Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Jet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

cnocbui wrote: »
    You do not need to configure the applications every time you use them, so unless you frequently switch between 3G and WiFi, it isn't too bad. It is dumb that there isn't master network switcher or that all IP traffic doesn't automatically use the WiFi if it is turned on and connected, like say the SE C905.

The GPS really only functions if there is no cloud cover. It is more novelty than useful.

The camera is a wonder and is better than the higher res 8MP one in the SE C905.

Cloud cover + Jet GPS = lost. Oh sweet jebus.
    To be honest, the picture, while pretty, doesn't have the detail you'd expected from a 8 mega pixel phone.

I'm rapidly going off the jet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

T-Square wrote: »
    To be honest, the picture, while pretty, doesn't have the detail you'd expected from a 8 mega pixel phone.
    It's 5mp in the Jet.
    On behalf of Samsung and the entire jet-owning community, please accept my apologies. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The photo was not at full resolution, I had to downsize it in order to upload it.

The camera in the Jet is 5MP. I briefly had a SE C905 which had an 8MP camera. The camera in the jet is much better. Photos taken with the Jet have more detail than those taken with a C905

Here is section of that photo at the full resolution:

Jet3detail.jpg

Here is the sort of gorgeous detail you can expect from an SE C905 with 8MP camera:

C905detail.jpg

The first image I uploaded does not look as good as the original does when viewed on a PC. I think the Boards software does something like heavy compression which degrades it.

The C905 could not get a GPS fix with moderate cloud cover either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Just downloaded the new Opera Mini 5 beta and think it's excellent. It has cut and paste and tabs also.

In Lanscape Mobile mode it's grand. It remembers passwords too.

Obviousily you can't use Zoom but I find it way better than the onboard browser.

I just managed to turn on the second camera on the screen side and take a photo of myself.

• Advertisement

Nico22 wrote: »
    Just downloaded the new Opera Mini 5 beta and think it's excellent. It has cut and paste and tabs also.
    Did you get rid of the black bar at the bottom of the screen with the arrows etc. ? - Or do you find it's okay to use with that bar there?

I just managed to turn on the second camera on the screen side and take a photo of myself.
    How'd you manage that? (Okay, I can't see the point, but I'd love to know!) :)

Just go to advanced settings and you can change the navigation bar there from always on to off. To open a link in a new tab just hold your finger on it. I have mine in mobile view, full screen and landscape option.

tonyj wrote: »
    How'd you manage that? (Okay, I can't see the point, but I'd love to know!) :)

At your own risk..!!!!

From an idle screen where you park your widgets, call up the keypad and type in:

*#7412359#

You should then get a screen that is headed:

TMCcommand 1111

press the back button FOUR times to get to a menu headed by [1] Debug Screen

There will be a chequerboard keyboard at the bottom of the screen.

press 6 to correspond with the menu item that says [6] video.

the menu will change, press 5 for the menu item Internal Camera Capture [OFF}

The Off label will change to [ON]

Press the right call cancel button next to the jewel.

This returns you to the Idle screen. Launch the camera by pressing the shutter button or via the menus.

Be amazed and take a photo or video of yourself.

Repeat the process to put things back the way they were - ie the 5 key toggles [On] to [off]

I would strongly suggest not fiddling with anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭prunudo

Hey, just wondering if anybody else has noticed that some web pages wont load up. I can open the likes of google and met.ie no problem but recently the likes of aib.ie and facebook wont open: just a blank screen comes up. Other times they open fine.

The "revolving world" icon has stopped to idicate that the page has loaded but it just comes up as a blank screen.

The signal icon would show either G or G+. I,m with vodafone and have signed up to the extra mb downlaod tariff( ithink it's 500mb/ month). I haven't changed any settings since buying the phone.

I used to have a e65 and it never acted up with these sites.

So has anybody any idea's.
    Cheers

• Advertisement

jvan wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering if anybody else has noticed that some web pages wont load up. I can open the likes of google and met.ie no problem but recently the likes of aib.ie and facebook wont open: just a blank screen comes up. Other times they open fine.

The "revolving world" icon has stopped to idicate that the page has loaded but it just comes up as a blank screen.

The signal icon would show either G or G+. I,m with vodafone and have signed up to the extra mb downlaod tariff( ithink it's 500mb/ month). I haven't changed any settings since buying the phone.

I used to have a e65 and it never acted up with these sites.

So has anybody any idea's.
    Cheers

You mean with the onboard browser? If so - I got that all the time.

Now I use Opera Mini 5 Beta ..

Just point the onboard browser to http://www.operamini.com and select 'Try Opera Mini Beta 5' ..

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SUNGSAM

Hi,

Just got my Samsung Jet at the weekend, so far so good. The one thing I cannot find though is how to change the wallpaper when the phone is locked. Is this possible? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭vinniem

Hi, Got one of these last week and besides the battery its a pretty decent device. One question is, how do you assign speed-dial numbers as the manual is rubbish? Thanks

The 3.5 headphone (TV Out) Jack is gone on this Jet now too. It went on my first Jet also.

