Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Jet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just hold down the 'Back Button' (the Diamond / 3D Cube) and it will show you all open Apps in 3D format or just as a Grid (whichever you choose).

Ah yeah, thats pretty good. Cheers for that. There's another good point :)
    I'm still getting used to it after having Nokia's for the last 10 yrs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Just Google 'ing about there concering that 'shimmering' I was talking about and it would seem to be an LCD leak :eek:

Good few Samung Jet owners online complaining about it - hope it's not a common fault.

Will send it back to Vodafone and see what they say.

The thing is that the problem comes and goes and I'm afraid that when it gets to them, that it won't be visable. I don't even know what makes it worse as it appears just randomly.

The return address for Vodafone online orders is 20:20 Logistics in the Sandyford industrial estate - are they good at verifying faults?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

I bought the Samsung Jet on bill pay from O2 yesterday. I previously had a Sony Ericsson K610i (Vodafone). I also have an iPod Touch.

Things I like
    • Feels great. Narrower than the iPhone so feels easier to hold, especially in landscape mode
    • The photo and video quality is excellent for an cameraphone
    • Connectivity options. Wi-fi is more useful than I realised. Wi-fi and bluetooth connection screens are easy to use
    • Flash runs in the browser
    • FM radio is nice
    • Screen display quality is excellent - far superior to the iPod Touch, for example
    • 'Find Music' which identifies any music clip from a ten second sample is great fun

Things I hate
    • Most of the widgets are useless. The 'myspace' and 'facebook' widgets are just links that open in the web browser
    • Widgets take up a lot of screen space, and are too easy to move around by brushing against them accidentally resulting in a widget-mess.... :)
    • The Dolfin web browser is clunky - Entering URLs or typing in text fields is awkward (I use the landscape qwerty keyboard)
    • No GPS application! - The closest it comes to usable GPS software is Google Maps
    • GPS software is available (Route 66) but costs €69 (iirc)
    • GPS sometimes takes a good few minutes to get a satellite lock
    • Why do O2 preinstall such useless widgets? - a link to myhome.ie and an Irish language dictionary?
    • Can't figure out how to delete widgets entirely (I can hide them, but not uninstall them)
    • Included leather case is useless. A bit tight to fit the phone, but also you can't see the screen.
    • When scrolling the contacts list, it's too easy to accidentally start dialling someone
    • O2 seem to have de-installed all the games

Deal killers
    • No 'Communities' menu option - On my old phone I was able to upload photos directly to Blogger, the absence of the 'Communities' setting means I can't do this
    • No decent browser - Tried installing Opera Mini, but it doesn't switch to landscape mode (I'm comparing the browser to the iPhone browser which I've found very easy to use)
    • Email app is very basic (Again, comparing to the iPhone email app which I've used for gmail, and is responsive and easy to use)
    • Java apps run in a weird mode. The fonts look blurred and there are arrows and option buttons taking up a section at the bottom of the screen for any java apps
    • No decent Twitter app
    • When I'm typing in landscape mode, along the left hand edge of the screen (underneath the 'samsung' word) feels as if the screen coating is lifting off or something, there a 'sticky' sound when I move my finger along that edge
    • Nothing to do with the phone, but I was getting 4-5 bars reception from my house with Vodaphone, and now I'm down to 0-1 bars with O2

The thing that's really irritating me at the moment is the inability to post photos directly to Blogger - I'm sure the 'Communities' option will give me this.

Question: If I do a flash upgrade, will the phone default to the Samsung menu options? Or will it still retain the O2-defined menus?

(Why do the operators deactivate/deinstall some of the nicest features on these phones? :mad: )

ETA: Found out Vodafone have the 'communities' setting on the Jet, as well as an easy way to setup gmail instead of going through all the config screens.

tonyj wrote: »
    Connectivity options. Wi-fi is more useful than I realised. Wi-fi and bluetooth connection screens are easy to use.

Just out of interest - what do use Wifi for? I have no use for it as I can see - are there any free hotspots around Dublin anymore?
    'Find Music' which identifies any music clip from a ten second sample is great fun

Haven't used that function but like the FM Recording quality and seems to be no time limit on length.

