Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Jet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Folks,

I have another issue - if Im on a call the screen goes black and I end up having to press the lock button on the side to get the screen function back. Is this common?

This is to save battery life me thinks.

When you hold the phone to your head you are covering the light sensor on the front and so the display goes out - same thing happens if you cover he sensor with your finger.

Pain in the proverbial ..

Nico, you seem quite good at answering questions concerned with the Jet, any ideas what this means ?
    Would someone be able to help me please ? I purchased a Samsung Jet unlocked but which is originally Vodafone branded, but when I go to put my Sim card in, it takes my PIN but then asks me to "Enter Network Code". My sim is an O2 sim.

Can someone help me out here ? Does this mean the phone was not unlocked properly ?

Nico, you seem quite good at answering questions concerned with the Jet, any ideas what this means ?

Means the phone is still locked and whoever said it was unlocked has a touch of the Delboys about them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Nico22 wrote: »
    A few of us got the response when trying to upgrade. So we had to go elsewhere.

Hey Nico,

Thanks for that. Can you point me in the right direction? Even by PM would be fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

strecker wrote: »
    I had a Vodafone Jet... Just returned a couple of days ago: google maps opened once but didn't work. Since then it only says 'java error. Invalid format' when I try to start it. Went to m.google.com with jet's built-in browser - download page says clearly: 'The Samsung Jet is NOT compatible with the Google maps app'!!! Seems Vodafone Ireland don't read much ;)
    Nav4all and various other, pretty standard java apps won't install either

...snip...

The networks should be banned from firmware tinkery! Let them lock a theme and a screensaver, ok... But leave the bloody OS be!!!

I bought my Jet SIM free, though I am with Vodafone.

Google maps works fine and I had no problem installing and using Nav4all.

Did you try doing these things hooked up to WiFi or via Vodafone's network?

• Advertisement

Folks,

I have another issue - if Im on a call the screen goes black and I end up having to press the lock button on the side to get the screen function back. Is this common?

This is to save battery. I find that if I move mine away from my head the screen lights up again.

If you google 'proximity sensor samsung jet' you will see that several review sites claim it has a proximity sensor like the iPhone. I don't think it is the light sensor as if you cover it, the screen does not go black, just dims a little.

breeg wrote: »
    Google maps works fine on mine,also have route66 navigator on and have no problems with that either.The built in games also work"for what good they are"trial games why??.Its just all the games i have put on with the jar and jad files,just keep getting the same message.

You can't install Java apps and games on the Jet by putting the JAD and JAR files on it via your computer. You have to use the browser to open a link to a JAD file which contains a pointer to the URL which tells it where to find the JAR file.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SUNGSAM

Hi, has anyone managed to get a decent case or skin for the Jet, they seem few and far between. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 breeg

SUNGSAM wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone managed to get a decent case or skin for the Jet, they seem few and far between. Thanks
    I bought one of these,it doesn't cover the screen but it isnt too bad.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACK-RUBBER-SILICONE-CASE-COVER-FOR-SAMSUNG-S8000-JET_W0QQitemZ270459450971QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches?hash=item3ef8a3b65b

And for 2 quid not complaining.I also bought some plastic screen covers but they were a waste of time.Just have a look on ebay there are all sorts of different types of cases.

cnocbui wrote: »
    You can't install Java apps and games on the Jet by putting the JAD and JAR files on it via your computer. You have to use the browser to open a link to a JAD file which contains a pointer to the URL which tells it where to find the JAR file.
    So is there any way of getting these games onto my phone??

• Advertisement

breeg wrote: »
    So is there any way of getting these games onto my phone??

Yes!

I have just this evening found out how.

Get the .jar game onto your PC.

go to this website:

http://www.melodiasgsm.com/index_en.php

upload your .jar file to the site. You will then be directed to go to [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://wap.melodiasgsm.com/[/FONT] using your phones browser and to enter the code the site gives you in the box (tap on it to open the keypad and enter the number)

Then tap on the link below the box you entered the code in to download and install the file. The link is in a foreign language but it is dead obvious.