Am I really the only person that this has happened too. Google'd the net and not one other person with the complaint and yet I have had it twice with two different Jets.

The slightest movement of the headphones around the the jack and it switches off in one ear, move again and it's crackling and then another move and both ears have no sound.

The headphones also pop out of phone so so easy. I wish they had kept the old Samsung headphone connection. Phones are obsessed with 3.5's now and I don't see why.

Okay, people can use their own headphones but then they can't answer calls with their headphones. The old connection had a 3.5 on the Line of the headphone cable anyway and you could use other headphones and answer calls also - much better system.

Just looking at the 3.5 jack on the Jet and you can see it's sloped and as it's not flush. It was always going to give problems.

JetPic002.jpg

Is it possible to use the Mini-USB socket on the phone for headphones? If so - where could I get a set of these? Although, I suppose answering phonecalls would no longer be an option.

Was just getting used to the Jet too and now I'm fuming. Maybe I've just being unlucky and if I get a third it won't be an issue - hope so.

vinniem wrote: »
    Hi, Got one of these last week and besides the battery its a pretty decent device. One question is, how do you assign speed-dial numbers as the manual is rubbish? Thanks

Open the Phonebook.

In the very top line there is a drop down box which will likely say 'contacts' tap on it and select 'favorites'. A keypad will appear. Tap on a number and then you will be presented with the list of contacts. Tap on the contact you want assigned to that number.

When you have assigned your speed dials, you can make the process cooler and faster by using the Smart Unlock feature to make the speed dials quicker to access.

Go into Settings -> Smart Unlock -> Speed Dial and you will see a list of your speed dials. You can assign a character to each speed dial so then you don't even have to open the keypad, just draw the character you have assigned to each speed dial number.

I would also suggest you look at the Photo Contacts function as well. There is a widget for it you can put on an idle screen giving you yet another quick and slick way of dialing a favourite contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭vinniem

Thanks cnocbui :):)

Nico22 wrote: »
    The 3.5 headphone (TV Out) Jack is gone on this Jet now too. It went on my first Jet also.

Am I really the only person that this has happened too.

Probably. :rolleyes:
    The slightest movement of the headphones around the the jack and it switches off in one ear, move again and it's crackling and then another move and both ears have no sound.
    This happens with every single 3.5mm plug you have inserted, or just one in particular?
    The headphones also pop out of phone so so easy. I wish they had kept the old Samsung headphone connection. Phones are obsessed with 3.5's now and I don't see why.
    Because most people, like myself, hate with a passion the klutzy, stupid, annoying and frustration inducing f****** proprietary non standard plugs like you get on SE phones, for instance.

I guess some people just enjoy inflicting pain on themselves and some don't.
    Okay, people can use their own headphones but then they can't answer calls with their headphones.
    Oh yes they can.
    The old connection had a 3.5 on the Line of the headphone cable anyway and you could use other headphones and answer calls also - much better system.
    Have you looked closely at the supplied headset accessory cable?
    Headsetextender.jpg

See that little hole next to the 3.5mm socket? That is for the inbuilt microphone.
    Just looking at the 3.5 jack on the Jet and you can see it's sloped and as it's not flush. It was always going to give problems.
    I have plugged numerous different 3.5mm plugs into mine and none have given any problems whatsoever.
    Was just getting used to the Jet too and now I'm fuming. Maybe I've just being unlucky and if I get a third it won't be an issue - hope so.
    Third time lucky maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lv99782

tonyj wrote: »
    Tried it out properly the other day. Once you've installed Route 66 and set up the GPS properly (by doing the location data download thing) and make sure you're outside, then it works quite well.

I paid for a one-day license of the voice turn-by-turn navigation in Route66, and set a driving route to Glasnevin.

Worked great. I just put it on the passenger seat and let it talk me through the turns.

You'll never get an accurate signal indoors or inside buildings though. The best you can hope for indoors is a mobile mast location to within 1500m.

Hi,

I bought this nice phone from Carphonewarehouse, it is O2 PAYG.

I installed the Route66 and it run well, but haven't try the voice navigation yet, do I need to pay for that? It ask me to activate if I use route A-B, do I need to pay for activation?

When I use the Route66 my phone still go to idle mode and lock, is there anyway to turn that off automatically when Route66 is running?

Another problem I've is that not able to install 3 Skype and WLM, when I tried to install it, it give me Certificate Error, anyone can help?

Thanks

lv99782 wrote: »
    Hi,

I bought this nice phone from Carphonewarehouse, it is O2 PAYG.

I installed the Route66 and it run well, but haven't try the voice navigation yet, do I need to pay for that?

I don't know about the charging for R66, but there is a free (at least at the moment) GPS navigation service and App called Nav4all you could try:

http://www.nav4all.com/site2/www.nav4all.com/enguk/index_install.php

Obviously there would be some data charges but the App is designed to minimise them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I'm just going to jump in here with an educated guess.

