Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Jet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Nico22 wrote: »
    Yeah it will but I think someone complained on the thread though that they had to connect manually to their broadband via Wifi each time - not sure if they figured out an auto-connection or not yet.

There is sepearte icons though for GPRS and WIFI so I guess that would be the only way to know for sure.

I just bought A Jet and this is one area the Sony C905 I had briefly leaves the Jet for dead. With the C905, when you had a WiFi connection, all applications that use TCPIP data traffic would automatically just use the WiFi connection.

With the Jet, basically you have to configure each and every application to use WiFi, otherwise it will just use 3G which seems to be the default for all apps.

This is a dumb system and a PITA.

While playing with mine and getting to know it, I went into settings -> Network Mode and took it of Automatic and specified GSM 900. That way, any apps that wanted to spend my money had to try and do so through GPRS. Since I haven't configured a GPRS setting yet, they couldn't get a connection :D

Does anyone know how to improve the audio quality when on Youtube? It is utterly dreadful and sounds like it must be 22 kbps or worse. The C905 was much better at youtube. Much better sound quality and it could play all the videos I tried.

pwwillia wrote: »
    anyone have issues with roaming? am up in belfast and the phone just bounces between orange/t-mobile so a lot of the time you only get the "emergency calls only" notice then a hour later no problem, very patchy. also texting is a hassle as it fails to send then as you move around the city you get texts which were sent a 1/2 hour ago even though i have pretty much a full signal on either network. Tried switching to another network like vodafone and o2 but got a failiure to connect to network alert. Very frustrating on a otherwise excellant phone.

Sounds like you should just set it to your home network manually. Settings -> Network Settings -> Select Network -> Manual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

tonyj wrote: »
    It appears as if the error is caused during the initial handshake

Have you tried using open.internet as the Access name?

Also, try changing the Auth type .. or if you can manually add an 's' to the http .. so it's https:// .. :confused: .. <scratching head> .. it's an odd one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

Have you tried using open.internet as the Access name?

Also, try changing the Auth type .. or if you can manually add an so to http .. so it's https:// .. :confused: .. <scratching head> .. it's an odd one :)

Yes and yes. I've tried https, port 80, port 8080, open.internet - all the combos I can think of. Weird, isn't it?

Yes and yes. I've tried https, port 80, port 8080, open.internet - all the combos I can think of. Weird, isn't it?

Told you not to flash it :D

• Advertisement

Told you not to flash it :D

lol!! I'm happy I've got 'communities' and tetris :D

I was trying to help out that other guy, I don't use the synch function at all. I'm one of the few people who emails more than they txt.

Did I mention I tried out Route66 and the GPS the other day? - I paid €2 for one days access, and put in a route for a car journey. It worked great, it was telling me which turns to take like a real GPS. Okay, it didn't have the updated Red Cow in there, but apart from that I was very impressed.

And I'm still loving the camera and the video recording.

Did I mention I tried out Route66 and the GPS the other day? - I paid €2 for one days access, and put in a route for a car journey. It worked great, it was telling me which turns to take like a real GPS. Okay, it didn't have the updated Red Cow in there, but apart from that I was very impressed.

Really .. what was the €2 for? I found it to be a nightmare but then I have used the new TomTom 730 which was exceptional. It even reads out text messages if you hook your mobile up via Bluetooth.

I'm not mad about the video either but again I am spoiled by owning a Lumix TZ7 which is a just a 'point n shoot' but it records in HD and the sound and Optical zoom is is quite shocking for a pocket camera.

Check out my Def Leppard & Beyonce vids if you'd like to see how the Lumix shoots HD.

Here's a vid I shot at the Estuary in Swords during the week with the Jet - thought the Swans were going to kill me .. Cops arrived and broke it up though. Serves me right for skiving :pac:

**EDIT** .. actually, now that I see this footage uploaded it looks ten times better than it did on my PC using GOM player and Media Player Classic. YouTube seem to have some excellent encoding features these days - I don't know what they are doing but I wish I could get a player on my PC that makes videos look as good as they are starting to make 'em look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

I've tried a few other combinations with no luck. I either get 'Network error' or the 'Certificate authority' error.

I'm starting to suspect something else. If your settings are exactly the same as they were before the flash, then it's possible something else was deleted; the O2 certificate.

(Settings / Network Settings / Certificates / Operator)

As far as I understand, for certain secure web comms, a digital certificate is needed on the server end and the client end. When you flashed, it's possible this pre-installed O2 certificate was deleted. Therefore when you now try and synch, the O2 server can't find a matching cert at your end, and returns that error. Just a guess.

That's what I was thinking too, as the certificate location listed above is empty.

Anyway thanks for all the help, I'm going to let this one go as there are more important things in life.

BTW I started using the PC Studio to back up contacts, etc....

What do people think of that software? Personally I think they still have a lot of work to do with it the sync feature is very basic. Sony Ericsson's pc software is really streets ahead.

