Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Shelving Project

Options
  • 16-08-2009 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have got some old scaffold boards and intend to turn them into book shelves in my sitting room. I have a problem with the boards, they have plaster and cement on them which scrapes off ok but when I sand the board the remains of the plaster / cement get caught in the grain, it gives a sort of limewashed look which is fine except its dusty and not a suitable finish. I have tried to wash in white spirt thinkiign this will remove the dust but it doesnt, any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

u try a power planer? may need a new set of blades after but would prob do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

hargis wrote: »
    I have got some old scaffold boards and intend to turn them into book shelves in my sitting room. I have a problem with the boards, they have plaster and cement on them which scrapes off ok but when I sand the board the remains of the plaster / cement get caught in the grain, it gives a sort of limewashed look which is fine except its dusty and not a suitable finish. I have tried to wash in white spirt thinkiign this will remove the dust but it doesnt, any suggestions?

Plenty of hot water and a scrubbing brush would be my approach. That will raise the grain and liberate much of the cement. Then when they are dry, a belt sander starting with a coarse belt and working down to fine. The problem with old scaffold boards is that the cement etc is generally well impregnated into them over the years, so you might need to remove quite a lot of the surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Use a power hose.

Advertisement