Guess : Similar to the iPhone, the Samsung Jet uses a 4-pin 3.5mm jack, as shown in the picture posted above. See how it's in 4 segments as opposed to the normal 3? That's because it has an extra segment for the microphone (the one nearest the plastic plug), and as a result is slightly longer. This 4-pin jack/socket setup can cause problems when using 3-pin 3.5mm stereo headphones (with no mic, ie normal earphones) as the segments don't align properly. Try pulling the plug out slightly, this should help.

By the way, if you want a good recommendation for a 4-pin earphone/mic combination, try the Etymotic Hf2s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bastinado

Bought the Jet today - really like it although it will take me a while to get used to the layout and features (previously had a bog-standard Nokia).

In terms of the widgets on the side panel, I've pulled a few of them on to main display. Is there a way to remove them or put them back on the panel? They look very messy and I didn't mean to place them there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 breeg

You can either drag them back onto the sidebar or if you want to delete them,you can go into the settings and untick the ones you don't want to see and it also leaves space for other widgets that will be out in the future.

Because most people, like myself, hate with a passion the klutzy, stupid, annoying and frustration inducing f****** proprietary non standard plugs like you get on SE phones, for instance.

I use my own headphones also but via the 3.5 on the line - I'm not suggesting people have no use for a 3.5.
    I guess some people just enjoy inflicting pain on themselves and some don't. ..

What?
    Have you looked closely at the supplied headset accessory cable?
    See that little hole next to the 3.5mm socket? That is for the inbuilt microphone..

Are you serious? What part of my post would make you think that I didn't know the handsfree headphones had an inbuilt mic?

My point was that, as there is a 3.5 jack on the line-in, then I am not bothered if there is not one on the phone itself.

Also, you say when you use the phone's 3.5 jack with your own headphones you can answer calls via the headphones - how?

I mean, without the mic on the line-in how could that be possible?
    I have plugged numerous different 3.5mm plugs into mine and none have given any problems whatsoever.

It's not a problem with the headphones (have tried many and same issue with all) - it's the 3.5 socket.

Have had two jets now in as many months and same issue with both sockets packing up on me. New one due tomorrow.

Well got my phone back today:D had to send it back because i put a dodgy GIF screensaver on and screwed it up.So i have stuck to my Iron Maiden GIFS and they work great.The letter that came with it says it has been updated withthe latest firmware and i am now a very happy chappy.All i have to do now is get it back to the way i had it before i Fecked it up:eek:

I have just downloaded some games for my phone and put them on my phone as i was told to,but all i get is unsupported file type message?. does my phone need to be unlocked as i currently on O2 PayGo ?
    Cheers for any help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

breeg wrote: »
    I have just downloaded some games for my phone and put them on my phone as i was told to,but all i get is unsupported file type message?. does my phone need to be unlocked as i currently on O2 PayGo ?
    Cheers for any help guys.

I had a Vodafone Jet... Just returned a couple of days ago: google maps opened once but didn't work. Since then it only says 'java error. Invalid format' when I try to start it. Went to m.google.com with jet's built-in browser - download page says clearly: 'The Samsung Jet is NOT compatible with the Google maps app'!!! Seems Vodafone Ireland don't read much ;)
    Nav4all and various other, pretty standard java apps won't install either... But for Vodafone to slap a non-working Maps app onto a gps phone and lock it, so you can't delete it is quite something. Hey, can you imagine me ever trying to sell the phone, and an interested party tries to start Google maps and all s/he gets is an error message? Grreat!

Interestingly Vodafone are quite aware of the issue.
    Some widgets I tried to download from Samsung's own widgets page don't install either...lol...
    Obviously, the Jet really IS smarter than a smartphone...has its own mind even. Curiously, check when/IF google maps opens on your jet: vodafone actually 'branded' that Google product. Just underneath the loading bar you'll see 'vodafone'... Wtf?

Funny, while we're at it: dolfin browser...tsssk Flipper's in trouble. Can load 5 pages iin the background, right? Yeah, but it one of them has more than, hm, 3 pics in it, the browser just crashes... Just like in pre-release versions a good 7 months ago.

Samsung obviously want to become market leaders, and they do so by flooding the market with weekly, sometimes daily launches. Seems they never test anymore.

Mind you, my 'old' pixon became someone's camera. It too stopped most java apps after one attempt to start them. Coincidentally it too was Voda-branded.
    The networks should be banned from firmware tinkery! Let them lock a theme and a screensaver, ok... But leave the bloody OS be!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Folks,

When I connect my phone to NPS and click Update, I get an error saying this phone does not support software upgrade.

Anyone come across this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Folks,

I have another issue - if Im on a call the screen goes black and I end up having to press the lock button on the side to get the screen function back. Is this common?

Google maps works fine on mine,also have route66 navigator on and have no problems with that either.The built in games also work"for what good they are"trial games why??.Its just all the games i have put on with the jar and jad files,just keep getting the same message.

• Advertisement

Folks,

When I connect my phone to NPS and click Update, I get an error saying this phone does not support software upgrade.

Anyone come across this?

A few of us got the response when trying to upgrade. So we had to go elsewhere.

Advertisement