Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Jet

Comments

This may have been mentioned in this thread but I'm not quite sure at the minute.

But does anyone know how to make the phone use the wireless connection as priority ahead of using up credit ?

As when I click to go on the net, it seems to use up my credit even though there is a free wi-fi spot available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

This may have been mentioned in this thread but I'm not quite sure at the minute.

But does anyone know how to make the phone use the wireless connection as priority ahead of using up credit ?

As when I click to go on the net, it seems to use up my credit even though there is a free wi-fi spot available.

you have to manually switch, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

metalfest wrote: »
    how is everyone getting along with this phone? upgrade due on meteor and thinking of getting it,
    any advice?

The Jet is a great phone, let down somewhat by the OS. If you want lots of apps and great GPS, look elsewhere. If you want a phone with a really good camera, that can take very good photos and impressive movies and which has a fabulous screen for viewing them, the Jet is a good option. The fact that it has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack makes putting up with some of the niggles worth while, IMO.

The jet is very thin and sits in a pocket nicely, unlike many others.

If you frequently access the internet via 3G and WiFi, the Jet could annoy you quickly, because it won't automatically switch IP traffic to the WiF connection, you have to do that manually. If you mainly use one or the other, it isn't a bother and it works well.

The really good features outweigh the negatives for me so I am very happy with mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

cnocbui wrote: »
    The Jet is a great phone, let down somewhat by the OS. If you want lots of apps and great GPS, look elsewhere. If you want a phone with a really good camera, that can take very good photos and impressive movies and which has a fabulous screen for viewing them, the Jet is a good option. The fact that it has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack makes putting up with some of the niggles worth while, IMO.

The jet is very thin and sits in a pocket nicely, unlike many others.

If you frequently access the internet via 3G and WiFi, the Jet could annoy you quickly, because it won't automatically switch IP traffic to the WiF connection, you have to do that manually. If you mainly use one or the other, it isn't a bother and it works well.

The really good features outweigh the negatives for me so I am very happy with mine.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mass

Paulj wrote: »
    I'm guessing if you update the firmware yourself you'll void your warranty?

I upgraded to S8000XEII2 just today on an O2 network locked phone. Was easy peasy. I do like the fact that the icons can now be moved aroundthe Menu screens, so you can bring all your favourite icons into one of the three Menu screens, but it would be better still if you could move any of them to the main widgets screen.

Screen touch response is much better, camera response is faster. The web browser has improved. There's a new Facebook widget which looks cool but is far too slow & unresponsive. Flash has been improved, however Youtube still has problems playing back anything with decent quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I recently got one of these phones after having a bog standard nokia for a while - I wanted something with a few more bells and whistles.

I'd definitely reccomend it, I'm very happy with it. I'm still playing around with it nearly two weeks after getting it, and that's always a great sign.

Some of my peeves tho - maybe someone will know how to fix one or two of these:

1. It annoys me the way you can't switch between 3G and wi-fi - that's been discussed at length already.

2. The touchscreen is a bit fiddly when you're in a call - I seem to be switching randomly to speaker and hold when I'm on a call.

3. The menu / widget system is a bit of a pain, to be honest. I'd rather one screen I could put anything I wanted on than three screens I had to fill with crap.

the minors:

-you should be able to choose no background
    -the profiles widget shouldn't expand by default
    -you should be able to put any item in the menu on the desktop
    -what's the point in allowing people to remove the network id widget if you're just going to put it back?
    -more widgets! can't believe there isn't a twitter widget
    -you should be able to delete all the vodafone bookmarks, or at least put the user defined bookmarks first, so you don't have to scroll down everytime.
    -Samsung, "rolling dice" is not a game. Don't insult me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

tbh wrote: »
    -you should be able to choose no background
    -the profiles widget shouldn't expand by default
    -you should be able to put any item in the menu on the desktop
    -what's the point in allowing people to remove the network id widget if you're just going to put it back?
    -more widgets! can't believe there isn't a twitter widget
    -you should be able to delete all the vodafone bookmarks, or at least put the user defined bookmarks first, so you don't have to scroll down everytime.
    -Samsung, "rolling dice" is not a game. Don't insult me!

+ You should be apple to lock Landscape mode or turn it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Nico22 wrote: »
    + You should be apple to lock Landscape mode or turn it off.

Fanboy
    :P

rizzee wrote: »
    Fanboy
    :P

LMAO!!! :D:D

I was rushing out to cinema to watch Point Break and made a few typos right accross Boards :)

On Motors a 'Yup' became 'You' ..

Apple shoud be 'Able' .. I have never owed an Apple in my life.

Wait, no I have owned a few thousand now that I think of it. Just none that didn't contain fructose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Prunty

Just returned my phone again, hopefully Ill have better luck with this one. Thanks for the help Outlaw. Jack still giving you trouble?

Anyone tried using the tv out function yet?

• Advertisement

Prunty wrote: »
    Just returned my phone again, hopefully Ill have better luck with this one. Thanks for the help Outlaw. Jack still giving you trouble?

Let you know when my third arrives also :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

I must say, that for me the Jet is absolutely flawless. But I got a bit of a shock today when it told me my SMS memory was full, with 230 in the inbox and 190 in the outbox. My U600 used to hold 1000 msgs so this was a bit of a surprise tbh. First issue I've had with it though.

Out of curiosity, I'm happy with the phone and don't really want any usless widgets or apps, but will we ever be able to download apps for this phone ???

Out of curiosity, I'm happy with the phone and don't really want any usless widgets or apps, but will we ever be able to download apps for this phone ???

Samsung App Store

when the fu*k did that site launch ? Never knew about it.

when the fu*k did that site launch ? Never knew about it.