I would have liked the ability to change the radio station on either the headset or the volume rocker on the side of the phone as don't like having to take the phone out to change station etc

Most of the widgets are useless. The 'myspace' and 'facebook' widgets are just links that open in the web browser
    Widgets take up a lot of screen space, and are too easy to move around by brushing against them accidentally resulting in a widget-mess.... :).

Excatly. Just as the Ultra Touch is. Widgets have a mind of their own. I ignore them and use Smart Unlock all the time. It doesn't say alot for the phone when it's quicker to lock the phone and scrawl a letter on the touchscreen than use the widgets themselves.
    The Dolfin web browser is clunky - Entering URLs or typing in text fields is awkward (I use the landscape qwerty keyboard).

Yeah, Browser is junk. I like the zoom feature but if they had of made the Diamond / Cube a D Pad then it would have made browsing a breeze. You'd need fingers like matchsticks to browse with any kind of speed or comfort.
    Why do O2 preinstall such useless widgets? - a link to myhome.ie and an Irish language dictionary?
    O2 seem to have de-installed all the games

Don't be too hard on O2 as the Vodafone set up is the same. No Games and the Irish Dictionary comes with the Vodafone model also.
    Deal killer
    No 'Communities' menu option - On my old phone I was able to upload photos directly to Blogger, the absence of the 'Communities' setting means I can't do this

On the Vodafone model there is a 'Communities' menu option which looks the very same as the Browser Icon on the second menu page.
    [*]No decent browser - Tried installing Opera Mini, but it doesn't switch to landscape mode (I'm comparing the browser to the iPhone browser which I've found very easy to use)

I have download some older Opera jars which work in landscape but to be honest I wouldn't bother as they don't work to well at all - maybe you could fair better I just got frustrated with it.
    When I'm typing in landscape mode, along the left hand edge of the screen (underneath the 'samsung' word) feels as if the screen coating is lifting off or something, there a 'sticky' sound when I move my finger along that edge

Yup, noticed this too and it's not on that Samsung released this without addressing this problem. It's obviousily that the film that that covers the ear peice and light sensor as been sabishily designed and a corner was cut no doubt about it.

NB .. just noticed the end of your post re:Vodafone 'Communities' ..

I have arranged for my phone to be collected by 20:20 (Vodafone) anyway due to the LCD internal leakage.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Bought this phone recently and I find it great, every day I find something new on it. I really like the smart unlock feature.

The widgets are mostly useless, except for wifi and bluetooth which are handy to have on the home screen. I also like the fact that I can open PDF, Excel and word documents. This can be very handy for me on occasions

I use the wifi for surfing, more public hotspots (free) would be nice.
    I[*]GPS software is available (Route 66) but costs €69 (iirc).

I got the gps and route 66 setup up for free, it is a free download specifically for the Jet on Route 66 website. Maps are free, I got Ireland, UK and Italy. There are some additional addons you can buy if you really need them.

Overall I am impressed with this Phone:)

• Advertisement

h2s wrote: »
    I got the gps and route 66 setup up for free, it is a free download specifically for the Jet on Route 66 website. Maps are free, I got Ireland, UK and Italy. There are some additional addons you can buy if you really need them.

Do you have a direct download link for this offer?

I downloaded Route66 to my PC last week and didn't get far. It kept saying my phone wasn't connected - any ideas why?

I had it in 'mass storage' mode as requested.

Also, I see that the JET has TV Out in both PAL and NTSC - did your phone come with a TV Out cable?

Bought this phone recently and I find it great, every day I find something new on it. I really like the smart unlock feature.

I've spent a few more hours with the phone and the more I play with it the more I like it. The screen is still amazing, especially when I go back and look at the screen on the iPod touch in comparison- it's making me start to hate the quality of the display on the iPod... ;-)

I'm also getting more used to the touch screen interface. I've been so used to the iPhone type interface, this one needs a slightly different 'touch' to it. But I'm realising now that it's actually quite robust. I'm not a fan of predictive text, but I'm using predictive text more than the qwerty keyboard now, as it's really fact and easy to use.

Got the GPS locking nice and quickly last night - the problem? - I was trying to get a lock indoors. Not having had a GPS before I didn't realise that the best lock was obtained with a clear view of the sky.

