Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Jet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Before you upgrade the software check and see which version you have .. (*#6984125*#)

Mine is ..
    S8000+PI+IF4
    Modem:M6246A-KPUOL-1.2.0026_3G
    SHP:VPP R5 2.1.1
    CSC:S8000VDIIF4

No idea what have that means but least we'll know if anything changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

Nico22 wrote: »
    Before you upgrade the software check and see which version you have .. (*#6984125*#)
    Good idea, mine is;

S8000+MU+IF2
    Modem:M6246A-KPUOL-1.2.0026_3G
    SHP:VPP R5 2.1.1
    CSC:S8000O2IIF2

I'll also have to check and double-check all the network connection profiles and the associated applications.

btw, why do you think this won't debrand it? - If it installs a new firmware, then it'll overwrite the o2 stuff with the default Samsung setup (i.e. I'll get menu options that were missing before, but I'll lose things like the myhome.ie widget)

*#1234# tells the SW version also but the other way is more detailed.
    tonyj wrote: »
    btw, why do you think this won't debrand it? - If it installs a new firmware, then it'll overwrite the o2 stuff with the default Samsung setup (i.e. I'll get menu options that were missing before, but I'll lose things like the myhome.ie widget)

You only get a full 'debrand' when you flash a phone and 'overwrite' the initial SW I think.

I would say this Samsung website software updating is just 'needed' updates like you would get from say Microsoft etc.

If they were to to offer fresh intalls of SW from their website that debranded phones I'd say the Networks would be up in arms.

Best you would get is it running faster, better battery life and the odd bug being ironed out. Hope I'm wrong ..

Best you would get is it running faster, better battery life and the odd bug being ironed out. Hope I'm wrong ..

I've installed the Samsung PC Studio app. It's really something else. Samsung have gone overboard designing their own style UI and icons, sweet. And you can do tons of stuff in it like manage contacts and SIM etc.

tbh, I never bother installing software that comes with gadgets, but this is quite impressive.

Now... regarding the software update section. Firstly I need to install that memory card again before it'll do the upgrade (I think it checks for the GPS s/w or something). Anyway, the strange thing is that it's saying:

Current version: S8000MUIF2
    Update version: S8000MUIF2
    Update is recommended.

This could mean either one of two things; the software upgrade knows it's 'locked in' to o2 firmware, and therefore will only show o2 applicable firmware updates. Or, the software is showing the incorrect 'Update version' and when it finishes the upgrade I'll get the real latest version.

P.S. Isn't your phone getting returned anyway? So? What have you got to lose? :D

P.S. Isn't your phone getting returned anyway? So? What have you got to lose? :D

Oohhhhhhhh okay so .. :p

• Advertisement

Having problems ..

It seems to see my phone but it's not listed when i click 'Select the Mobile Phone' drop-down box ..

Update002.jpg

I have tried closing and reopening but still it's not listed :confused:

Select 'PC Studio' (or whatever it's called) on the phone when you've connected it. It looks like you clicked 'mass storage'

Select 'PC Studio' (or whatever it's called) on the phone when you've connected it. It looks like you clicked 'mass storage'

Good call :D

Swingers is on Film 4 +1 now .. love that movie, gonna use the Find Music option a lot I bet .. the songs in it are cool. Think I'm addicted to the Find Music app .. :)

Select 'PC Studio'

No luck .. it says the phone is not supported :mad:

Update003.jpg

Did you try it?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

Probably a daft question but does this phone pick up a signal well?

Where i live signal is terrible, im on 3 but however i find it varies greatly between handsets. my old LG Shine or my old Nokia Slide was miles better than my INQ1 which is absolute sh1te in picking up a signal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Beebaa

Bought Jet last week. Excellent phone, but... while the browser works and displays YouTube, when i click on Watch Video, the media player opens, attempts to connect, says "Connected" but no buffering and after a minute or so says connection failed. Tried with very short videos but no luck.

In general flash seems not to work consistently, although settings are On.

I connect via WiFi at home to router at 1GB.

Any advice?

Hi,

I have the same issue but only with O2. If I try to connect with a Vodafone sim then no issue at all. I contacted O2 but they say the GPRS settings should do .. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

YouTube works well .. very impressive and watched a few DVDs ripped to AVI which played very smoothly. Sliding the slider during a movie to say the 45 minute mark was instant - no lag at all.
    Hey, Nico, what do you use to rip dvds to avi?

