Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramway Cottages, Highfield Road

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DoraDora

Thank you Ollaetta - the maps were very informative. It looks like the houses were built on what was described on the older map as 'Rathgar Lodge/Elm View' - the almost/triangular site matches. At one time there were gates to the cul de sac, on Highfield Road. I'm not sure when they were removed. I have tried the 'Rathgar' site, but it doesn't say much abouot these hoouses.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AnneMarie56

I have been told that the Tramway Cottages were built in 1910. My great grandfather Thomas Kelly was a tram inspector and lived in 21 since it was built and there has always been a member of the extended Kelly family living there. My father John Gleeson was brought up in no. 11 by Mr & Mrs Reilly and I am trying to find out about his family. His mother Ellen Gleeson (nee Kelly) used to live in 21. I visited the cottages a week ago and they are lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DoraDora

Thanks for that AnneMarie56 -

So they were relatively newly occupied for the 1911 census. I knew the Kelly family - and I knew of your father and the Reillys - older members of my family - particularly my older brother (who is now in America), would have known him better. The last time he was home - a few months ago - he was remembering your father. (my brother is 80 - would that fit with your Dad?)

Cheers
    DoraDora

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Dora, would your brother have any memories of the Hughes family that lived in Number 1 ? I'd appreciate anything that he might remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AnneMarie56

DoraDora wrote: »
    Thanks for that AnneMarie56 -

So they were relatively newly occupied for the 1911 census. I knew the Kelly family - and I knew of your father and the Reillys - older members of my family - particularly my older brother (who is now in America), would have known him better. The last time he was home - a few months ago - he was remembering your father. (my brother is 80 - would that fit with your Dad?)

Cheers
    DoraDora

Thanks so much for this DoraDora - my Dad would have been 87 (he died in 1998) and I would really appreciate anything your brother remembers. I know nothing about my father's father William Gleeson except that he was born in Tipperary and was a gardener - but I can't find him on the 1911 census. I have to say the Irish census site is fantastic and very user friendly.
    Thanks again
    AnneMarie56

• Advertisement
Advertisement