Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Jet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

tonyj wrote: »
    I find it strange that the same firmware should be running slowly...

Yeah, tried everything. Still just not as responsive as the first one.

Entering Menu is fast but if press 'Phone Settings' in takes a second to 'load' .. very annoying after awhile.

I might flash to newest firmware online as even if it's the same version or there abouts a fresh install might iron out any glitches or bugs. I'll post back ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

Nico22 wrote: »
    I might flash to newest firmware online as even if it's the same version or there abouts a fresh install might iron out any glitches or bugs. I'll post back ..
    Yay!

May the force be with you. :D

May the force be with you. :D

XEIG2 if you please .. how'd ya like them apples :D

XEIG2 if you please .. how'd ya like them apples :D

So? Spill the beans!

Are you running the latest firmware, and did it solve your lag problem?

So? Spill the beans!

Are you running the latest firmware, and did it solve your lag problem?

Yup, no more Jet Lag :D

S8000XEIG2 (ED011)

Took me ages to get the Downloader to see my phone through the USB. Then my laptop connected to Microsoft and spent 40 minutes downloading a file.

All my updates have been done so I don't know what that was about :confused:

I kept uninstalling Samsung PC Studio but that had no effect and it just said that I had no drivers for the phone and then downloaded from Microsoft - wierd.

Anyway, now I have Tetris and that's the main thing :)

Seriousily though - overall, the phone just feels more crisp.

The sound seems way better. Can hear the other caller much clearer. Speaker volume is louder.

Anything in particular that your curious about that I can check for you?

• Advertisement

Yup, no more Jet Lag :D

S8000XEIG2 (ED011)

Congrats! :P

Yes, there was something about drivers on that firmware wiki site, but it wasn't very clear. Still, at least you got it working.

Did you lose all your connection profiles during the upgrade? (Settings / Network Settings / Connections)

Is your internet stuff (browser and youtube) still working okay? - Any improvements to the browser?

Did it install the default Samsung widgets and delete the Vodafone ones?

Oh yes, if you go into the camera, do you get that little globe icon on the right which lets you send photos to facebook or wherever?

Did you have the Route66 GPS navigation s/w installed? - Is that still working okay?

Did you lose all your connection profiles during the upgrade? (Settings / Network Settings / Connections)

Yeah, every trace of Vodafone was wiped :)
    Is your internet stuff (browser and youtube) still working okay? - Any improvements to the browser?

Browser seems different. It's now full screen straight off the bat and scrolls faster and smoother.
    Did it install the default Samsung widgets and delete the Vodafone ones?

Yup, sure did .. I don't use Widgets so can't really say what's new but there is at least five Widget apps gone.
    Oh yes, if you go into the camera, do you get that little globe icon on the right which lets you send photos to facebook or wherever??

Yes! :D
    Did you have the Route66 GPS navigation s/w installed? - Is that still working okay?

I deleted it as it was not working really. Streets were facing the wrong way and was taking ages to get a signal etc

I'll try it again.

The main thing I thought they would fix that they didn't was the Landscape issue. It's not good that I can't view Landscape when I want.

I just got a photo today of a new born baby and it was taken sideways so if I hold it upright the pic is sideways and if I turn it to Landscape it goes upright - so I can't view the photo either way.

You should be able to view Landscape even in Upright position and vice versa - very annoying.

Radio receptions is ten times better also. There was one or two stations I couldn't pick up and they are as clear as day now :D

Just noticed also that when I start dialing a number - after 4 digits, it gives me a drop down box containing contacts with that four number sequence .. :D

It doesn't have to be the first four numbers either .. can be the middle or end of the number also.

Excellent! - Thanks for the answers, sounds like a great update to have installed.
    I just got a photo today of a new born baby and it was taken sideways so if I hold it upright the pic is sideways and if I turn it to Landscape it goes upright - so I can't view the photo either way.

If you go into Photo Browser the photo will stay in landscape mode, (i.e. nothing should happen when you switch to portrait)

Alternatively, Menu / My Files then navigate to the photo and click it. Then when you have it open full screen click again and click the scissors icon on the bottom, then Edit / Transform / Rotate ...

Usually a camera records the orientation in the EXIF of the photo. So when you browse photos in a gallery browser they will appear correctly in portrait or landscape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 gixerfixer600

Got this phone the other day. Anyone else reckon it's painfully slow when browsing the web or is it just me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

I successfully flashed my Phone with the latest Firmware over the weekend and I have most of my network connections set up again. However I am having trouble with the O2 Sync option. When it connects I get an error “Unknown Certificate Authority”. Has anyone any ideas.

O2 need to update their site for the Jet as they cater for every phone on drop down lists except the Jet when it comes to getting network settings, including the sync settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Beebaa

Nico22,
    How did you uninstall Route66? Is there a process, or just delete files and turn navigation off?
    TIA
    Beebaa

Beebaa wrote: »
    Nico22,
    How did you uninstall Route66? Is there a process, or just delete files and turn navigation off?
    TIA
    Beebaa

Go to the following link:

Route 66

Follow these instructions and you should be fine ..

