a text that was only half finished some how.

Still like it though but the honeymoon is over :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭prunudo

Hi guys, I bought this phone last week and was told that its as good if not better than the iphone. Tbh I'm not 100% sure about this phone but I was expecting a lot. Now maybe i'm just being hard on it and i'll change my mind in a few weeks but we'll see. Also it's my first touch screen phone.

First of all the pros.

Big bright screen, good camera, easy to use menu's, radio is good, qwerty keypad is handy although you need to be accurate with your fingers.

There are a few things which i'm not 100% happy.
    - As mentioned above the screen changes from landscape to upright way too easily.
    - When a new msg comes in it sometimes wont allow you view it on the main screen. ( have to close it and reopen through the msg menu)
    - There is no exit key to exit the internet ( you have to scroll back through all your previous pages)
    - I cant seem to access apps. ( maybe i'm doing something wrong here?)
    - Some web pages take too long to upload even with good 3g coverage

Thats all I can think of for the moment but if I think of more I'll post them up.

• Advertisement

Hi ..
    jvan wrote: »
    - There are a few things which i'm not 100% happy.
    - When a new msg comes in it sometimes wont allow you view it on the main screen. ( have to close it and reopen through the msg menu)

Yeah, I just use the pop-up widget as a headups that there is a message - don't even try to tap it now.

I have set the letter 'O' as a 'smart unlock' for messages. So now - if a message comes in I just scrawl 'O' on the screen and I'm in my Inbox ..

- There is no exit key to exit the internet ( you have to scroll back through all your previous pages)
    - I cant seem to access apps. ( maybe i'm doing something wrong here?)

Just hold down the 'Back Button' (the Diamond / 3D Cube) and it will show you all open Apps in 3D format or just as a Grid (whichever you choose).
    - Some web pages take too long to upload even with good 3g coverage

The Browser is a nightmare to use anyway and Opera is just as bad on it .. I might try NetFront soon.
    - Thats all I can think of for the moment but if I think of more I'll post them up.

Good .. it's getting lonely on this thread :)

Thought more people would have bought it by now. Maybe most are holding out for a drop in price - wish I had to be honest.

Advertisement