Hi,

I have the same issue but only with O2. If I try to connect with a Vodafone sim then no issue at all. I contacted O2 but they say the GPRS settings should do .. :confused:

Same here. Over my wi-fi connection youtube works fine, but when I switch back to 3G I get 'connection failed' all the time. My settings are:

Settings / Application Settings / Media Player / VOD setting. Profile set to: 'O2.ie Streaming'

Settings for O2.ie streaming profile:

Access name: internet
    Auth type: none
    Protocol: http
    Hone url: http://
    Proxy address : 0.0.0.0:0
    Linger time:0

Advanced:
    All fields set to zero / not ticked
    Traffic class: Subscribed

Doesn't work though... :confused: I also tried setting the streaming profile to 'mobile internet', still no joy.

I've googled this, and there are a few people out there having this problem with O2. On one of the O2 forums a mod said that the streaming settings are only there for O2 TV, and not for youtube.

http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?p=71228

hmmm... I suspect a conspiracy....

No luck .. it says the phone is not supported :mad:

Did you try it?

No, I'm going to leave it for the minute. It seems flashing from PC Studio doesn't really work. (Probably cause the firmware is locked to a network) - Also, I'm okay with the set-up at the moment, it's not like there's some bug that I desperately need to get fixed.

And now that I've got my desktop looking nice, I really don't want to break it... :D

Might wait a few more releases, until there's something major that I really really want.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

been quoted 229euro as an upgrade on 3 on relax 150 plus my data add on. Disappointed at that price considering you can get it on vodafone for 99euro on their lower tariffs.

Anyone get better price for this on 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Same here. Over my wi-fi connection youtube works fine, but when I switch back to 3G I get 'connection failed' all the time. My settings are:...

Doesn't work though... :confused: I also tried setting the streaming profile to 'mobile internet', still no joy.

I've googled this, and there are a few people out there having this problem with O2. On one of the O2 forums a mod said that the streaming settings are only there for O2 TV, and not for youtube.

http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?p=71228

hmmm... I suspect a conspiracy....

Perhaps they want you to buy an iPhone, or are they borked as well?

cnocbui wrote: »
    Perhaps they want you to buy an iPhone, or are they borked as well?

Perhaps they want me to buy O2 TV...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mass

Have any of you guys found a way to make the Jet automatically switch from WiFi to 3G (or visa versa)?

Do I really have to go into the Profiles section each time I move from my WiFi area and manually change back to O2 mobile every time??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Surely you wouldnt have to do that...

• Advertisement

Contacted Meteor tech services. They say Meteor don't support YouTube/Adobe Flash so YouTube not available. Still not working. Any Meteor owners out there getting youtube or flash enabled files?

Beebaa wrote: »
    Contacted Meteor tech services. They say Meteor don't support YouTube/Adobe Flash so YouTube not available. Still not working. Any Meteor owners out there getting youtube or flash enabled files?

I contacted O2 re: Youtube, here's the reply:

"They are only for O2 TV as we don't support YouTube on Samsung handsets"

Well... If they don't want me using up their data plan, that's fine... I must remind them to remove the 'YouTube' widget on their next update.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

i have a meteor sim in my jet and its running youtube videos no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yargh! Went to replace my lost phone and decided I would get the Jet and upgrade to a bill pay system while I was at it.

Went in to meteor in Dundrum and the sales assistant had never heard of the Jet and said it probably wouldn't be out for another month.

Have meteor released this phone yet?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Went in to meteor in Dundrum and the sales assistant had never heard of the Jet and said it probably wouldn't be out for another month.

It's on the meteor.ie website...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It's on the meteor.ie website...

I know, I told her that. I went in knowing which phone and plan I wanted, but she hadn't heard of the phone and believed that it must be coming out later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pwwillia

Was in the grafton street branch and they were telling me that they expected them in a week ago but no show, they reckon its due to samsung stocks though it could just be their fault.

Just wondering... did you get your phone from Meteor, or did you use a Meteor sim in an unlocked handset? Mine was bought as a meteor phone.

Got my replacement Jet as the last one's screen went but the new one has major LAG! :mad:

It has the same firmware though - can't undrstand it. There is a half second wait on 90% of presses and a one seond wait on the other 10% ..

Peeved off :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

It has the same firmware though - can't undrstand it. There is a half second wait on 90% of presses and a one seond wait on the other 10% ..
    That's really weird. Have you powered off and on and made sure there are no background apps running? - And have you switched off bluetooth and wi-fi to make sure they're not interfering?

I find it strange that the same firmware should be running slowly...

Advertisement