R66.jpg

Then as you go through each stage you will get further instructions.

Post back any hiccups ..

h2s wrote: »
    I successfully flashed my Phone with the latest Firmware over the weekend and I have most of my network connections set up again. However I am having trouble with the O2 Sync option. When it connects I get an error “Unknown Certificate Authority”. Has anyone any ideas.
    Do you mean the 'Synchronise' icon on the second menu screen?

When I click on mine, I see the 'O2.ie Webtext' profile. I click on the profile and it says 'Connected' for about 4 minutes. Eventually I get 'Receiving failed'

I can post the settings for that profile if you want. But tbh it doesn't seem to be working for me either - ummm... I'm not sure what it's supposed to even do! :rolleyes:

(btw, to uninstall Route66 turn navigation off, and delete the folder from the memory card)

ETA: The synchronise function is for synching contacts, email, calendar etc. with a MS Exchange server. Is this what you're talking about?

(btw, to uninstall Route66 turn navigation off, and delete the folder from the memory card)

Oops .. sorry, I thought you said 'Install' - not 'Uninstall' .. doh! :o

What I did was formatted my Memory Card in the phone and did 'Hard Reset' ..

Now, this means losing all data on the phone and memory card but I had all my MP3s in a folder on my PC as back up so just cut and pasted them back to the memory card.

To Format Memory card ..

Settings / Memory Settings / Memory Card Details / Format

Hard Reset (You'll lose all personal data) ..

Don't use this Hard Reset unless you want a complete wipe of all your data, contacts, apps etc that YOU have put on the phone ..
    *2767*3855#

S8000+MU+IF2
    Modem:M6246A-KPUOL-1.2.0026_3G
    SHP:VPP R5 2.1.1
    CSC:S8000O2IIF2
    Just flashed it to S8000XEIG2 everything is working great!

The code to show the s/w version etc. isn't working, so I can't compare to the previous. Anyway, I'm happy. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Well, after much searching I finally got my Samsung Jet off meteor. I'll have to go back through this thread and read all of the advice, BUT for the moment the one thing annoying me is the "3G" icon in the top left. I don't have a data plan and meteor charge a hefty data fee, so I'm a little worried. I've connected to my wireless network at home, is the 3G icon there for my broadband or am I actually using meteor's 3G service?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Well, after much searching I finally got my Samsung Jet off meteor. I'll have to go back through this thread and read all of the advice, BUT for the moment the one thing annoying me is the "3G" icon in the top left. I don't have a data plan and meteor charge a hefty data fee, so I'm a little worried. I've connected to my wireless network at home, is the 3G icon there for my broadband or am I actually using meteor's 3G service?

Think your confusing GPRS/EDGE with 3G..

The 3G icon is just indicating that you are connected to a 3G network.

GPRS on a 3G network is far superior than GPRS on the old networks. For instance you can watch streaming video etc.

Although I'm not sure if that would be advisable on Meteor - do they have decent data plan prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Think your confusing GPRS/EDGE with 3G..

The 3G icon is just indicating that you are connected to a 3G network.

GPRS on a 3G network is far superior than GPRS on the old networks. For instance you can watch streaming video etc.

Although I'm not sure if that would be advisable on Meteor - do they have decent data plan prices?

Ah ok. So if I am connected to my home broadband via wifi, using the internet will use my wifi connection as opposed to meteor?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Ah ok. So if I am connected to my home broadband via wifi, using the internet will use my wifi connection as opposed to meteor?

Yeah it will but I think someone complained on the thread though that they had to connect manually to their broadband via Wifi each time - not sure if they figured out an auto-connection or not yet.

There is sepearte icons though for GPRS and WIFI so I guess that would be the only way to know for sure.

• Advertisement

Do you mean the 'Synchronise' icon on the second menu screen?

When I click on mine, I see the 'O2.ie Webtext' profile. I click on the profile and it says 'Connected' for about 4 minutes. Eventually I get 'Receiving failed'

I can post the settings for that profile if you want. But tbh it doesn't seem to be working for me either - ummm... I'm not sure what it's supposed to even do! :rolleyes:

ETA: The synchronise function is for synching contacts, email, calendar etc. with a MS Exchange server. Is this what you're talking about?

I was using the Synchronise function ( not the exchange Activesync) on the main menu to back up my contacts with 02. It's a handy back up plus you have you contacts to hand on the website if you use the free texts on the O2 websites.

Before I flashed the phone I wrote down all the settings of all the connections. I set up all the connections again including the Sync profile. I was getting that certificate error up to the day I last posted. Since then it connects but just sits there doing nothing. Usually the sync only take a few seconds.

