Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Cinemas Naas

Options
  • 16-08-2009 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I was dissapointed that the huge thread on Storm Cinemas naas was closed and I believe that if people have something to say they should be allowed to voice that opinion within reason. I am a huge advocate of getting a newbridge cinema but unfortunatly I do not see one on the horizon soon! In the previous thread I made a point to say that I didnt really have a problem with the place and I actualy visited quite regularly. In fact I opened my profile on this Boards.ie thing to explain what I thought. I visited yesterday and saw Inglorious B****s and loved it. I saw it in the Big Screen and it was great. No complaints, in fact quite the opposite. The girl I was dealing with was lovely and she made my food cheaper for me. A1. I can see a size difference between Liffey Vally and Storm but otherwise great!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The other thread was closed because some participants couldn't play within the rules.

"Within reason" being the key phrase here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

For me personally it's not so much the cinema that puts me off going, it's the annoying people who go there.

Mobile phone users.
    Stinky nacho eaters.
    Chatterboxes & noisy people.

etc
    etc
    etc.

These are the things that stop me going to the cinema as much as I'd like to :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Do you still have to pay for the car park?

I haven't set foot in the place since they introduced this and have no intention of doing so until it's stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭corribdude

Its still a joke of a cinema, I had the misfortune to end up in it again recently for drag me to hell surprise, surprise I had to go out to the staff at the beginning to get them to align the screen properly, and then the film ended up being ruined anyway by other customers who kept talking/laughing during it. That was all the reminder I needed as to why I had been driving past it and going to liffey valley for the previous 8 months. Also had friends who had the sound cut on them continuosly during transformers.

Let's keep the thread on topic. Don't derail it so soon folks..

• Advertisement

I am on topic. Do you still have to pay for parking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Niall F

Last time I was there (about 2 months ago), you had to pay for parking. Not a fan of that. I wouldn't mind as much if the barrier let you out quicker. Queue builds up quickly. Other thing I miss is the Hot Nuts. They were gorgeous. 2 large tubs of those and a coke going in and I'd watch anything. Moreso than anything else, that has kind of made me go elsewhere. Used to be there about every 3 weeks for my 'fix'.
    But overall, I do think it's a nice place to go. I do wish there were a cinema here in Newbridge though. I think that's the way to go and hopefully it will happen at some stage.
    But experience is usually good. Has been bad ones too which have been already posted so it obviously isn't a once off, but not enough to stop me going altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Damn!!

Only Been there twice, horrible experience both times, again not so much the cinema but the dregs of humanity with their feet up on the char by my head, constantly chattering and ringing people.

With a bit of control by the staff it'd be a decent cinema, but i doubt anyone wants the hassle.

we all want a cinema closer than dublin, and if i hear good reports maybe i'll go back... until then, it's liffey valley..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cinemagoer

I was there today to see GI Joe. I had to pay for parking but I was out in minutes. Grand, not a bother! Dunno what all of the fuss is about really.

cinemagoer wrote: »
    I was there today

For work by any chance? ;)

Your vigorous defence of Storm is a bit suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cinemagoer

ha, I wish, the I would love to work in the film industry. I am actually a builder so work is hard to come by. Its just an easy place to take the kids. I was at K-Bowl as well today. Do I work there too? Any way, I think I will bow out of this thread because there is obviously no point in me fighting about something I cant control. I think the carpark in the place is probably causing some issues, but as somewhere to bring my family. I am just trying to do a business a favour that has done me one through the recession. Obviously some people believe that and agenda must always be at play here. See you on the big screen!:)

cinemagoer wrote: »
    I had to pay for parking but I was out in minutes. Grand, not a bother! Dunno what all of the fuss is about really.

Because this is celtic tiger greed in all it's glory and because of this I will not step inside the door of the place. If it was in the town centre where space was at a premium then fair enough.

We've been rode up and down the road for 10+ years now by every tom dick and harry in business in Ireland. I'm delighted that lots of them are now gone to the wall and the more that follow the better. We need a complete cull of conmen and gangsters in Irish business society and our lovely recession is doing an excellent job of it so far and long may it continue. I just feel sorry that some ordinary people have to suffer by losing jobs also because of this vermin.

There are lots of bisiness's out there that have made the decision to reduce prices drastically to encourage consumer spending. Well done to them and a lot of them are busier than ever now because of this. OK, profits may not be as high but I don't see any of them on the dole queue?

I was charged €14.95 last week for an indian TAKEAWAY. Are they insane? Never again will I go inside the door of that place. If more people did the same then all these scum would either close or cop on and charge consumer prices.