Also if using on Vista, make sure you run it in admin mode otherwise certain fucntionality such as the update section will not work properly.

h2s wrote: »
    BTW I started using the PC Studio to back up contacts, etc....

What do people think of that software? Personally I think they still have a lot of work to do with it the sync feature is very basic.
    The UI looks great, but it's let down in a few areas. Like not being able to do a full backup of the S8000. But I did find it useful for quickly going down and editing my list of names/numbers on the SIM.

Also, it would be nice if the firmware flash utility actually worked, it'd be easier than going through that process with the boot loader.

For file transfer to/from the phone, I'm using bluetooth on the Mac. Pity it doesn't integrate with iTunes in a nice way.

Check out my Def Leppard & Beyonce vids if you'd like to see how the Lumix shoots HD.
    Nice quality! - I'm impressed with the zoom range and the decent exposure (notoriously tough lighting conditions at gigs) - I did see you sneak in a digital zoom at one point.... :p

I understand where you're coming from - I have a Fujifilm P&S that has nice vid quality and a Nikon D40 that I love the photos from, and also a Sony Camcorder. But, for pure convenience the photos/vids out of the Jet are great compared to other cameraphones I've tried in the past with the rubbish VGA 15fps videos. I notice with the Jet that although the vids are sharp, they seem to have some weird frame rate thing going on.

The videos out of the Jet are also better than the built-in webcam on the iMac for making quick YouTube uploads, I've found.

P.S. No wonder the swans wanted to kill you, with that music choice... :D

• Advertisement

jvan wrote: »
    - When a new msg comes in it sometimes wont allow you view it on the main screen. ( have to close it and reopen through the msg menu)

When the notification comes up on screen, I double tap the view button and it opens the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Lego_Man

Hi Lads,

Got my jetyesterday so just getting to know it. Just wondering, whats the story with the choice of three screens where the widgets are? Before you go into the main menu. Im not sure I see the point of it unless Im missing something.

Also how are ye fairing out with sat nav?

Lego_Man wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Got my jetyesterday so just getting to know it. Just wondering, whats the story with the choice of three screens where the widgets are? Before you go into the main menu. Im not sure I see the point of it unless Im missing something.
    You have three desktops that you can slide across. The point is to store different sets of widgets on each. For example, on my first screen I've got a clock, wi-fi, bluetooth, calendar. On the second screen I've got the google mail and maps widget.
    Lego_Man wrote: »
    Also how are ye fairing out with sat nav?
    Tried it out properly the other day. Once you've installed Route 66 and set up the GPS properly (by doing the location data download thing) and make sure you're outside, then it works quite well.

I paid for a one-day license of the voice turn-by-turn navigation in Route66, and set a driving route to Glasnevin.

Worked great. I just put it on the passenger seat and let it talk me through the turns.

You'll never get an accurate signal indoors or inside buildings though. The best you can hope for indoors is a mobile mast location to within 1500m.

Did anyone get t the Connected Home App on their JET?

I was reading the instruction manual and it mentioned that the Jet 'can' have DLNA as part of the WiFi spec. This would let you stream media files to your phone over WiFi, but mine doesn't have the App.

The manual of course states:
    This feature may be unavailable depending on
    the software of the phone.

Do you get it when you reflash to a new OS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Lego_Man

You have three desktops that you can slide across. The point is to store different sets of widgets on each. For example, on my first screen I've got a clock, wi-fi, bluetooth, calendar. On the second screen I've got the google mail and maps widget.

Tried it out properly the other day. Once you've installed Route 66 and set up the GPS properly (by doing the location data download thing) and make sure you're outside, then it works quite well.

I paid for a one-day license of the voice turn-by-turn navigation in Route66, and set a driving route to Glasnevin.

Worked great. I just put it on the passenger seat and let it talk me through the turns.

You'll never get an accurate signal indoors or inside buildings though. The best you can hope for indoors is a mobile mast location to within 1500m.

Aye, guessed that. I wouldnt be a fan of the three desktops myself. Would prefer just the one and go into the main menu then for my options. Each to their own. Might give the sat nav a lash.

Cheers for reply.

Just for info – I got the sync settings working.

I use O2 site to download the settings for the Samsung M8800 and it worked.

The sync profile is as I had it already the difference is in the connection profile that the sync profile uses it uses wap.dol.ie to access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Just so folks know the phone is £199 PAYG in Carphone Warehouse up north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 emmsmom

Ye all seem to love your Samsung Jet. I am seriously thinking of getting one in the next few weeks and certainly wouldn't be as technically minded as ye guys.

My question for ye is, should I buy it SIM Free from pixmania or wait for an upgrade next January with Vodafone? I seem to get the impression that if the phone is locked to Vodafone I will have a few useless widgets and also is it possible to upload photos direct from your phone to Facebook etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Anyone here have the Jet and also the i8910, or compared the two? I can't decide which to buy. Jet sounds like it suits my needs well but 8910 has higher spec in many areas.

The sync profile is as I had it already the difference is in the connection profile that the sync profile uses it uses wap.dol.ie to access.
    Thanks for that, I downloaded the M8800 settings and it worked for me too.

