Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeffs Journal (Vol 1, Issue 2)

Options
  • 16-08-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭

Jeffs Journal
    Vol 1 issue 2

Last weeks issue seemed to be a success so here we are again on issue two. Unfortunately Frankie was busy and has not been able to get his articles in but when they are done we will stick them below as a bumper edition. We will have the same as last week and when frankie gets it done a new weekly article he will be doing. So enjoy.

Results

League 1

Home TeamvAway TeamResult
    Bart the Cantankerous GnomevAshton42-0
    music boxersvForza Juve27-14
    Curly Sue Death SquadvScorched Earth0-37

League 2

XaviXIvLunster23-27
    Everyone Likes A TryervMunster Mark II21-12
    Banner WarriorsvWondering Wanderers14-24

League 3

Geraldine RFCvCork Hurricanes24-0
    GideonsvThe Rebels13-6
    Templeogue SeniorsvA Lovely Bunch Althogether7-20

League 4

dead hard fcukersvWexford Blues12-22
    Daves DangermenvBogwarriors10-45
    Raging BullsvConleth's29-14

Orizios Team Of The Week:

1. Phillip Webbe (Geraldine RFC)
    2. Shaun Dempsey (Everyone Likes A Tryer)
    3. Darragh McNamara (A Lovely Bunch Altogether)
    4. Brandon Doran (Lunster)
    5. Brendan Mulroony (Gideons)
    6. Sean McCaron (Scorched Earth)
    7. Florencia Gieco (Scorched Earth)
    8. Terrell Radnage (The Cantankerous Gnomes)

9. Duke Mawby (Wondering Wanderers)
    10. Hakim Falco (musicboxers)
    11. Jake Hickey (Bogwarriors)
    12. Vic Sloman (Bogwarriors)
    13. Harry Herlihy (Raging Bulls)
    14. Declan Phillips (Geraldine RFC)
    15. Patrick Brown (Wexford Blues)

Attack Of The Week: Bogwarriors

Defense Of The Week: Scorched Earth

Scrum Of The Week: Geraldine RFC

Lineout Of The Week: Raging Bulls

Top Point Scorer: Phil Hookes 17 (Scorched Earth)

Player Of The Week: Vic Sloman (Bogwarriors)

Team Of The Week: Bogwarriors

By Orizio:eek:

Reviews

We hope to have a review of every game in next weeks issue.

Quotes

I've never been great at english but is coasting a word? - AJeffares, well I thought I was being smart

Tis a word alright http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Coasting - Oisinjm, put me to shame

Never Mind. - JPrender, the greatest most intelligent post everbiggrin.gif

I'm finding this league change quite easy actually. 3 wins out of 4. cool.gif - Orizio, two games into the season. Must have been a typo.

Yes. That was a 'typo' (two of them, in fact). wink.gif - Orizio confirms it was a typo

by AJeffares

The National Corner

The NT v US summary

In BR US are a strong team and a member of the elite club known as "the big 4" but Ireland were on form. Having england straight after took some attention off this game but it was always going to be tough. Tactics and gameplan were set but then in its usual clumsy fashion, trouble arrived. It came in the form of an E-Mail from Kingblingaa the US manager. In it he said he will be TNTing against us. But Priest, the ex-Irish manager helped when he said "King is an arse, always trying to mess with ye. Completely ignoring him is by far your best option, probably even more effective than my method of pissing right back"

So he was ignored and Hdemoel went on and played his own game. Unfortunately we lost 27-17 but on the positive we did deny them a bonus and we scored 17. But Lineouts were aweful and we did miss out on a bonus point ourselves. But most people weren't too upset and some even honoured that US would feel the need to TNT us.

Hdemoel wasn't too upset afterwards when he said "not too disappointed. We got TNT-ed by a far better team, but we hold our ground quite well. I can imagine our hooker and lock making a mess of it in their bad form but I think our defensive line may have worked ok. At least we witheld them a bonus point (though a bonus point ourselves would have been even nicer)" So it was a lose, but not a disappointing one.

But the real match is the one v England. This will be a big test and if Hdemoel can pull it off he will be a hero. Tomorrow is the big game against the English. Hdemoel said pre-match that "Yesterday they played their B-squad on normal intensity en still won from Wales who were TNT-ing. In other words, they have a very well rounded squad with plenty of depth and it’s going to be difficult to beat them" But everyone has hope

Ireland ended up losing to England in the end despite playing TNT but it is early days yet.