I got gmail setup and configured as well in the native email client. A bit of a pain to setup, but it's working great now - It even polls for new emails every hour. I'm not sure how 'push email' works, exactly.

Getting gmail set up also meant that I can now email photos to my Blogger blog - So I don't actually need the 'communities' setup screen. It'd be nice, but this workaround works fine.

I also figured out how to link photos to contacts, fun feature.

Still being impressed by the camera. There's also a simple photo editing app which lets you crop photos etc. before sending them.

I'd like a native Twitter client though... Java apps just don't look very good on this phone. SMS tweeting works fine (as you'd expect)

I might get back to you on this. I got a link to the s/w download, installed it on my PC - But I think need a memory card installed on the phone before it'll link properly via USB. I had it in mass storage mode, but the app wouldn't recognise the phone. Also, I'm not sure if it's free, as it keeps prompting me to visit the store to buy the maps I need.
    Nico22 wrote:
    Just out of interest - what do use Wifi for? I have no use for it as I can see - are there any free hotspots around Dublin anymore?

I use the wi-fi mainly at home to save on 3G costs.

I've spent a few more hours with the phone and the more I play with it the more I like it. The screen is still amazing, .

I'm jealous as my screen is totally busted now. The LCD is leaking all over the inside - just my luck.
    I got a link to the s/w download,.

Is there a special link for the free download? I just went to the 66.com website and downloaded the programme but like yourself, it wouldn't recongnise my phone. Post any updates on your install as it might help me get it set up and I'm dying to use it in the car :)
    I'm not sure if it's free, as it keeps prompting me to visit the store to buy the maps I need.,.

I only got as far is it saying it couldn't find my phone.
    I use the wi-fi mainly at home to save on 3G costs.

Guess I'd need a wireless router for that :)

Would have liked if you could stream the radio via Bluetooth as well as MP3s etc as I have a Bluetooth stereo headset.

This link is for the Jet only. It is a special version for that phone.

http://www.66.com/samsung/index.php?cid=UK&act=2&cat=2&scat=1

The reason for the error Nico22 is getting is that the standard version does not work with the Jet.

Needless to say uninstall any other versions of Route 66 first. Once you register (for free) you can download the addons, some like the maps are free and other you must buy, but they not essential and they are relatively cheap.

EDIT - It appears to use only the memory card to store and takes up a fair amount with the 3 maps I have. So you may need to get a good size mem card.

No TV out cable with the phone. I did try a cable I had for a portable DVD player, but it didn't work. I wonder if it is a special cable for the Jet?

Like TonyJ I find the Wifi at home save on the 3g costs, and fast connection too. Good scanner!, amazing to find how many unprotected wifi in the neighbourhood :eek:

What would really set the phone off is some good useful widgets and more apps, early days yet and hopefully we will see some.
    Nico22 wrote: »
    Would have liked if you could stream the radio via Bluetooth as well as MP3s etc as I have a Bluetooth stereo headset.

Bluetooth stereo headset, now I'd like that - does Radio not stream with A2DP?

• Advertisement

The reason for the error Nico22 is getting is that the standard version does not work with the Jet.?

Cheers for that. I'll it tonight ..
    It appears to use only the memory card to store and takes up a fair amount with the 3 maps I have. So you may need to get a good size mem card

Damn .. only have an old 1GB card that I had spares from an old G600 I had. So guess that won't do?
    Bluetooth stereo headset, now I'd like that - does Radio not stream with A2DP?

No, well unless I am doing something wrong :(

Don't have a Bluetooth headset it's just that I use bluetooth in the house a lot as I have a bluetooth Soundblade speaker in the bathroom (in a waterproof sleeve) and also one in the kitchen so that I can just stream music to them as and when I need to. If I set the phone to auto answer I can actually answer calls from the shower :D

Last night with the Jet I was watching streaming YouTube vids in bed while the sound was piped to a Soundblade beside me. Tying to balance the phone on a book at such an angle that it wouldn't trigger the phone to switch back from the Landscape view I was enjoying. Did I mention I'm single :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

cnocbui wrote: »
    My ears won't tollerate FM audio quality. Watch Youtube music videos and save the stream. :rolleyes:

are you stone mad? Youtube has absolutely brutal audio quality and it's done on purpose to appease the record companies. 64k usually i think, even if its more its still bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Route66 might still need a licence (€70ish p.a.) for the guided navigation, maps and voices etc. are free.