The other thing that's different is the account password. - So much for my theory about digital certs! ;)

• Advertisement

Nice quality! - I'm impressed with the zoom range and the decent exposure (notoriously tough lighting conditions at gigs) - I did see you sneak in a digital zoom at one point.... :p
    For the weight and slimness of The Jet though the video quality is very good. About the same as maybe the Nokia N95 or maybe a little better. The Samsung i8510 is a good bit better but it has an 8mp camera.
    P.S. No wonder the swans wanted to kill you, with that music choice... :D

You love it :D

iwb wrote: »
    Anyone here have the Jet and also the i8910, or compared the two? I can't decide which to buy. Jet sounds like it suits my needs well but 8910 has higher spec in many areas.

It looks like a brick to me but if you can live with it's size then I'd go for it.

samsung-3.jpg

When the notification comes up on screen, I double tap the view button and it opens the message.

My message widget never opens to double taps .. fred astaire couldn't tap my widgets open. They are a nightmare. I wish I could turn them off totally and just have a normal screen.

What I do for messages is just use Smart Unlock for messages and use the letter 'O' for Open and it works like a charm. My favourite feature on the phone is the Smart Unlock.

Or if I'm using the phone and get a message I'll just choose Messages and from the home screen. I never use the Widgets at all. The one widget that bugs me more than any other is the Network one that pops out all the time - sometimes it'll be on three screens at once.

Anyone get TV Out working yet?

No TV out cable with the phone. I did try a cable I had for a portable DVD player, but it didn't work. I wonder if it is a special cable for the Jet?

I think the video cable for some of the older iPods that output video via a 3.5mm socket would work with the Jet.

attachment.php?attachmentid=91669&stc=1&d=1253660296

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

cnocbui wrote: »
    I just bought A Jet and this is one area the Sony C905 I had briefly leaves the Jet for dead. With the C905, when you had a WiFi connection, all applications that use TCPIP data traffic would automatically just use the WiFi connection.

With the Jet, basically you have to configure each and every application to use WiFi, otherwise it will just use 3G which seems to be the default for all apps.

This is a dumb system and a PITA.

This issue of having to reconfigure each application to use either 3G or WiFi sounds like a PITA. Has anyone found a workaround for this?

Does the phone have \GPS/ or a-GPS. They are different. Is the route66 stuff anygood? Do they update the map data, 15% changes each year.

I have an n73, carl zeiss 3.2meg camera, it is great, how is the camera on the jet?

I use operate mini a ~lot~, it sounds like it doesn't work on the jet, is this true? what is netfront like? i never heard of it, bad opera is a deal killer for me.

I assume you can run skype on the jet? and the gmail app works fine too?

so many questions, bear with me! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭pwwillia

apologies if already asked but how do you change the screensaver cause i'm with meteor and the apprentice one is starting to bug me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

pwwillia wrote: »
    apologies if already asked but how do you change the screensaver cause i'm with meteor and the apprentice one is starting to bug me.

Yeah the apprentice stuff is god awful and really poor. I was thinking of flashing the phone with the generic samsung firmware, I don't want apprentice screensavers, backgrounds or widget.

T-Square wrote: »
    This issue of having to reconfigure each application to use either 3G or WiFi sounds like a PITA. Has anyone found a workaround for this?
    No - I use both 3G and wi-fi, but it's not really that much of a hassle to switch.
    Does the phone have \GPS/ or a-GPS. They are different. Is the route66 stuff anygood? Do they update the map data, 15% changes each year.
    a-gps. I've used Route-66 for driving a few times and think it works great. Not sure about map updates.
    I have an n73, carl zeiss 3.2meg camera, it is great, how is the camera on the jet?
    I love it. I think it's very good quality for a phone, and the video is good too.
    I use operate mini a ~lot~, it sounds like it doesn't work on the jet, is this true? what is netfront like? i never heard of it, bad opera is a deal killer for me.
    It works, but it runs as a Java app so isn't as fully-functional as a native app. The built-in web browser is easier to use. (Although still takes getting used to)
    I assume you can run skype on the jet? and the gmail app works fine too?
    No to skype. Yes to gmail.

Yes to gmail.

I find Gmail a nightmare on the Jet .. never remembers my details and the OK button never works first time so you hit it a bunch of times and guess what the icon below that is if you click is successful? .. Exit! :mad:

I have hit that so many times and nearly smashed the Jet off the wall which fury as I'd just entered my details ten times .. * sigh *

• Advertisement

:D

You do not need to configure the applications every time you use them, so unless you frequently switch between 3G and WiFi, it isn't too bad. It is dumb that there isn't master network switcher or that all IP traffic doesn't automatically use the WiFi if it is turned on and connected, like say the SE C905.

The GPS really only functions if there is no cloud cover. It is more novelty than useful.

The camera is a wonder and is better than the higher res 8MP one in the SE C905.

Jet3Boats.jpg

Advertisement