By AJeffares

Previews

Forza Juve vs. The Cantankerous Gnomes

Game or the round material here. Two relatively high CSR teams here, Gnomes with a bit more squad depth and Forza Juve with the two strongest players. Statistically, the Gnomes seem to have a more dangerous attack, although one has to allow for the fact that the Gnomes are in a division below Forza Juve, while both teams seem to have similar tactics. One obvious area of advantage is in discipline, Forza Juve with a far stronger record in terms of penalties won/conceded. Regarding set piece, and going by their round 2 games, the Gnomes lineout and scrums completely dominated - in the scrum, the Gomes have a bit more bulk, while there is little doubt where the lineout will be strongest, the Gnomes clearly dominating in height and bulk. With this in mind, the Gnomes by 15+.

Bogwarriors vs. Dead Hard Fcukers

Two pre-tournament favourites here. Similar to our first preview, both teams have strong CSR levels, DHF having the strongest players but Bogwarriors having greater depth in the squad. Both teams are extremely similar - both are topping their Division 4 leagues, both are extremely alike statistically, although Bogwarriors play a little more with ball in hand and steal a few more scrums. Both teams are very solid in terms of discipline. Both front and second rows are of a comparable size, although the Bogwarriors have the tallest lock. Should be a close one, although Bogwarriors 100% record so far suggest they may sneak it.

By Orizio

Match to Watch

The Cantankerous Gnomes v Forza Juve

This match is going to be big, no, EPIC. JohnButlers Gnomes having a massive 19 players over 10k CSR but none over 20k. Cornys Forza Juve having 14 players over 10k CSR and none over 20k despite being a league higher in div III. Forza Juves Bari weighs in at 136kg which will make him the heaviest man on the pitch by 8kg. Maybe an area to take advantage of. Gnomes have three players over 200cm. Forza Juve only have two. Overall it will be tight in the pack.

Although they have less players over 10k CSR Forza Juve do have the best player on the pitch. Harles Lavalle with over 19k CSR. This could make a big difference if he has a good game. Fabian Bishop is another player who could make a huge difference also over 19k CSR (but I have a feeling by the time the match takes place he will be well over 20k)

Anyway, its prediction time. This match will be decided by intensity. Whichever team TNTs will win. But if the match is played on equal intensity there are a few things to take into account. This is a friendly which means injurys which means squad depth will have an impact giving Gnomes an advantage there but I still think Forza Juve would scrape the match when their big game players take the stand. I'm going to say low scoring game 18-17 to Forza Juve. But if gnomes play with a high intensity you never know.

By AJeffares

Note: All stats were correct at time of writing

Extra

Odds after Round 2:

music boxers 5/1
    Wondering Wanderers 6/1
    Wexford Blues 7/1
    The Cantankerous Gnomes 9/1
    Bogwarriors 10/1

Everyone Likes A Tryer 12/1
    A Lovely Bunch Altogether 12/1
    Dead Hard Fcukers 15/1
    Forza Juve 15/1
    Geraldine RFC 15/1

Scorched Earth 15/1
    Munster Mark II 18/1
    Cork Hurricanes 18/1
    Lunster 20/1
    Gideons 20/1

Raging Bulls 20/1
    Everyone else 50/1

By Orizio

Notes

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed the issue. Look out for the bumper pack below with frankies writings. Please leave comments below. More reviews is on th to-do-list so don't worry. Does everyone like the idea of an International Corner? Please let us know which is your fav bit (It gets us trying a little harder;)) And would anyone like the league table to be included weekly? Thanks again for reading. P.S. Sorry for the delay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

I dont think there is a need for the league table - maybe just a link to the website?

I like the international bit as I rarely keep up with them goings on as my players are no where near that!!:p

One thing is maybe a review of the best match in each league? in addition to the match of the round maybe a sub section that then has the match with most potential in the other leagues to be previewed also? This is the section that interests me most, reading about the other teams and the predictions of the results!

Again guys great effort - Frankie look forward to your piece!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

Nice job guys...a good read as always! Jeffs Journal has become the literary highlight of my week!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Great read, dont think theres a need for the league table every week. Just keep what you're doing

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Eireannach

This was an awesome post. Thanks for taking your time to do it. I hope to join the cup next season.

Eire - Killarney RFC
    League V.84

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Eireannach wrote: »
    This was an awesome post. Thanks for taking your time to do it. I hope to join the cup next season.

Eire - Killarney RFC
    League V.84

I'm sorry Eireannach, we have a strict 'no Kerry people' policy, we (well me mainly) find that the poor personal hygiene and lack of basic manners of your 'people' brings down the general tone of the whole tournament. :)

Maybe you should move to civilisation Cork, and re-apply in a few seasons. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Eireannach wrote: »

Eire - Killarney RFC
    League V.84

Ignore orizio he's crazy;)
    Sign the players list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Great post aj... I also look forward to it! The only thing I think could be added was a review of some of the games... tho this might have been the piece you were waiting on. Would it be any use if we said the winner had to submit a small review on their match?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Many of the winners wouldn't do it + we only will do short reviews not to much trouble

Advertisement