That link worked! Thanks. You need to have a memory card in the phone, as that's where the app downloads the software and maps to.

Also, there's a free Ireland map in there.

I 'borrowed' a 4Gb card. I reckon you'll get away with a 1Gb card nico if you just want to try out the Ireland map.

I reckon you'll get away with a 1Gb card nico if you just want to try out the Ireland map.

Okay, I'll blame you if I don't though ;)

Okay, I'll blame you if I don't though ;)

lol! - I just checked and the software and data takes up 76Mb on the card.

Which reminds me, I'd better put the memory card back in the phone I borrowed it from, before it's missed.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I was thinking about getting one of these and was wondering does the GPS actually work?

Will java GPS apps like trekbuddy and Nav4all run on it?

Nav4All - Free gps navigation for your mobile phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Hoping to get this phone with Meteor tomorrow. Before I do I've two questions that hopefully somebody can answer.

Meteor and Vodafone say the phone has 2MB internal memory but O2 says 2GB. I'd assume it's 2GB but can somebody confirm this?

Is it possible to set the phone so that it only connects to the internet when wi-fi is active, like the N97, and not connect automatically?

Thanks.

Clum wrote: »
    Hoping to get this phone with Meteor tomorrow. Before I do I've two questions that hopefully somebody can answer.

Meteor and Vodafone say the phone has 2MB internal memory but O2 says 2GB. I'd assume it's 2GB but can somebody confirm this?

Is it possible to set the phone so that it only connects to the internet when wi-fi is active, like the N97, and not connect automatically?

Thanks.

It's 2gb, a portion of that is taken up with system.

Hey Nico22, your bluetooth setup sounds sweet, (pardon the pun)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ytubebitrate.jpg

You reckon?
    Dankoozy wrote: »
    are you stone mad? Youtube has absolutely brutal audio quality and it's done on purpose to appease the record companies. 64k usually i think, even if its more its still bad

• Advertisement

Hey Nico22, your bluetooth setup sounds sweet, (pardon the pun)

The sound quality is great even though the Soundblade is only a cheap bluetooth speaker. There are better ones outthere ..

In my car I only have a Sony Cassette / FM Radio system with CD Changer in the boot and here's the way I use the phone in the car.

I have one of these Cassette Adapters:

sony-car-cassette-adaptor-cpa9.ae-l.jpg
    I just put this end here into the headphone jack on the Samsung earphones lead, not the phone itself. Then just wear the earphone lead as normal - clipped to your collar or whereever.

Now you can listen to your MP3's or even the phone's radio through your car stereo speakers and if a call comes in the music will stop and you'll hear the caller through your stereo system also. You use the mic on your collar for them to hear you :)

If your car stereo has 'line-in' or 'aux'in' 3.5 jack then that's eve better as you can just use a simple 3.5 to 3.5 'line in' lead.

I have a profile set up called 'In Car' that I switch to so it auto answers after so many rings. Handy to have different ringtones for different callers also if you use your phone in the car alot.

Last night I went to the cinema and as the movie was boring the bajasus out of me and starting using the 'Find Music' feature and it blew me away :D

Part of the movie was on a beach with some background music and after seven seconds it told me it was 'Werewolf - Cat Power' .. very cool, crazy that it can do that so fast :p

A download option would be cool if you then wanted to buy the song. It even downloads a photo of the Album cover with the song.

lol! - I just checked and the software and data takes up 76Mb on the card.

I installed it fine and downloaded the map okay but it just says Getting Position for hours as it hovers over Moscow :confused:

I installed it fine and downloaded the map okay but it just says Getting Position for hours as it hovers over Moscow :confused:

First, make sure you've done;

Settings / Phone Settings / GPS Settings / GPS+Settings / Download Data

Also from that screen you can see how many satellites you're locking on to.

Finally... Go outside! - Or at the very least stick the handset out the window. It just doesn't work indoors.

Finally... Go outside! - Or at the very least stick the handset out the window. It just doesn't work indoors.