That's it, the phone should install the game.

The site generates a JAD file from the JAR you uploaded.

Yes!

I have just this evening found out how.

Get the .jar game onto your PC.

go to this website:

http://www.melodiasgsm.com/index_en.php

upload your .jar file to the site. You will then be directed to go to [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://wap.melodiasgsm.com/[/font] using your phones browser and to enter the code the site gives you in the box (tap on it to open the keypad and enter the number)

Then tap on the link below the box you entered the code in to download and install the file. The link is in a foreign language but it is dead obvious.

That's it, the phone should install the game.

The site generates a JAD file from the JAR you uploaded.

Mate that is excellent,just tried it with a game and it works perfectly.:D
    Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

Hi just wondering has anybody tried installing a different sat nav program, i have Garmin mobile xt on my wifes n95 and find it to be much better than the Route 66 that comes with the Jet.If any one can help it would be much appreciated.

darkmark79 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering has anybody tried installing a different sat nav program, i have Garmin mobile xt on my wifes n95 and find it to be much better than the Route 66 that comes with the Jet.If any one can help it would be much appreciated.

You could give this a go:

http://www.nav4all.nl/site2/www.nav4all.nl/dut/index.php

Best one I've found by far is here: http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-ECELL-BLACK-LEATHER-FLIP-CASE-FOR-SAMSUNG-S8000-JET_W0QQitemZ200396793144QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches?hash=item2ea8946538. These are better than the silicone skin ones in my opinion as the silicone ones have corroded the back of my Microsoft Zune in the past, no idea if it was from trapped condensation or what but the flip leather one has a protective shell around it and all the funcionts are accessible with it on. Yes, it is slightly thicker but completely protects the phone from drops also.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

Thanks Cnocbui, i heard that nav4all is pretty basic but i'll give it a try and see how it goes,i'll let u know how i get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Prunty

I recently upgraded phone after spending 5 blissful, or ignorant?, years with a nokia brick I had gotten for my 18th birthday. Given that I was a relatively new player on the mobile phone market and I suffer from a rather crippling case of stingyitis, buying a smartphone was a big decision which was weighed up over a quite drawn out period. I eventually opted for the Samsung Jet as the new Iphone 3GS is a small fortune and the Jet has a better processor. I have had the Jet for two weeks now, or should I say I have had 2 different Jets for one week each. I have found the Jet easy to use and apart from the lack of apps available for installation I haven't had any problems save the one major one that forced me to return the initial phone. After a few days with my first phone I noticed a blur in the middle of the screen, similar to an oil slick, when in a certain light, tilted in a certain way or even when the phone had been in use for a while it remained visible on the screen when the phone was turned off. I brought it back to the O2 store expecting to be quickly shown the door I had just entered through but to my surprise and delight they changed it straight away. Only problem was when he showed me the new phone, before it had even been turned on, I noticed the blur. I decided I'd give it a shot anyway but the problem has reared it's blurry head again.I've found a thread on a vodafone site of people describing the same problem http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31541. I just want to get other people's input before going back and getting an iphone instead. Have others encountered this issue or has their amoled screen worked flawlessly? As I said I really like this phone and the slight smudge on the screen is not a major problem but for the amount it cost's the blur is an eyesore and I can't help feeling it's gonna get progressivley worse. Any opinions are appreciated. Anyone else experience this?

darkmark79 wrote: »
    Thanks Cnocbui, i heard that nav4all is pretty basic but i'll give it a try and see how it goes,i'll let u know how i get on.

It isn't well configured for the Jet but can be got to work.

I just tried AmazeGPS and it sort of worked the first time but on subsequent tries it just reported there were no satellites, when there were. I tried the version for a S8300. Might try some other versions.

http://www.amazegps.com/index.php?page=register&language=international

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

3 days ago the Jet got a nice new FW update which included -

-Noticable Faster menus
    -Better touch sensitivity
    -You can change icons emplacement like on iphone now
    -Internet browsing is faster

Seems nice :) I'll be picking mine up for my upgrade next week, I was going to go for a W995 as the Jets gotten pretty mixed reviews but after hearing about the FW update i think i'll give it a bang. Anyone got the latest FW on yet??