I was using the Synchronise function ( not the exchange Activesync) on the main menu to back up my contacts with 02. It's a handy back up plus you have you contacts to hand on the website if you use the free texts on the O2 websites.
    Yes, I see what you're trying to do now. I've tried it a few times here using these settings;

Host address: http://messaging.o2online.ie/syncml.osp
    User name: Type "o2" as Login
    Password: Type "o2" as Password
    Contacts database name: contacts
    Port: 80

But I keep getting the 'Certificate Authority Error'

You can check the synch status on the o2.ie website - is yours managing to connect at all? (you can see the last time it attempted to synch)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pwwillia

anyone have issues with roaming? am up in belfast and the phone just bounces between orange/t-mobile so a lot of the time you only get the "emergency calls only" notice then a hour later no problem, very patchy. also texting is a hassle as it fails to send then as you move around the city you get texts which were sent a 1/2 hour ago even though i have pretty much a full signal on either network. Tried switching to another network like vodafone and o2 but got a failiure to connect to network alert. Very frustrating on a otherwise excellant phone.

Yes, I see what you're trying to do now. I've tried it a few times here using these settings;

Host address: http://messaging.o2online.ie/syncml.osp
    User name: Type "o2" as Login
    Password: Type "o2" as Password
    Contacts database name: contacts
    Port: 80

But I keep getting the 'Certificate Authority Error'

You can check the synch status on the o2.ie website - is yours managing to connect at all? (you can see the last time it attempted to synch)

Those are the settings I have and i'm getting the same error.

According to the o2 site I synced successfully last week. None of my recent connections have registered.

Those are the settings I have and i'm getting the same error.

According to the o2 site I synced successfully last week. None of my recent connections have registered.

Mine aren't registering either.

Well, it wasn't working before I flashed the fw anyway, so it could be an issue at the O2 server end.

When you made the notes before you flashed, did you write down which connection profile you were using?

Mine aren't registering either.

Well, it wasn't working before I flashed the fw anyway, so it could be an issue at the O2 server end.

When you made the notes before you flashed, did you write down which connection profile you were using?

Connection profile used:

Set Name = webtext.o2.ie
    Bearer type UMTS
    Access name = internet
    Auth type = none
    Protocol = other
    Linger time = 300

Clum wrote: »
    Hey, Nico, what do you use to rip dvds to avi?

Hello Clum,

Sorry - for some reason I didn't see this post till now.

I use software called Any-DVD-Converter.

I have only ever bought one peice of software and this is it. It costs €25 or thereabouts and has preset conversion options for mobile phones.

They have a trial here:

http://www.any-dvd-converter.com/

If you don't want to go the 'Pay' route then rip with DVD Shrink and convert the VOB files with the free version of Any-Video-Converter. Without a shadow of a doubt it is the best free software online (apart from Mozilla of course :D).

I used it all year and it's outstanding. It even has a direct YouTube download and you can convert to MP3 in seconds. You'll feel guilty not having to pay something for it - it's that good.

You can choose video bitrate, audio bitrate, codec options, frame rate, sync options, batch conversions, merge files ... the list is endless.

If you have a gigantic AVI you can not only convert to a small MP4 with the settings you choose but you can also just edit out 20 minutes and just convert that portion .. outstanding.

Jeez, I sound like I work for the company there .. wish I did :pac:

Now, just send €19 to the following PayPal address and I'll make sure that you receive a lifetime licence to the supreme golden version that can convert a whole DVD to a miniscule MP4 file for the S8000 Jet in just under 10 seconds!! :D

Nope, it's 100% free that version. Here's the link:

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

Connection profile used:

Set Name = webtext.o2.ie
    Bearer type UMTS
    Access name = internet
    Auth type = none
    Protocol = other
    Linger time = 300

I've tried a few other combinations with no luck. I either get 'Network error' or the 'Certificate authority' error.

I'm starting to suspect something else. If your settings are exactly the same as they were before the flash, then it's possible something else was deleted; the O2 certificate.

(Settings / Network Settings / Certificates / Operator)

As far as I understand, for certain secure web comms, a digital certificate is needed on the server end and the client end. When you flashed, it's possible this pre-installed O2 certificate was deleted. Therefore when you now try and synch, the O2 server can't find a matching cert at your end, and returns that error. Just a guess.

then it's possible something else was deleted; the O2 certificate.

Just a long shot .. but maybe when syncing it 'streams' the settings in which case you'd be using the VOD settings under Media Player?

Well, I did say it was a long shot :D

• Advertisement

Just a long shot .. but maybe when syncing it 'streams' the settings in which case you'd be using the VOD settings under Media Player?
    I've tried every single connection profile I can think of, and various combinations of url, port, username, password. But keep getting that same error.

It appears as if the error is caused during the initial handshake, because nothing appears on the O2 end to indicate a connection was established. That's why I'm heavily suspecting this cert error. Also, that list of ssl certs is the only other thing I can think of that could have changed during the flash (i.e. he re-entered all his previous settings exactly)

Oh, btw, got flickr and picasa photo and twitter updates working today :)

Advertisement