I'll have you know that I was outside .. the cheek of ya :D

Good man Tony anyway .. got it going now. I hadn't done the Download Data thing .. must have missed that somewhere along the line .. cheers mate, buy you a few pints.

Well, when DJVext buys me mine first that is ;)

Well, I'm just waiting for someone else to flash theirs first before I do anything... ;-)

tbh, I'm quite happy with the setup now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I did have a funny glitch yesterday, I was recording video in high quality, about 3 minutes worth. When I played it back the audio went all weird about a minute into it... as if the phone signal interfered with the audio recording or something. I tried to replicate a few times, but it was fine.

I suppose when you have gps, phone, internet, wi-fi, music, camera, and video all in one device you're bound to have bugs. I mean, Windows has been around for 20 years and it's still not right. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

so whats the general opinion of this phone then?

honestly?

honestly?
    Well, I love it. And if the sales figures are anything to go by (look how many Toccos Samsung have sold, very similar phone, slightly lower spec) then the 'general' opinion is good.

It really depends what you want to use it for. If you're looking for something where you can install loads of different apps and widgets then you should look for a Symbian based phone (or possibly Android, when that becomes more widely available)

It's essentially a high-end feature phone, not a smartphone (by the strictest definition of the word) - It runs a proprietary Samsung OS with the TouchWiz interface. So, if you're happy working with (or around) the apps it comes installed with, then great. Outside of that, you're stuck with Java apps, which tend to be a bit clunky as they're not native.

I was looking for a phone that would do email and some surfing, and a decent camera was a bonus. This phone delivered these things. In fact, I'm now very happy with using it for texting as well (I never used to like texting) mainly because I find the touch screen so easy and quick to use.

And the quality of the display is great. It's so bright and vibrant that it makes the iPhone look washed out.

However, I am expecting to encounter bugs, glitches or irritations, as this is a new gadget on the market, and I tend to dig into menus and settings, and push every app until it's screaming for mercy... :D But I have fun doing it, and finding out the limits of the phone.

Finally, I spent quite a while in phone shop picking up and trying out every phone that was out there, to see how it felt in my hand, what the keys were like. It's one thing comparing specs, but if you don't like the 'feel' of the phone...

So.. it depends what you're looking for. (Ask on a Nokia thread and get a different answer)

honestly?

Class phone. I have a problem with my LCD but it doen't seem to e a common issue and if you put that to the side it's the best phone I've owned.

I have had all the touch screen phones and can honestly say this is best for respose and speed of them all.

I have watched tones of AVI Movies on it now and it's been so smooth that it's quite hard to believe. You can drag the slider from the start of the movie to the middle in one swift move and the phone doesn't stall for even a fraction of a second.

Sound quality is excellent, although supplied headphones not the best. I switched mine for Sony ones and the sound quality doubled.

I have a Lumix TZ7 so have no need for the camera / video recording so couldn't tell you how good that is.

Browsing takes little getting used to as it has a Zoom function at it's heart but once you get used to zoming in and out so as to click links or enter text then it's very smooth.

Photo Browser is amazing in landscape mode as you just flip the photos along and it's very responsive.

Texting is very fast also, either in T9 or landscape Qwerty mode.

My only real issue is that you can't select Landscape mode manually.

If your an artist there is something called Dynamic Canvas which is very cool. You have all colours, brush sizes etc etc. I'm not in the least artistic so no use for it but can imagine people loving it.

Bluetooth and Wifi are very impressive with Radar type screens.

Guess it all depends what you want you want from a phone whether you like it or not.

I just wanted a phone to watch movies on, have a decent radio with FM recording and not be as big as a house (as the iphone is).

Incidentally nico, according to this link on the Samsung UK site you can upgrade the phone software very easily using the PC Studio software.

http://www.samsungmobile.co.uk/supports/softwaremanuals/softwareNpsUpdate.do

Tempted? :D

• Advertisement

Incidentally nico, according to this link on the Samsung UK site you can upgrade the phone software very easily using the PC Studio software.

http://www.samsungmobile.co.uk/supports/softwaremanuals/softwareNpsUpdate.do

Tempted? :D

Nope :D

Well maybe .. you gonna do it? It won't debrand so your warranty should be fine ..

Advertisement