Too bad Samsung can't get a device out finished on it's release day, instead the first buyers are just beta testers! No wonder it's getting mixed reviews.

rizzee wrote: »
    3 days ago the Jet got a nice new FW update which included -

Which version is it? Who did it for you?

• Advertisement

If you read my post I'll be getting my upgrade next week in-store. I presume the next FW can be gotten via Samsung website/studio or the such? Got that info off another site :)

I got a pair of special scissors for cutting leather in the house and so I just cut out an exact 'screen sized' shape in the leather cover that came with it .. does the job.

Don't use any ole scissors though or the leather will splay out. I also have a plastic screen protector on it ..

rizzee wrote: »
    If you read my post I'll be getting my upgrade next week in-store. I presume the next FW can be gotten via Samsung website/studio or the such? Got that info off another site :)

Sorry :)

A few of us have upgraded our firmware to the latest (unofficial) one and haven't had the bonuses that you have spoke of. Do you have a link to the Samsung website where this is discussed?

No problems mate :)

I just heard it off a lad at Mobile-Review, i'm sure you've heard of it great site! ( Not advertising BTW :P)

Post number 75 here - http://forum2.mobile-review.com/showthread.php?t=85266&page=2

I have asked him on the thread what version firmware is it but he hasn't replied yet, so whenever he does i'll let you know!

Also heres a dedicated Samsung site and a link to the Jets forum with all news & firmware and everything to do with the phone
    http://darkforestgroup.com/forum/index.php?board=34.0

Havn't really had a good look around it yet, you might find the FW somewhere there!

Cheers

Prunty wrote: »
    After a few days with my first phone I noticed a blur in the middle of the screen, similar to an oil slick, when in a certain light, tilted in a certain way or even when the phone had been in use for a while it remained visible on the screen when the phone was turned off.

.. new phone, before it had even been turned on, I noticed the blur. I decided I'd give it a shot anyway but the problem has reared it's blurry head again.

Have others encountered this issue or has their amoled screen worked flawlessly? As I said I really like this phone and the slight smudge on the screen is not a major problem but for the amount it cost's the blur is an eyesore and I can't help feeling it's gonna get progressivley worse. Any opinions are appreciated. Anyone else experience this?

Tut tut .. who has not been reading the full thread? :)

Only kidding. Yeah, I have had this problem ..
    I keep getting this shimmering long oval effect down the centre of the screen. It looks like a puddle looks after it rains - you know that weird effect?
    Just Google 'ing about there concering that 'shimmering' I was talking about and it would seem to be an LCD leak :eek:

The thing is that the problem comes and goes and I'm afraid that when it gets to them, that it won't be visable. I don't even know what makes it worse as it appears just randomly.
    I'm jealous as my screen is totally busted now. The LCD is leaking all over the inside - just my luck.

Got the phone replaced and the problem hasn't come back so maybe they had an issue with one batch of LCDs or something.

My only problem now is that on both Jets the headphone sockets have become faulty and yet it would appear everyone else's is fine. I'm jinxed when it comes to phones :o

You can download the new firmware from DarkforestGroup - FW S8000XEII2, they also give a detailed guide for flashing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

I'm guessing if you update the firmware yourself you'll void your warranty?

Yep, but I suspect it would not be impossible to persuade Samsung to do it for you if you complain about something the firmware fixes. Then your warranty would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

how is everyone getting along with this phone? upgrade due on meteor and thinking of getting it,
    any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

i got this phone from meteor and i have to say a i quite liked it. Main complaint is the lack of decent GPS software with it. I've actually returned it since to get the firmware upgrade done. I'll let ya know how it goes after i get it back (hopefully next few days)

Advertisement