Nico22 OutlawPete hears things .. :D

Didn't post before as the Jet not supported yet but this is where they will be at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

have this phone and am not really gone on it. everytime i take it out of my pocket i press the red end call button, as its the only part of the phone you can grip, :mad: any fixes on this?

and the screen lock is a bit pants too. Stylish phone nonetheless.

bluefinger wrote: »
    have this phone and am not really gone on it. everytime i take it out of my pocket i press the red end call button, as its the only part of the phone you can grip, :mad: any fixes on this?

and the screen lock is a bit pants too. Stylish phone nonetheless.

Use Smart Unlock .. the letter 'O' for open is what I prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Nico22 OutlawPete hears things .. :D

Didn't post before as the Jet not supported yet but this is where they will be at least.

harsh :P bringing up all the hopes only to crush them

metalfest wrote: »
    harsh :P bringing up all the hopes only to crush them

Ah, but he asked 'would we be ever able to download apps' .. me thinks this looks a maybe :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Use Smart Unlock .. the letter 'O' for open is what I prefer.

Thanks outlaw pete, I use smartlock with "C" coz i'm lazy. :) Doesn't help with the issues all the same though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Well I got mine on Vodafone upgrade yesterday. Never had a touch screen before but decided the Jet seemed good bar the problems mentioned here in particular vodafone and their late firmware.

I'm still in test mode but one thing I have noticed which is very annoying and not really mentioned anywhere is that the appointments in the calendar are limited to 15 characters, which is ridiculously low for a smartphone. So lost some info when I synced with my outlook. I now have to abbreviate all my appointments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Its not a smartphone mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

rizzee wrote: »
    Its not a smartphone mate.
    http://jet.samsungmobile.com/
    Please note the title of the page 'Samsung Jet - Smarter than Smartphone'

I did however find the details section to the appointments on the calendar. Its an extra field but lots of space for the extra text I want to add. At least I won't lose everything but its not visible on the day view :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Hahaha...
    C'mon - the smartphone definition was always ambiguous, and then along came a non-multitasking, non-3rdparty-apps-able iPhone, and it all went meaningless! If the iPhone's a smartphone the Jet is too... Neither are in my opinion, but who cares :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Just got my Samsung Jet back after its "software upgrade" through the 3G Store i bought it in. I recently bought a Jet on Meteor and was fairly happy with it other than a few minor issues:
    - GPS didn't seem to work in Google Maps.
    - Didn't come with GPS 'navigation' software
    - Crashed a few times when messing about with 3rd party java apps

I was hoping they would upgrade to a newer fw version because i read online it improves touchscreen among other things. Anyway, i got it back but they don't seem to have upgraded the firmware. Had to wait 2 and half weeks. While the fw version is the same, they do seem to have fixed the Google Maps problem - i'm happy about that.

Does anyone know how to remove the Meteor/Apprentice branded 'unlock' wallpaper? Its the picture you get when you press a button while the phone is locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Can any Jet owners answer me this:
    Can you change the volume and/or track in the media player with the hardware buttons on the side of the phone like with Sony Ericssons (press changes vol, long press changes track)?
    I'm used to changing the music with the phone still in my pocket, buttons are easy to press through my jeans. :)

I have a G900 and looking at the Jet as a possible replacement, Symbian OS crashes a lot and resetting by removing the battery every week or so is getting old, and the Opera browser is too small and has no flash support.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Can any Jet owners answer me this:
    Can you change the volume and/or track in the media player with the hardware buttons on the side of the phone like with Sony Ericssons (press changes vol, long press changes track)?
    I'm used to changing the music with the phone still in my pocket, buttons are easy to press through my jeans. :)

I have a G900 and looking at the Jet as a possible replacement, Symbian OS crashes a lot and resetting by removing the battery every week or so is getting old, and the Opera browser is too small and has no flash support.

No, you can't. Not on mine at least - but it has more bugs than any other phone I ever used (vodafone branded).

The built in browser of the Jet has some nice features, but it's not totally fit for release yet - dolphin was developed inhouse by Samsung, and is full of contradictions: you can have multiple tabs/load pages in the background; BUT in my experience (and that of many reviewers) just 1 heavy page is enough to crash the browser. I also lacks copy/paste - which I find ridiculous in a 2009 'smarter than a smartphone' flagship handset.

As you mention the musicplayer: finding tracks quickly is not easy: on mine at least there's no 'search' like on say the iphone or Nokia's s60 phones. Gee, my e71 is a biz phone, but I can just start typing a song title or artist and after 2 letters I get results. Not so on the Jet.

Camera is great, but the gallery is a bit iffy - scrolling looks and works great when you have 10 pics on it. When you got loads more it takes ages, and in landscape mode the accelerometre plays mayhem...tilt the phone a degree too much and the pics fly by.seemingly unstoppable.

I know Jets with Samsung's generic firmware get better results and fewer bugs. Branded, imho, it's a nightmare. Everytime I try to install a java app that isn't 100% compatible all other java apps stopp working as well. I have had to hard reset so many times, I stop storing anything on phone's memory.

If you buy one, get it simfree/unbranded. If you get it branded, be prepared to have it unlocked, flashed straight away.

But again: mine is Vodafone-branded. Can't speak for O2's or Meteor's versions.

To me it's the worst handset I have ever owned. Loads of potential, some nice features, but overall rushed and thoughtlessly designed.(frankly, the original Pixon was better overall in every aspect but eyecandy) And what Samsung cobbled together firmware-wise for Vodafone is close to criminal.

No wonder Vodafone stopped selling it in record time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You can change the volume with the hard buttons on the left side.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    You can change the volume with the hard buttons on the left side.

Oh..wtf? Thx again, Vodafone. Not working on my miracle jet :x

Advertisement