Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Peta/Greenpeace etc.

Options
  • 16-08-2009 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭

This is a thread I've wanted to start for a while, I am interested to know how these fellows are perceived by the veg*ans on here. I've heard alot of bad things about Peta, but at the same time, I've heard of greenpeace putting their boats in front of whale harpoons, which is grand. And I'm sure Peta must do some good things too.

So this thread can be to give your opinion on it and some information as to why you have it maybe. I'm fairly ingnorant of everything except whale harpoons at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

Greenpeace are good.

Peta apparently kill animals after a certain amount of time in their rescue places (or some such crap).

I'm on the fence tbh, how easy is it to believe something you hear on the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

well now there's a huge difference between (the likes of) PETA and Greenpeace. HUGE!

While I agree 100% with the beliefs and aims of PETA I have massive doubts about their methods. I don't mind some supermodel/film star getting a tin of red paint poured over them but I struggle to see how this does the fight against fur any good. I don't believe shock tactics work for any cause, if you have a case to make (and animal rights do have the facts and figures) why piss people off for no gain? PETA strikes me as extremist for the sake of it sometimes.

Greenpeace? I support 100% everything they stand for and the methods they use. I might add I'm quite well informed on Greenpeace issues as I have a mate who works on their ships... currently in the Antarctic!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

PETA...well what can i say about them hmmmm...i agree with some of their principles but, as Slaphead pointed out, their methods of achieving their aims are usually a bit over the top. All that throwing buckets of blood or whatever over people is actually sickening!! imagine the possible health implications from that happening:( And the standing in front of fur shops etc, like that small bunch do near Grafton St in Dublin, is a total waste of time.

Greenpeace...alot of the stuff they do is reasonably sound, like mentioned before parking themselves infront of whale harpoons, and the advertising they do is more in line with how i would like to see things done regarding "spreading a message". But i DO think that the guys n girls on the boats can do some dangerous stuff like latching onto trawlers/ships and endangering not only their lives but that of the crews:(

There will always be good and bad, even if we had an emotionless society like the one portrayed in "Equilibrium", someone will have an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Yes , after a few google searches and what I've heard here it seems to me that Peta are just a bunch of douche-wods really.
    I'm on the fence tbh, how easy is it to believe something you hear on the internet?
    It's very easy I guess, but then again the internet isn't really the worst source for information these days. A forum like this would be as reliable as regular people are. And slaphead there appears to be a very good source too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

PETA... hypocrites, do some good but a lot of bad ideals and methods. Disgusting really.
    I'm sure they have a lot of outstanding members but you know, bit misguided organisation...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

After Peta urged Ben and Gerry's to stop using cow's milk and instead use breast milk in their ice cream I can't take anything they say seriously. They are a downright embarrassment and their methods do much more harm than good to the principals of Veganism/Vegetarianism.

Having the general public thinking we are all a bunch of paint throwing extremists is definitely not going to stop animal cruelty.
    Making the vegetarian lifestyle as appealing as possible to the average person is in the best interests of vegetarians but Peta just makes us all seem like a bunch of head cases.
    Normal vegetarians who don't try force their views on anyone else do much more for stopping animal cruelty than over the top activists in my opinion.

I am generally in favour of most of what Greenpeace do, although I do disagree with their policy against genetic engineering of foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I don't know loads on Greenpeace...but as far as i do know, I believe them to be good.

PETA....Hmmm...that's a different kettle of fish. I really don't know what to believe when it comes to them. There has been so much controversy.
    And their tactics...a bit over the top, which just turns people off them. I don't like to be anti-PETA either, I mean, ther general idea is great, they make good posters (although maybe in a lot of peoples views, they objectify women in their 'rather go naked' ads etc) and it seems like they just went a bit too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

good thread :)

personally, i'd agree with most of ye lot about PETA.. theory's good, but they do seem quite dodgy/misguided etc.

read some dodge stats about the amount of animals they rescue, only to put them down when they can't rehome them... again, circumstances etc, i'd be interested in what they actually have to say about those stats/animals.

greenpeace... what i know is all good. serious amount of respect for the ones who put themselves on the line. i dont think i believe in anything passionately enough to do that, and in a way, i envy them that passion.

with regards protesting outside fur shops and tactics like that... i've just finished reading "A Cat In Hell's Chance" about the campaign to close the cat farm in Grove Hill, which was a campaign over a decade long to close the farm that bred cats for vivisection and they did succeed. still a long way to go on that front, but where animals' deaths can bring some 'good' in that they provide food for people, while i can deal with people eating animals, wearing them, as in the fur trade, and experimenting pointlessly on them, as in vivisection, is just sickening and i have little more than disdain and disgust for those that participate knowingly in it, and happily support most organisations dedicated to opposing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dmfod

PETA's advertising is really sexist - I don't support any organisation that exploits women to help animals. They are also completely in thrall to celebrities, regardless of whether they genuinely support animal rights or not as shown by many former models going on to model fur after being in their 'I'd rather go naked' ads! Even Pamela Anderson, who is one of their main models, is full of silicone tested on animals!

Greenpeace are a large corporate NGO who have engaged in numerous 'partnerships' with multinational corporations. Although they do some good things, they are very much a single-issue style organisation with no rational or worked out wider ideology. They are hierarchical and undemocratic and give no say in decisions to 'members' (unlike Amnesty say), who are really just people who donate by direct debit. They also hire chuggers on casual contracts via exploitative temping agencies - I know cos I worked for them - no sick pay, no holidays & sell sell sell cos you make all your wages on commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

dmfod wrote: »
    PETA's advertising is really sexist - I don't support any organisation that exploits women to help animals. They are also completely in thrall to celebrities, regardless of whether they genuinely support animal rights or not as shown by many former models going on to model fur after being in their 'I'd rather go naked' ads! Even Pamela Anderson, who is one of their main models, is full of silicone tested on animals!
    I agree totally...exploitation is one of their "aims" to stamp out, yet they have no problem using people to further their misguided ways. And that Pamela Anderson et al comment, " Hello kettle, i have pot here on the phone for you, he says your black"
    They also hire chuggers on casual contracts via exploitative temping agencies - I know cos I worked for them - no sick pay, no holidays & sell sell sell cos you make all your wages on commission.
    Now this i did NOT know about...i actually hate chuggers, yes hate!:mad: their only purpose is to irritate the s**t out of ya:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

peta scare me, any videos iv seen have completely freaked me out and left my crying in a ball! i dont like the shock tactics :( but i understand they might be needed for some people to see whats going on in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Now this i did NOT know about...i actually hate chuggers, yes hate!:mad: their only purpose is to irritate the s**t out of ya:(

slightly off topic but I hate Chuggers too. Everyday I have to say "no" to several Concern beggers (although they're quiet this week) and I'm sick of it. That's bad enough but on Thursday one called to the door. I explained that there was no way I'd ever encourage this sort of thing at my door and politely said 'no' again. The next day, yes THE NEXT DAY, another one called and before he could even begin his spiel I said a blunt but polite 'no'. "That was quick" he stupidly said. I explained I say 'no' to Concern everyday and now I was saying 'no' at my own front door.

I later emailed Concern pointing out that their tactics may well have hit 'tipping point' where it's putting people off. I went on to point out that I've had a monthly direct-debit with Concern for over a decade and the next time one of these people comes to my door that will end the DD.

I have nothing against someone trying to earn a living and it strikes me as a horrible job but really, I've had enough.

God I feel better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Can't believe they were at your door tow days in a row. Ugh!

Advertisement