Sorry for going off topic.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Let's keep the thread on topic. Don't derail it so soon folks..

*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

well newbridge will have the cinema within months, they are putter it in where it was planned beside Debenhams.
    its just a temporary solution until they actually build the proper one on its own site.
    oh and an on topic post, storm is horrible due to all the scum that frequent it.
    its a teenage magnet,
    they spend their parents money to go to a show and all they do is jump around, mess with their phones, throw food.
    never had as many propblems anywhere else.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    well newbridge will have the cinema within months, they are putter it in where it was planned beside Debenhams.
    its just a temporary solution until they actually build the proper one on its own site.

Do you have a link to your source?
    oh and an on topic post, storm is horrible due to all the scum that frequent it.
    its a teenage magnet,
    they spend their parents money to go to a show and all they do is jump around, mess with their phones, throw food.
    never had as many propblems anywhere else.

To be fair, this could happen anywhere and who's to say it won't be the same in Whitewater (if it's ever built)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

As a former cinema employee, I've seen just about all the antics kids (and grownups) get up to when the lights dim. If we saw a large group of kids or teenagers going into a film that looked like they might cause hassle to other people in there, we'd either have someone in there throughout most of the film, or constantly have people going in and out. Anyone we saw causing hassle we seperated, and if it continued, we removed them. If they we in there on their own, we left them be.
    Customers were usually fairly quick to let us know if they were being disrupted. And its up to the customer to let the staff know if anything's wrong. Otherwise they can't sort it out.

Back OT, I never go to naas anymore. Even though its closer by at least 30mins. The place is badly airconditioned and always packed. Aswell as that the screens are too small, and usually dirty.

keefg wrote: »

To be fair, this could happen anywhere and who's to say it won't be the same in Whitewater (if it's ever built)?

true. kids should be banned from public spaces until they reach 18 years of age.

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/New-cinema-to-be-in.5567494.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

keefg wrote: »

I don't have a link, but I've also heard this.
    I've also heard that the facilities are already there, but I'm skeptical about that one.

And it probably will be the same in the WhiteWater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

correct me if im wrong but i was told the other day that the new cinema in newbridge is going up where the demolition is going on now at the side of dunnes, behind the credit union carpark

can anyone else confirm this

true. kids should be banned from public spaces until they reach 18 28 years of age.

Fixed that for ya :D

• Advertisement

correct me if im wrong but i was told the other day that the new cinema in newbridge is going up where the demolition is going on now at the side of dunnes, behind the credit union carpark

as stated in the article i linked to its in the shopping centre, its also in yesterdays Kildare post page 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

It's not so much the kids that I find annoying, it's the staffs complete unwillingness to do anything about it. Go anywhere else, you still get annoyances on mobiles, kids yapping, but if there isn't an attendant in the room already, they're within hailing distance and willing to do something.
    Not so in Storm.

I do like the buy ticket and food in one go idea though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭itchyblood

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/New-cinema-to-be-in.5567494.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

As far as I know, this is the new Lidl store that is being built beside the retail park. The cinema will be within the centre and when the economy improves a new eight screen one will be built beside the White Water where Newbridge Metal Products now stands. Part of the deal with UCI probably does have the clause that when the economic situation improves the new one is built. We should have the cinema in Newbridge before the run uo to Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 collegebear

My sources tell me that the area where the demolition is taking place is going to be a new Lidl. Sorry to burst anybodies bubble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hercules_100_98

The cinema in Newbridge is going into the centre, where it was originally meant to be. There is talk of it being temporary until the economy improves, but there is no way in HELL an operator will go through the trouble to fit out a site only to have to cough up again for a newer site across the road.

The cinema, which will be another Storm, will be in the centre for ever more....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We were sent into a screen by one member of staff, when we walked in we were SHOUTED at by 2 members of staff to get out while they were cleaning.

Another time, there was a teenage girl walking up and down the stairs on her phone for at least half of the film. A member of staff was called to stop it, they did, and as soon as they left she was at it again. The whole audience spent most of the time tutting and sighing rather than watching the film.

Then there was the time we went to see a film, the place was packed, 5 mins, ten mins, 15 mins passed, the film finally started, half on the screen. They stopped it, left us sitting in darkness for a few mins, then came in to tell us that our tickets would be refunded and could we leave. A young man near the front asked about the €20 worth of popcorn/sweets/nachos etc he had gotten and was told he wouldn't be refunded on them, very rudely, in front of everyone.

Needless to say we don't go anymore.

Advertisement